MYF Parking

Luvrv8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KCMA flyer
I am planning a flight from CMA to MYF Montgomery Field tomarrow and plan to eat at the mexican place on the field. Where do I park? I cant find info as to where the restaurant is located on the field, I assume I have to park at the Terminal. Anyone have any insight?

You can park in the "wedge " between RWY 5 and 28L...the Mexican place is right there ..visible from parking...

Crown Air, if memory serves, is the name of the FBO that's right in front of the restaurant. Neat little airport, and a fantastic restaurant. Enjoy!

The transient parking ramp is literally right in front of the restaurant. Casa Machado is on the second floor. After you clear the runway, you'll be looking at it - the two story building - there is usually an SNJ/T-6 parked in front.

Now, since you said you were coming in tomorrow - be advised that 28L is closed right now for resurfacing. That means ALL traffic (IFR and VFR) is going to 28R.

I went up during lunch time today - it was the busiest I have ever seen MYF - could barely get a word in on the freq, people stepping on each other constantly. Tower was doing a decent job, but was stressed too.

If you are instrument rated, definitely go IFR - it will make your life so much easier getting sequenced in. If you can't go IFR, then just keep your head on a swivel and be prepared to orbit for a while while you try to contact the tower.

Not trying to scare or discourage you, just want to give you a heads up. It was nuts today.

And make sure you don't get stuck in the TFR for the Big O - he's coming on Friday.

In addition to the other points made, coming from CMA I assume you'll fly down the coast. If so, expect:

A clearance through the Class B when just south of oceanside, whether you request it or not. The controllers in San Diego are total santa clauses. :D

With the above, a clearance "direct mt. soledad, direct myf". If you have a GPS, Id put VPSMS on your flight plan enroute MYF and not think about it again. You'll fly to a stubby little mountain covered in antennae.

A pile of "rut roh, hornet's nest" grade traffic south of La Jolla, which is about 3mi north of VPSMS. Both inbound and outbound traffic is compressed by the goofy Miramar Class B, and it's often a mix of turboprops, pistons, and no-speaky students.

Right when you start getting antsy about all of the traffic, SoCal will drop you like french class with a "Radar Service Terminated", usually while still in the class B and descending to 1800. I've been booted at 2500 with F-18s flying right under me. I've never been coordinated all the way to MYF, which is funny, since SoCal Approach is in their backyard, and could coordinate with tower using a note tied to a brick.

Sometimes MYF asks me to squawk 0400 inbound, some sort of local code.

Whether true in actuality or not, MYF seems like a training tower to me. Certain of the controllers get flustered easily. Some are amazing and pro. Out-yeager them on comms, and be vigilant for screwups or frequency-destroying confusion and clarification. It sucks to be on short final, sans landing clearance, while Haji tries to explain which of the freeways he's actually over (come to find out he's trying to land at Gillespie.... schmuck.). Somehow they make it all work out.

Also, Casa Machado makes a badass Arnold Palmer. Just saying. :D

$0.02,

- Mike

"Out-Yeager them on Comms"... That made me laugh out loud.

I know they're not all training towers, but I suspect with the lack of hiring filling the three-years-to-fully-qualified pipeline that we'll all feel like most towers are "training towers" soon enough. There's only so much brain drain that any organization like NTS can handle in a decade. Not that the new kids aren't qualified, but the 20 year veterans we're all used to are disappearing. Slowly.

Thanks or the help. I plan to fly the coast so I will be adding the check point in. I am borrowing my friends 177/g, so I will spend some time setting up the 530 even though I am vfr. This flight is nothing more then lunch and adding cross country time I need for my ifr ticket, I only have 35 hrs cc time.

Thanks or the help. I plan to fly the coast so I will be adding the check point in. I am borrowing my friends 177/g, so I will spend some time setting up the 530 even though I am vfr. This flight is nothing more then lunch and adding cross country time I need for my ifr ticket, I only have 35 hrs cc time.

Since you are going VFR, definitely use Flight Following, that will help the coordination to get in. As busy as the tower was today, you may still have to orbit/wait to enter the MYF class D, but at least you'll reduce your risk of busting airspace if you are initially talking to Approach.

Enjoy the flight...and the food!

Thanks again for the help. I dont fly anywhere without flight following, I have never been denied it.

Got to the hanger early this morning, fueled the plane, did a pre flight, got weather, programed the 530 and double checked everything. As far as I could tell things were perfect. I even thought to myself things were too good. My passenger showed up early so in the plane we go. I close the door and lock it and the door handle free wheels. I removed the handle to find the teeth are gone. I knew things were going too good. I call Toms aircraft to order a new handle, we will try this again Monday. I am glad this handle broke on a time building flight and not a flight that we had to be someplace.

Last edited:
Back