My wife made me change my vanity plate.

Mafoo

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mafoo
So I got a new vanity plate:

"0 AGL"

In new Hampshire, you can not start a plate with a number, and you can not have a space after the first character, so the best I could do was:

"OAGL"

The O and the 0 look the same in NH, so no worries there. However after she drove my Jeep, she said she felt embarrassed, because she thought the plate would be interpreted as "ogle", and that she thought everyone should look at her lustfully. Like she thought she was the hottest thing in the world.

So $70 later, it now says ZEROAGL

If she finds that offensive, she can stop driving it :)

:rofl: My hubby once bought a vanity plate for my car that was supposed to say HI THERE, but instead said HITHERE. Once we got a divorce, someone pointed out that my plate (on the rear of my Pinto) could be interpreted as HIT HERE.

:rofl: My hubby once bought a vanity plate for my car that was supposed to say HI THERE, but instead said HITHERE. Once we got a divorce, someone pointed out that my plate (on the rear of my Pinto) could be interpreted as HIT HERE.

Which is precisely why the back of my truck says "Dodge!"

There's an urban legend that early-on, someone in California got the vanity plate NONE. He immediately began receiving hundreds of parking tickets in the mail.

There's an urban legend that early-on, someone in California got the vanity plate NONE. He immediately began receiving hundreds of parking tickets in the mail.

I'm old, that one went right over my head. Can you explain it? I don't get it at all, why would "NONE" be a qualifier for parking tickets? :confused:

-John

I knew a woman who had a plate that read "HIYA QT"> She got rid of it after a year.

Mine has my ham radio call sign on it... but some day I hope to trade that in for a different N-number. It's too bad my existing call sign is not valid for an aircraft registration number. There is a range where the two overlap, but I'm not even going to try to find one that's available in both ham and bird flavors.

Edit: The hands-down best one I ever saw read, '3M 3T1B'. I was scratching my head when I saw it... I knew it was a custom plate, but couldn't figure out its significance. Then I drove past and took another glance, this time in the rear view mirror.

Last edited:
I'm old, that one went right over my head. Can you explain it? I don't get it at all, why would "NONE" be a qualifier for parking tickets? :confused:

-John

because in the box where the cop has to write down the plate, if there isn't one, he will write NONE.

I don't get the plate. Does any pilot really want to be at 0 AGL? :no:

One of my favorite places in the world is 2,500 AGL.

When the Air and Space - Dulles Annex plates came available (they have an SR-71 on them) I ordered a set for my wife and myself. Mine have my amateur radio call sign on it. Margy's has the Navion N number. She asked why I put the N number on her plates. I asked her what her license plate number was before (she had no idea). I asked her what it was now...

I've never really understood the point of vanity plates. I want my license plate number to be as inconspicuous and difficult to remember as possible. No, I don't use customized license plate frames either.

You think he might have thought about it and that's why he put it on your car anyway. :dunno: :D

I've never really understood the point of vanity plates. I want my license plate number to be as inconspicuous and difficult to remember as possible. No, I don't use customized license plate frames either.

I would think someone who wants to look like a marketing company threw up on them when they ride a bike, would love vanity plates. :)

Last edited:
I would think someone who wants to look like a maketing company threw up on them when they ride a bike, would love vanity plates. :)

lol! Too funny. :D

Just picked up plates for my wifes new car this morning. Turns out the random number they gave me on the 'farm plates' is a palindrome. As my wife still prides herself in being a math major, that seems rather fitting (now for anyone who is not a numbers freak, it will be hard to write down the correct number of 2s and 4s).

It is the only nice car I have ever bought, after the clerk rang up my credit card for the rather hefty sales tax she stated with a good deapan delivery: The state of Maryland thanks you for paying down our deficit.

I was randomly assigned "HP 7700" in Colorado (and I was flying with an organization called the Hoffman Pilot center at the time).

because in the box where the cop has to write down the plate, if there isn't one, he will write NONE.
Having written thousands of parking tickets in my life, if it doesn't have a plate I would put the VIN in the space instead. I think that is the common practice.

I was randomly assigned "HP 7700" in Colorado (and I was flying with an organization called the Hoffman Pilot center at the time).

My cell number ends in 7700. When I need to give it to an aviation company, they want to know who I bribed. It's just the number AT&T assigned me.

When the Air and Space - Dulles Annex plates came available (they have an SR-71 on them) I ordered a set for my wife and myself. Mine have my amateur radio call sign on it. Margy's has the Navion N number. She asked why I put the N number on her plates. I asked her what her license plate number was before (she had no idea). I asked her what it was now...

Ron! Margy! I didn't make the connection (all these years since rec.aviation....) until now.

Sheesh.

I always liked TWIFFIC.

A local Aggie wanted a vanity plate but didn't want to pay the annual fee. He later found that a name change was cheaper and is now known as 4C7 842.

Now that right there is funny.

My vanity plate is an in-house joke at work. Years ago I transported in my ambulance a sick dolphin from the beach to a holding tank and was promptly suspended for a week. So now my plate is FLIPR (flipper)

Which is precisely why the back of my truck says "Dodge!"

And I bet the front of it says Ram? Could you make up your mind?

For years I've been threatening to get my wife a plate that says "PBPEDUS" if she doesnt' slow down...

I knew the Iranian student at USC in 1978 who had the Porsche Carrera which had the plate 'QQQQ' for almost 3 months before the DMV took it back.

My wife has 'LUV SAWX' but needed to get a Red Sox license plate frame to make it clear.

My favorite "The DMV has no sense of humor that we are aware of" is the recall of this plate:

eat-the-kids-first-400x269.jpg

Don't forget this one:

Attachments

• timmaylicenseplate.jpg
    timmaylicenseplate.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 26
Back