Myrtle Beach, SC

Anthony

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Anthony
Reading the "Close to the Beach" thread motivated me to post a brief Pirep on KMYR. Had an opportunity to share a house on the beach for a week, so I couldn't pass it up. Originally I was going to fly the Tiger to CRE, but realizing the house was at Murrell's Inlet, MYR made much more sense. When I called for tie down costs, MYR was about the same as CRE for a week, and fuel was actually LESS expensive at MYR, plus they gave me a discount at $4.52/gal for using their services for a stretch.

KMYR is a pretty quiet Class C and Clearance Delivery doubles as Ground. The only thing you have to watch are the banner towing planes that fly at 600 ft. and the tour helicopters taking off and landing. They use R44's and I kept seeing them flying over the beach, which reminded me of our old friend Bob Bruneau whom I really miss. I even got the opportunity to fly three of my friends on a site seeing tour along the beach. Weather was great EVERY day. Of course we had to fly over the house. Why do people always want to do that?

The Tiger performed great and going down (from KLEX) with a bit of a tail wind, saw mostly 150 - 160 knots GS at 9,500 most of the trip with a stint at 10,500 to get over some buildups and Charlotte's airspace which the eventually cleared me through anyway. Coming back to Philly saw more "normal" ground speeds in the 130's. Its nice turning a 10 hour drive into three or three and a half hours.

Well, I got in some golf, ate well, got sunburned and thoroughly enjoyed the beach and getting to fly makes it so much nicer. Sometimes GA works very well and this time was one of them. :D

KCRE is another nice airport to fly into, if you don't feel like dealing with the Class C. And from what I can remember, gas and tie down fees are a little cheaper at Grand Strand. I flew down there the 4th of July this year and had a really fun time watching the banner pilots pick up the banners (if you have never seen one before, I recommend going to youtube and searching for it).

We're thinking about a weekend getaway to Ocracoke......I guess I should look for a place to stay, Mary might not like sleeping in the plane.

We both like Myrtle Beach too and would use CRE, Grand Strand again in a heartbeat.

KCRE is another nice airport to fly into, if you don't feel like dealing with the Class C.

No worries on the Class C, and fuel was cheaper at KMYR. Tiedowns are about the same.

KCRE is another nice airport to fly into, if you don't feel like dealing with the Class C. And from what I can remember, gas and tie down fees are a little cheaper at Grand Strand. I flew down there the 4th of July this year and had a really fun time watching the banner pilots pick up the banners (if you have never seen one before, I recommend going to youtube and searching for it).

Rockefellers is also within walking distance of the FBO; even if they are out of courtesy cars!!

http://www.myrtlebeachscrestaurants.com/Rockefellers-North-Myrtle-Beach.html

Best,

Dave

Back