My turn to land at a Bravo

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
Landed at KTPA with a full stop, taxi back, in the Mooney this morning. It was pretty anti-climactic. There was very little traffic. But it was still worth the experience. Nice to be able to do it low stress like this.

I called up approach at 30 miles out on a straight in for 19 and asked them if they could fit me in for a landing at TPA. They checked with the tower and cleared me into the Bravo. I got cleared for a straight in landing on 19L about 20 miles out. LOL I'm telling you, the place was deader than a doornail.

I flew WOT as long as possible, though it was unnecessary, but I got to see the difficulty I've heard about slowing down a Mooney on final. I pulled the throttle all the way out at 4 miles and it just didn't want to slow down to gear speed if I kept it on the glideslope. I had to pull the nose up a bit to slow her down enough to drop the wheels.

Didn't even get to talk to ground it was so dead, tower switched me directly to C/D while I was still on the runway. Had to wait a couple minutes for a clearance to get out, but I was on my way within 5 minutes.

Everything was easy except for the frequency and heading change just as I was pulling onto the runway, but even that wasn't an issue. Just gave me some more to do. Anyway, I'm no match for the pros that post videos here so I'm not even going to edit the footage. Feel free to watch the raw footage of the landing if you'd like....

Congrats I’ve done TPA during regular days. The big challenge is to be sure to avoid Macdills class D . The controllers are always helpful and accommodating.

Were you there around noon? I thought I heard a Mooney while I was doing the bridge transition.

Were you there around noon? I thought I heard a Mooney while I was doing the bridge transition.
Probably not me, I landed around 10:20 and left Tampa departure freq sometime before 11. There was another Mooney doing approaches at Lakeland when I was leaving. Might have heard him.

TPA is one of those Class Bs that does get a fair bit of lighter traffic. Gas isn't completely unreasonable and they have a shorter runway next to the FBOs. Good work on your first Class B flight.

Maybe I’ll do Orlando next week in a light sport. Lol

but I got to see the difficulty I've heard about slowing down a Mooney on final. I pulled the throttle all the way out at 4 miles and it just didn't want to slow down to gear speed if I kept it on the glideslope.

Correct, a clean Mooney pointed downhill isn’t slowing down. Waiting for you to collect Orlando next.

Way to go! Envy on the getting to full stop and not have to pull into a FBO.

Back