My Tracks

imstriker

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
imstriker
Hello all... I'm a long-time lurker here, just thought I'd share. I have about 15 hours now working towards my ticket. I love playing with tech too and have been playing with a couple apps on my Android devices. The other day while stuck in the pattern doing weather I tried out My Tracks. I have to say I am very impressed with it. Great recording on my phone and it uploaded right into my Google Docs and Maps. Great little free toy to look at later. There are a couple of spots it is not 100% on, but hey it's free. If you want to check out the track, I made my map public:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207005791741063954404.0004b74f6d3a08320ce16&msa=0

Anyway, just sharing :)

I'm flying twice and maybe even three times tomorrow I was hoping I could track it all. Thank you so much I will try this. Dumb question but will it work if I leave my android in the back seat? My instructor is strict on checkouts and doesn't want toys up front I'm sure. On the "fun" flight it is just me and two passengers, so that one I can have them help, but I want to see my pattern work for sure in tracking form for the 150 checkout.

PS - I haven't read the foreflight threads but I got the $150 / year foreflight "pro" subscription and a used iPad as a gift, perhaps I can track it on there.

Dumb question but will it work if I leave my android in the back seat?
I am paranoid about items shifting and interfering with controls, so I never leave small things outside of the bags or pockets in the back. I used Oregon 400t that I jammed good between windshield and glareshield, screen down. I only wanted it to record the track.

PS - I haven't read the foreflight threads but I got the $150 / year foreflight "pro" subscription and a used iPad as a gift, perhaps I can track it on there.

If you're not planning on getting an instrument rating within the next year I'd see if you can return the subscription and get the standard one instead ($75 vs $150). The only difference with the pro is that you get geo-referenced approach plates which will not be of any use to you as a non-IR pilot.

If you're not planning on getting an instrument rating within the next year I'd see if you can return the subscription and get the standard one instead ($75 vs $150). The only difference with the pro is that you get geo-referenced approach plates which will not be of any use to you as a non-IR pilot.

Okay, two things:

1. It was a gift (not my money) and we heavily debated getting me only the $75 version but he insisted on the $150 version and here is why:

2. I am VERY BAD with runway / taxiway / direction. I flew with a print out and kept turning it around and around. Foreflight shows the plane on the runway / taxiway as a moving blip. This is the only reason we got it, the $75 does not do this.

Okay, two things:
2. I am VERY BAD with runway / taxiway / direction. I flew with a print out and kept turning it around and around. Foreflight shows the plane on the runway / taxiway as a moving blip. This is the only reason we got it, the $75 does not do this.
Don't forget you can always ask TOWER or GROUND for progressive taxi when you're unfamiliar with the field.

Did that out at KTYR (Google link) when I was parked in the shadow of the tower and was told to taxi to Charlie and go to RWY22. I couldn't see any signs where I was with a big "C" on it, so I said I was unfamiliar with the field and can I get directions.

"No problem, go straight from where you are, hang a left after the F-4 Phantom. That's Charlie in front of you, follow that to the runway."

It's a very rare controller that isn't friendly and willing to provide a turn by turn directions.

Don't forget you can always ask TOWER or GROUND for progressive taxi when you're unfamiliar with the field.

Did that out at KTYR (Google link) when I was parked in the shadow of the tower and was told to taxi to Charlie and go to RWY22. I couldn't see any signs where I was with a big "C" on it, so I said I was unfamiliar with the field and can I get directions.

"No problem, go straight from where you are, hang a left after the F-4 Phantom. That's Charlie in front of you, follow that to the runway."

It's a very rare controller that isn't friendly and willing to provide a turn by turn directions.

Um, here we go again, me explaining how dumb I am.

I had an AFD printout (FAA taxiway / runway layout) for my flight to a Class C airport.

I'm 10 - 30 miles out and already getting ATIS / expecting runway number whatever.

I am trying to figure out the downwind. In other words, I am over water and looking at the runways, their numbers and . . . .

Nevermind, that does make me sound dangerous in the air. Scared my passenger too (the one who bought me the $150 version).

I am really really directionally challenged and just wanted the visuals to plan how to enter the pattern etc. That is before I'm talking to ground controllers.

Yes but controllers don't hand hold you in the air and say "see that runway? Runway xx is on the far end away from the ocean and runway xx is if you were to come straight in from the ocean. Runway xx is right pattern and runway xx is left pattern." That sort of thing.

Must be a Cali thing. Tower controllers I've talked here in Texas have no problem proving info once you announce "Unfamiliar with area.. A little help please."

Must be a Cali thing. Tower controllers I've talked here in Texas have no problem proving info once you announce "Unfamiliar with area.. A little help please."

OK maybe I don't want to look dumb. I should KNOW this stuff if I'm a pilot and I should know how to read a darn compass and heading indicator. But for some reason I get them all turned around and in an untowered airport with nobody in the pattern, no big deal, but this was a Class C and I didn't want to cause an incident.

I used MotionX-GPS on my last flight, but hadn't heard of Cloudahoy at the time. Here's a Google Earth track from KFRG-KGBR-KGON-KFRG. Didn't consume much iPhone battery either!

Attachments

• 340464_556082111218_138701010_31166547_1687927392_o.jpg
    340464_556082111218_138701010_31166547_1687927392_o.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 26
I used MotionX-GPS on my last flight, but hadn't heard of Cloudahoy at the time. Here's a Google Earth track from KFRG-KGBR-KGON-KFRG. Didn't consume much iPhone battery either!

Wait, this is too cool. Especially that you could send it as an image so I don't need the plug in. Are you saying I can download onto my iPad an app called "MotionX-GPS"? Is it free?

Sure, you can run it on your iPad or iPhone. I think it's $1.99 in the App Store. The images came from importing the track log created by MotionX into Google Earth on my laptop, then changing the view around a bit and changing the altitude view so the track displays altitude...then a screenshot of Google Earth and you've got an image like that above!

Cloudahoy might also let you download the track log (either a .gpx or a .kmz file) that Google Earth will open.

Wait, this is too cool. Especially that you could send it as an image so I don't need the plug in. Are you saying I can download onto my iPad an app called "MotionX-GPS"? Is it free?

There is a free version of Motion-X. Sorry I forgot to mention that you need a google earth plug-in for my link. I, for one, don't believe you're dumb, just still learning how to take it all in. ;)

There is a free version of Motion-X. Sorry I forgot to mention that you need a google earth plug-in for my link. I, for one, don't believe you're dumb, just still learning how to take it all in. ;)

Thanks, but as a pilot, I'm expected to be a NAVIGATOR not a GET-LOST-IGATOR.

Thanks, but as a pilot, I'm expected to be a NAVIGATOR not a GET-LOST-IGATOR.
<giggle> Kim, that's funny.

My CFI taught me a good trick-- although this is probably old hat to everyone here, but if you draw out the runways to the airport where you're going and then draw in the direction that you'll be flying in, you can plan a left pattern for each entry to each runway. I did it today for my 1st x/c-- I used different colors for each entry (in case the winds changed and I had to enter a different pattern). Not sure if this makes sense, but it was really helpful. I knew the "lay of the land" before I even got there.

Or is this something that everyone already knows? <embarrassed> if it is.

P.S. I posted pics of my x/c on my profile page if anyone wants to see them! I flew up the coast of ME- it was gorgeous!

OMG your coast is nicer than my coast.
Oh no no no Kim. And plus, your coast IS my coast (I'm a Californian, really-- grew up in San Diego).

They're just really different. But your coast is far more colorful.

<giggle> Kim, that's funny.

My CFI taught me a good trick-- although this is probably old hat to everyone here, but if you draw out the runways to the airport where you're going and then draw in the direction that you'll be flying in, you can plan a left pattern for each entry to each runway. I did it today for my 1st x/c-- I used different colors for each entry (in case the winds changed and I had to enter a different pattern). Not sure if this makes sense, but it was really helpful. I knew the "lay of the land" before I even got there.

Or is this something that everyone already knows? <embarrassed> if it is.

No my BF just gave me crap for all my planning. I need to do this just like I did in my training (draw out where I enter the 45 etc). With ATC you don't know what they will have you do but you do know which runway is left or right etc and the ATIS tells you the runway to expect. Things do change however.

No my BF just gave me crap for all my planning. I need to do this just like I did in my training (draw out where I enter the 45 etc). With ATC you don't know what they will have you do but you do know which runway is left or right etc and the ATIS tells you the runway to expect. Things do change however.
Oh true, I flew to a non-towered airport today. And 2 (or was it 3) other planes were entering the pattern at the same time that I was. :yikes:

Oh true, I flew to a non-towered airport today. And 2 (or was it 3) other planes were entering the pattern at the same time that I was. :yikes:

You are too cute. Last weekend at Petaluma I must have let 3-5 planes land while I was holding short and we are untowered. There were even more in the pattern. We get SUPER busy on weekends.

We get SUPER busy on weekends.
That makes me sooooooooooo nervous. I really need more practice in busy untowered airspace.

When I did my solo (did I already tell you this? Sorry if I did), someone radioed in that they were 7 miles out-- 7 miles! And the second they un-keyed the mike, I was on it-- telling them I'm on the downwind! I'm a student doing a solo!! I was acting/feeling as if they were hot on my tail, and they were 7 miles out!!! lol. Just makes me nervous.

That makes me sooooooooooo nervous. I really need more practice in busy untowered airspace.

When I did my solo (did I already tell you this? Sorry if I did), someone radioed in that they were 7 miles out-- 7 miles! And the second they un-keyed the mike, I was on it-- telling them I'm on the downwind! I'm a student doing a solo!! I was acting/feeling as if they were hot on my tail, and they were 7 miles out!!! lol. Just makes me nervous.

On my solo (which I video taped but it was too big for YouTube) I waited for I think 3-5 or more planes before my first takeoff. I just didn't want to share the pattern with anyone or "beat" someone to the runway when they were on base.

On my solo (which I video taped but it was too big for YouTube) I waited for I think 3-5 or more planes before my first takeoff. I just didn't want to share the pattern with anyone or "beat" someone to the runway when they were on base.
I get that! So you don't feel that way anymore? That's something that goes away with time and practice and experience?

Okay,

Don't feel bad . I do the same thing sometimes on solo flights . Nervous to begin with , sweaty palms and now you want me to figure out how to get into the pattern , ( is that my right or your right) AND figure out which way those number really mean :mad2:

Don't feel bad . I do the same thing sometimes on solo flights . Nervous to begin with , sweaty palms and now you want me to figure out how to get into the pattern , ( is that my right or your right) AND figure out which way those number really mean :mad2:
Phew. Ok good, so I'm not the only one!

I get that! So you don't feel that way anymore? That's something that goes away with time and practice and experience?

Well not really.

Here is the "old" me:

OMG there is another plane in the pattern, I will sit here on the ground and wait for him to land, no matter what, because what if my little airplane doesn't take off or I make the runway unusable for him!!!!

Here is the "pilot" me at the hold short line for the active runway at a nontowered airport, upon seeing and hearing other planes in the pattern coming in to land:

1. What type of aircraft is it? Is it faster or slower than me?

2. What leg of the pattern is it on? Downwind = definitely ok, Base = ok only if a very slow plane (and not an ultralight, they fly a tighter pattern), Final = never ok and kinda rude.

3. Can I safely make it onto the runway and into my upwind before the other pilot touches down? Is the other pilot doing a touch and go or is he going to put the plane away? If a touch and go, how soon will he catch up with me if I'm also doing pattern work? In this case sometimes it makes sense to wait since the 152 is slower than most.

Well not really.

Here is the "old" me:

OMG there is another plane in the pattern, I will sit here on the ground and wait for him to land, no matter what, because what if my little airplane doesn't take off or I make the runway unusable for him!!!!

Here is the "pilot" me at the hold short line for the active runway at a nontowered airport, upon seeing and hearing other planes in the pattern coming in to land:

1. What type of aircraft is it? Is it faster or slower than me?

2. What leg of the pattern is it on? Downwind = definitely ok, Base = ok only if a very slow plane (and not an ultralight, they fly a tighter pattern), Final = never ok and kinda rude.

3. Can I safely make it onto the runway and into my upwind before the other pilot touches down? Is the other pilot doing a touch and go or is he going to put the plane away? If a touch and go, how soon will he catch up with me if I'm also doing pattern work? In this case sometimes it makes sense to wait since the 152 is slower than most.
LOL Kim! You're "old you" is me!!! OMG THERE'S SOMEONE ELSE IN THE PATTERN!!!!!! (That's me).

WELCOME. To. POA. IMSTRIKER.... Nice tracks. Glad you posted. Let us know how it's going for you

That just begs for this oldie but goodie...
I've never seen that before, oooweeee! What a day that ATC guy had. Makes me wonder though if it's a couple of "bad" times kind of spliced together? In any case though, it's funny. I love his accent and his attitude, all very funny.

I don't look at it as getting "lost" so much as experiencing new areas. I recall on my long cross country that I had completely made up my mind that I was lost, even though the VOR track showed I was still on course. I ended up finding a water tower that I could read the name of the city on it, only to find out I was right on course.

Water towers nowadays, if there is one, usually say Purina or Seniors 1997

Back