My Trip to 6Y9

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I was set to be one of the late arrivals. Most of the people seemed to be heading up on Friday but I had to work and could not get out until such a time as I would be landing close to dark. Not wanting to land at an unlit field that I had only been to once before nor having to set up camp in the dark I opted for a Saturday flight.

The only thing that was really bothering me was my back. I twisted it a bit on Thursday moving some scuba gear around when I was teaching class and it was really bothering me. It hurt to try and stand up straight. Once standing I was fine, it was just getting erect that was the problem, I guess I had an erectile dysfunction :)D). I took some ibuprofin and hoped for the best but Saturday morning it was not much better. When I arrived at the airport to load up everything I decided that sleeping on the ground was not going to help and I did not want to be in such bad pain that I could not fly home. So I left the camping gear and decided to make it just a day trip.

So off we went. The sky was clear and expected to be that way all weekend. Temps in the high 70's/low 80's light winds. Perfect flying WX. Picture 001 shows how pretty it was. This is a shot of a lake just to the west of Milwaukee. Good vis and smooth air was what we expected for most of the flight. That held true until about 40NM south of 6Y9. Then some puffy cumulus showed up and so did the bumps. But it was not too bad at all. Up where this bumping started I was well north of Green Bay and civilization had pretty much ended. This was the real back woods area. Lots of pine trees, little towns. Up here the trees are already starting to turn to their fall colors as seen in picture 006.

The approach and landing into 6Y9 were uneventful. Ed and his dad have improved the strip here making it even easier to get in and out. It is well marked and well maintained. This year I managed to land on the first try, no ultra-lites were cutting me off or anything else. As I suspected most everyone was already there. Jesse and Tristan were going to be later due to circumstances beyond their control. I took may parking position next to Barb's Colt and was greeted by Hayden (picture 007).

Soon the whole gang managed to gather under Tony's Citabria wing and start the hunt for a keyboard. But none was available so we were forced to talk using our voices, how quaint. Picture 008 is some of us in action.
From L-R is Chris, Pete, Tony, Rachel, Leah, Barb, and Kent.

I hung around until about 7pm and then heading up to Ontogogan (SP?) airport for fuel and then home. Headwinds were a little strong that night and I was only making 85-90knots of GS so I did not land until a little after 10pm. I heard the guys having fun flying in the evening as I flew home. It was a good day on conversation, flying, eating, and relaxing.

Picture 010 is Chris Jones treating us to a high speed fly-by in his RV.

Picture 014 is a meeting of the mile high club president (NICE T-Shirt) :D:D
Glad you got it back Tony!

Picture 015 is Jesse and Tristan's arrival from Minnesota (there is a good story there)

Picture 016 is Bob, the disabled fly

The Fred Family outdid themselves again this year. 6Y9 is a really fun place. The people are great and genuinely interested in the planes. I gave a couple of tours of my plane, Grant I think walked a family down flight line row and told them about each airplane. I did not get a picture of the 'Lady in Red' who was looking for her 'first flight' again. She was good for a few laughs. At least this year she seemed less drunk than last year.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 55
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 46
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 65
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 86
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 71
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 79
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 69
  • Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
Is that enough words for you Jesse? ;)

Aw, you just blew the average! :D :D

Nice story, and nice pictures. I can't wait to hear what happened to Jesse and Tristan.

Ummm....yeah, words.

I'm jeleous! I'm pretty new to this board didn't know about this trip, but since I'm in the neighborhood (209.5mn from KUES) I think I'm going to have to make 6Y9 a destination this coming year to build my 50 XC hours for my IR. What a great airport website too.

I'm jeleous! I'm pretty new to this board didn't know about this trip, but since I'm in the neighborhood (209.5mn from KUES) I think I'm going to have to make 6Y9 a destination this coming year to build my 50 XC hours for my IR. What a great airport website too.

It is a really nice place to visit. Do come up. Beautiful country and the change in scenery once one gets north of Green Bay is quite dramatic. Coming up at the end of October is the Midwest fly-in in Ames IA. Put it on your calendar. Some will be spending the night. I will go but must be back in the evening as I have tickets for a Cajun music concert in Chicago that evening.

Diana - Leah says that you need to have words with each other :)

nice shots scott. ive got to write up a trip report today or tomorrow. Leah and I are home after a long day in the Citabria. Had a ton of fun.

...am I the only one who sees Tristan shooting the bird? :dunno: :D

Nddons, you need to know the whole story on 6Y9- it was closed up (IIRC, by the state?), budget shortfalls.

The Fredericks, Ed and his dad Brad, actually bought the place and have reopened it.. True American heroes, I think.

...am I the only one who sees Tristan shooting the bird? :dunno: :D

Nddons, you need to know the whole story on 6Y9- it was closed up (IIRC, by the state?), budget shortfalls.

The Fredericks, Ed and his dad Brad, actually bought the place and have reopened it.. True American heroes, I think.
And don't forget his mom (or sister, if you judge by appearances,) Dizz! If it weren't for her, I doubt anything would get done!

I had no idea. The Fredericks must be very humble people, as the website says very little of this. American heros indeed!!

I had no idea. The Fredericks must be very humble people, as the website says very little of this. American heros indeed!!

Yes, indeed. The Fredricks' have done an excellent job of returning a great airport to service. Along the way, they have gotten the town and surrounding area excited about the airport and the opportunities it can provide. It's one thing to mow the grass to make the runway usable, but they have gone far beyond that - they have created an airport community!

Back