My Wife's First Flight

LauraE51

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Laura
After 42 years out of PIC, i earned my BFR in August and anxiously awaited the arrival of my wife's Bose A20 so i could take her up. She tends to get motion sickness when we drive curvy mountain roads, so i had some anxiety about the flight.

We did a popular flight in Northern CA, the Bay Tour to the Golden Gate. i'm fortunate that Mia loved the flight and i can hardly wait to travel with her again.

i'm a lucky man.

2014-09-14%2010.45.58%20HDR.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3f73hduvodzycef/2014-09-14%2010.46.03.jpg

Last edited:
Your are a lucky man, indeed! Find out specifically she liked about the experience and work on that. Make her happy and it will pay off big.

That is great!

My wife gets motion sickness in turbulence. When we go on XCs she uses scopolamine patches which work like a champ even in very bad turbulence.

That is great!

My wife gets motion sickness in turbulence. When we go on XCs she uses scopolamine patches which work like a champ even in very bad turbulence.

I still worry about her and motion sickness. She did mention that she began to feel a bit queasy in the pattern. KTCY, where i fly, has a large rock quarry that causes some moderate chop on final. The patches sound like a good idea.

Brian

Last edited:
My wife has always been very timid about flying. Her first trip started with 'bummer I can't make it to my best friends baby shower' which was of course the opportunity I was just waiting for: 'No problem honey, we can be up and back the same day :D'.

As for motion sickness:

- Fly early in the morning before the thermals kick in
- no airwork. Smooth does it. Keep vents open.
- no big pattern flying adventures, depart straight out, dont fly a pattern if you dont have to. Just line up in away that you can fly a base entry or straight-in final (I know, its heresy, but if serves to keep the pax happy).

Last edited:
My wife has always been very timid about flying. Her first trip started with 'bummer I can't make it to my best friends baby shower' which was of course the opportunity I was just waiting for: 'No problem honey, we can be up and back the same day :D'.

As for motion sickness:

- Fly early in the morning before the thermals kick in
- no airwork. Smooth does it. Keep vents open.
- no big pattern flying adventures, depart straight out, dont fly a pattern if you dont have to. Just line up in away that you can fly a base entry or straight-in final (I know, its heresy, but if serves to keep the pax happy).

Excellent advice. She's a keeper and i really want to take her to new places. She loves the view (well, don't we all).

I still worry about her and motion sickness. She did mention that she began to feel a bit queasy in the pattern. KTCY, where i fly, has a large rock quarry that causes some moderate chop on final. The patches sound like a good idea.

Brian

Flew into TCY in June and experienced that chop over the quarry. Nice little airport though. I used to live in Tracy. Aways great to have your spouse along enjoying the experience. What are you flying Brian?

Last edited:
Brian can you share you story about not being PIC for 42 years and getting current again? How many hours did it take you to get current again? why did you decide to get current? Thanks.

David

Flew into TCY in June and experienced that chop over the quarry. Nice little airport though. I used to live in Tracy. Aways great to have your spouse along enjoying the experience. What are you flying Brian?

SkyView has three, nice C172Ps and they've now added a couple 172Ns which i like too. It still feels a bit strange flying a faster plane, even 42 years removed from my C152 days.

That is great!

My wife got some motion sickness but she purchased the Seaband from walgreens and has not had any issue since.
Just a thought

My wife got some motion sickness but she purchased the Seaband from walgreens and has not had any issue since.
Just a thought

i have that on my Amazon wish list, so it's nice to have a PIREP about it.

thanks,

brian

After 42 years out of PIC, i earned my BFR in August and anxiously awaited the arrival of my wife's Bose A20 so i could take her up. She tends to get motion sickness when we drive curvy mountain roads, so i had some anxiety about the flight.

We did a popular flight in Northern CA, the Bay Tour to the Golden Gate. i'm fortunate that Mia loved the flight and i can hardly wait to travel with her again.

i'm a lucky man.

2014-09-14%2010.45.58%20HDR.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3f73hduvodzycef/2014-09-14 10.46.03.jpg

Glad to hear it all worked out and she enjoys flying.

I remember the concern I had right before taking my wife on her first flight after getting my PPL. Her father passed away in a plane crash when she was 5 so I was convinced we weren't going to leave the pattern.

To my amazement, she loved it kind of like my dog getting to go for a car ride. And to this day when we hit turbulance she tightens down her lap belt (after hitting the ceiling once) and giggles saying it reminds her of bouncing around in her Jeep. I was also a fortunate husband:yes:

We use ginger candies and so far so good for air sickness.

That's wonderful! I have never had motion sickness in the air, but I didn't have a ton of interest in flying before my husband started taking lessons. Then I feel in love with it.

My second lesson is on Sunday. :D

Hope she is able to get past feeling sick and y'all can have some good flights together!

Good for you.

Its been a year and still cant get the Mrs in the plane...

Of course that might be a blessing as once I do, she will love it and want to come with me all the time.....I wont know how much I'm doing wrong until she fly's with me though :rofl::rofl:

Back