My very last political post

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Ok - looking back at my posts, most of them have been more political, or just NA. That needs to stop. But first:

I just got into an argument with my father that I never thought I'd have with him. He is very intelligent in almost every way I can fathom.

He comes to me today and says "So did you hear that they are evacuating some of the people from Katrina to New Mexico?" He then rolls his eyes.

"Why is that bad, dad," I asked?

"They're giving them money and jobs that we need as New Mexicans. This is a poor state. We need to take care of our own, first!"

I was flabbergasted. All I could said was "We are taking care of our own. We are all people. We are all Americans. They need all the help we can give them."

He made a strong argument, but it just left me stupified that someone that close to me could made that argument. I'm really confused right now.

With that said - no more politics. I am a pilot, and this is a pilot board. Time for me to spend more time flying and talking about flying. This, I vow!

Hey, Nick, I understand where he is coming from. But you know what? This event is bigger than anything we can wrap our minds around, and everyone - everyone - has to do something.

Or we are not the people we profess to be.

We are all going to be affected by this disaster whether we want to admit it or not!

SCCutler said:
Hey, Nick, I understand where he is coming from. But you know what? This event is bigger than anything we can wrap our minds around, and everyone - everyone - has to do something.

Or we are not the people we profess to be.

We're taking about 25,000 of the refuges over here in Seattle which will help a little but not enough help to teach people not to live in historically regular floodplains...

Last edited:
NIck,

I've heard some of the same in San Antonio. "Can't make 'em comfortable here, they're taking our jobs". One person on talk radio even had the gall to say "they might give us a disease or something". Not to mention the school board member that wanted to keep the evacuees segregated.

I am left disgusted by the whole thing.

You know, there are places in this country where there just isn't enough labor.

My company's warehouse is located in Hagerstown, MD. Unemployment is about 1% - basically we're talking about the unemployable. Companies are building warehouses in the area because land is available and there's excellent highway access and access to the port of Baltimore. We have trouble keeping people because wages are climbing.

I suspect that they could absorb a lot more workers with sufficient skills for warehouse work than other parts of the country.

Surely the feds could look at local unemployment in selecting locations to place the displaced.

For every stupid bigot, there are hundreds if not thousands of Americans wilingl and able to help those displaced improve their lot in life. Some will be burdens to the rest of us, some always have been. But, the most of them will find jobs, and buy things from other with jobs, and raise good families wherever they are. I know some in my small hometown who would not welcome them. So what? As long as the displaced are willing to contribute then they are welcome.

I dare say that this will be the best thing that ever happened to some families and the worst thing that ever happened to others; and in most cases the result will be up to the individual and their new community, not the government.

As you know, Texas has over 250,000 folks from NO area now. Dallas has over 25,000. As Alan said, it's wonderful, but not without issues. Most of the working folks seem to have moved and are assimilating. Our hearts go out to all. Many question what we will do with the ill, infirm and those that won't/don't/can't work.

I find it heartwarming that we open our city and homes first, then try to figure out how to address the longer term issues. If I were in their shoes, that's sure the manner in which I'd like to see things happen.

I certainly understand those that have reservations, but in times like these, let's get s a roof over their head, necessities and the kids in school while we work out the other issues.

Best,

Dave

Desaster brings the worst/best out of all people.

Just a note - we've started to get refugees in Philly now as well. The plane with the first group landed today. 36 so far. Philly has space ready for 150, with plans to house 1000.

One local native who was living in NO was quoted as saying that he wants to go back as soon as he can.

Back