My trip to Oshkosh (long)

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
I have been to the big show at Oshkosh 5 or 6 times since 1978. But this is the first time I actually flew in. My wife Sharon and I sort of got coerced into flying up by my 195 buddy, John Barron. We met at his place in Perry MO at about 9:45 AM for a 10:30 departure. There were 3 195's there that were all going as a group to OSH. We took off at 10:30 sharp, and one other 195 met us over the field. We met one more 195 about 10 minutes later for a total of 5 Cessna 195s flying as a group.

I wasn't too keen on flying as a group during the arrival into Oshkosh. When we started our descent, I pulled back a bit on the speed to get a bit of room between us and to get to Ripon at the required 90 knots and 1800 feet. Thing of it was that everybody and their brother showed up at Ripon at the same time. I was doing the 90 knots at 1800 feet and trying to get into sequence. I was following a Cessna on floats about a quarter mile behind and slightly to the right. A Cessna 140 pulled up beside me. One of our 195 group passed me below. I was at 70 knots trying to get spacing and a good single file line for sequencing. There were just too many airplanes for that.

While all this was going on, the poor controller at Fisk sounded frazzled. It was all he could do to keep up. Finally, he told the Cessna Floatplane in front of me to go around Rush lake. He was on my right and pulled out right in front of me. I made a hard right turn and decided that I was going to lead the pack around the lake, so I pretty much went to full throttle and did the loop around the lake. When I got back to Ripon, there were no airplanes around, so I followed the tracks to Fisk, and was told to make a right downwind to 27 and contact tower. From there it was a piece of cake. No more problems.

Over all, the arrival itself is not a huge deal. It is really pretty easy if everyone is doing what they are supposed to be doing. But there are times with a lot of traffic where the plan goes to pot and one has to basically start over. That is the only hard part about the whole deal.

Once we got on the ground, we had pretty much a 2 mile taxi to get to where we were to park. Problem is, a 195 will heat up pretty fast on the ground. I got to the point where I was uncomfortable with the temp and had to pull over and shut down. The guide people were in tune with those types of problems and were very helpful. After about 20 minutes. I was able to start up and finish the taxi. Turns out I was within a couple of hundred yards of where I was supposed to be.

The rest of that day was spent setting up camp and just enjoying the company of fellow 195ers. It was pretty hot.

Monday was spent doing all the things one is supposed to do at Oshkosh. I walked through all the displays, and the buildings. Saw a bunch of stuff I would like to have but can't afford. You know, the usual stuff. After the airshow, I met up with Steve See and his wife and younger daughter for dinner. At dinner, the skies just opened up and dumped on us. Long story short, when we got back to camp, the front of our tent had collapsed and there was several inches of water in the tent. We collected what was dry, which wasn't much, and were going to settle into the airplane for the night. Problem was it was raining almost as hard inside the airplane as out. We ended up spending the night in the Vintage Aircraft Red Barn headquarters with 2 other couples. Over all not a disaster of a night.

Tuesday morning was spent collecting our wet stuff and heading out to the laundromat to dry things out. By noon, we were dry again. We had planned on leaving on Tuesday, but the weather was such that I did not want to fight marginal conditions to get home, so we stayed another day. Ahh Shuck. :yes: Anyway, after spending another day doing what one is supposed to do at Oshkosh, we met up with Tom and Diana Richards, Chip Gibbons, and Ken Ibold and spent the evening just sitting around and enjoying the company.

Wednesday was a beautiful day. We got packed up to go and were ready to pull out at around 11 AM. But wait. Earlier in the day I had tuned in the atis on the airplane radio just to see what I could expect. When I got in the airplane to leave, You guessed it, my battery was stone cold dead. Dummy me left the master on. Well I got a jump start and away we went. After We got in the air, I realized that the battery was not charging. I went into an energy conservation mode and shut off all but one nav radio. (Guess which one.) A few minutes later, I realized that the generator was working because I had electricity to run the radios etcetera. It was just not charging the battery. Don't know why. Any way, we stopped at Dubuque to charge the battery and get lunch. A charged battery solved the problem and we were back to normal. An uneventful flight followed to Hiawatha KS which is the airplane's home.

After I got on the ground in Oshkosh, I swore I would never do that again. I have to tell you that I was more nervous in an airplane than I have ever been, with all the airplanes in one spot. It was worse than anyone who had done it before had seen it. But after awhile, I decided that it wasn't too bad and I will probably do it again. Next time I hope I can stay for most if not all of the week.

Now, if anyone can tell me where I can post about 100 pictuers. . .

:dunno: :dunno:

Last edited:
Nice writeup, Greg. I'd love to make that trip in a nice vintage plane like that.

A side note,,, in the old Cessnas after a jump start the battery master must be closed by hand, because the master solinoid is connected to the battery, and its dead.

master won't close, battery won't charge. every thing else works great.

NC19143 said:
A side note,,, in the old Cessnas after a jump start the battery master must be closed by hand, because the master solinoid is connected to the battery, and its dead.

master won't close, battery won't charge. every thing else works great.

How do you do that, Tom?

It's a big contactor relay, you just reach in and manually press the relay contacts together, the current from the alternator begins to flow into the battery, which then energizes the relay coil, which then holds the contacts in and...

...you're done.

Hey Greg,

I was about 15 miles east of Dubuque when you were talking to the controller. I heard her ask if this was Greg Bockelman. Do you know all the women at airports around there? I gave you a quick shout on the frequency but you must have missed it - I wasn't talking to the tower.

It took me 55 minutes from engine start to take off at OSH. Looooong line. I was hoping my battery was up at the start because it's behind the baggage area and I was almost full of stuff :)

I enjoyed visiting with you guys at OSH. Glad you got out OK.

Chip

gibbons said:
Hey Greg,

I was about 15 miles east of Dubuque when you were talking to the controller. I heard her ask if this was Greg Bockelman. Do you know all the women at airports around there?

LOL. No, not really. I used to live in Dubuque. That controller is new in the last year. We moved from Dubuque a year ago.

I gave you a quick shout on the frequency but you must have missed it - I wasn't talking to the tower.

Well, I wasn't receiving too well at that point.

It took me 55 minutes from engine start to take off at OSH. Looooong line. I was hoping my battery was up at the start because it's behind the baggage area and I was almost full of stuff :)

Took me about 10 minutes at about 11 AM.

I enjoyed visiting with you guys at OSH. Glad you got out OK.

Chip

Me too, Chip. I am expanding my circle of friends in this racket. Enjoying every minute of it.

BTW, you have any ideas where I can post pics I took as Oshkosh?

Hey Greg, it was great visiting with you and Sharon. I think my favorite memories of OSH involve spending time with friends. :)

We departed at 7:00 a.m. right before the incoming arrived from Fisk, and only had to wait a few minutes on the ramp.

I have a bunch of pictures too. Maybe we could start a thread for OSH pictures. :)

Greg, were you parked over in the rows with the "Interstate 195" signs? I wandered through Friday morning after you apparently left the show.

Ed Guthrie said:
Greg, were you parked over in the rows with the "Interstate 195" signs? I wandered through Friday morning after you apparently left the show.

Yeah, that is where I was. We left Wednesday. My wife had a meeting in Lindsborg KS on Thursday.

SCCutler said:
It's a big contactor relay, you just reach in and manually press the relay contacts together, the current from the alternator begins to flow into the battery, which then energizes the relay coil, which then holds the contacts in and...

...you're done.

You are correct if he has the old style contactor, but if he has been upgraded to the new style, you must jumper it from the buss side to close the relay.

use a opened paper clip. but hold it with plyers, cause it gets hot and will leave white grooves in your fingers - BTDT hurts.

NC19143 said:
You are correct if he has the old style contactor, but if he has been upgraded to the new style, you must jumper it from the buss side to close the relay.

use a opened paper clip. but hold it with plyers, cause it gets hot and will leave white grooves in your fingers - BTDT hurts.

Thanks for the info, Tom. Charging the battery soved that problem, but I will remember it next time I have to do a jump start.

gibbons said:
ALMOST?!?!? I have photographic evidence to the contrary, my friend.

Ken Ibold said:
ALMOST?!?!? I have photographic evidence to the contrary, my friend.
LOL! We shouldn't have let you near our campsite with that camera! :eek:

Ken, thanks again for all the rides. And, yes, we still would have invited you to eat with us if you wouldn't have had a car. ;)

I started writing about my OSH experiences and it turned into a novel with pictures. Too bad I couldn't capture the bolt of lightening that was only a few yards away. How do you condense everything and not leave out the flavor and the feel of that time?

It was wonderful! And sad. And hot. And cold. And wet. And fun! To me, it was all about the people, with aviation coming in a close second.

:)

Back