My Yosemite trip

Nice - ! There is a Mariposa / Yosemite fly-in this November, I was thinking of going, how was the airport?

Kimberly

Wow that looks like too much fun. You've got me hooked! I hope to get out there soon. I have seen a lot of the national parks but not Yosemite. Looks awesome.

That looks amazing Dave!

I'm glad the natives around KMPI didn't bother you too much. They tend to be a little ..... strange :D

Thanks, all! It was a spectacular 3 day vacation.
K. - the airport is great, the folks were awesome! But I think the fly-in was yesterday :(

Very nice, Dave! I haven't been to Yosemite since I was college age. I need to go again.

Dave, most excellent presentation! It is exhilirating to summit half dome. What I especially like is as one gets nearer to the dome, trail chatter drops off. Then into the climb it is as if everyone is now on their personal journey yet there is that common bond of everyone attempting the same goal.

John Muir said, "Climb the mountains and seek their good tidings."

John Denver said, "...and his sight has turned inside himself...".

Yosemite is a vast playground. And you never made it out of the valley!

I suspect most pilots don't think 5,000 is that high. Try hiking at that elevation!

That was AMAZING! That first picture of the cables on the descent--Whooo! And the video... how long did you stay at the top? And how long was the flight out there. You were SO close to Sedona, stopping at Cottonwood!

Thanks for sharing. Never been there, must MUST go sometime.

Troy
I stayed at the top for 15 mins or less. It was definitely a rush trip, had to get back.
The flight was 900miles or about 6 hours.
I have been to Sedona and the memory of the swirling 30kt winds, going from full throttle to throttle off to stay somewhere near a normal approach path was not a great memory so we went to Cottonwood!

The whole thing was a tremendous, whirlwind thrill - the entire week before I was running through all the things that could kibosh it - but I got tremendously lucky with weather, mx, health etc etc.
Family almost put a brakes on the plan thanks to all the deaths there this year :( but the "carabiner negotiation" save the day.

BTW my body has still not recovered from the ordeal!

A bit late here but I have flown into Mariposa as well. A family member has a ranch in town and the town has a great antique sale once a year. It make it easy to get the wife in the plane so she can shop and I get some flight time. Density altitude can sneak up on you there, well on me since I fly a older 172 with 145 HP. I felt the local pilots there were very nice and love to fly there 2X a year.

My last Yosemite trip my motorcycle broke in the middle to the valley. I had to order the broken part from Fresno, and once it arrived (after about a week in the bush, yahoo!) had to repair it with my emergency tool kit. Quite a holiday. Gorgeous place.

Back