My Student's first solo...

You really must trust him, I always make sure to remove all my expensive toys from an airplane before the student flys it. I'd hate for my electronics to get broken. :)

Congrats.

Great video! And it helps answer a question I had after hearing a recent report about Flying W being burned to the ground. There are apparently (at least) 2 of them; one in CO (that burned) and one in NJ with an airport (that didn't). Sorry for the loss of property in CO, but glad we didn't lose another airport!

Brings back memories. Some of my very first lessons before I moved out west were at N14 and KVAY about 8 years ago. I have yet to solo anyone (kinda hard to do so without any full time students), but I imagine it's a pretty satisfying to do.

Hey one thought... I've seen a number of great videos pulled for music copyright violations by YouTube once the Copyright holder gets around to checking them. The more popular the video, the more likely it hits their radar.

The Lenny Kravitz song is, of course, perfect, but you may want to have Gene throw together another version with something that's not encumbered by an RIAA Copyright...

Or, YouTube does have limited selections of Copyrighted music that the major labels have released to them, but you must find out if this particular song is one of them, and tag the video appropriately.

Which will trigger YouTube to display a link to any viewer which will allow instant purchase of the song title... which seems to be the trade off that some labels have realized is the only way to go, instead of having staff hunting YouTube for Copyright infringement and issuing take-down requests to YouTube.

It's a total PITA, but thought I would warn you before you get an e-mail from YouTube that your (nice!) video has been removed because you don't have a license to include the Copyrighted material.

Lots of folks surprised by that one when it happens, sometimes months after the video is posted.

The labels have automated software that sucks in the soundtrack of videos and compares the audio with their digital library. Even if the video doesn't get wildly popular, the software will find it eventually.

Hey one thought... I've seen a number of great videos pulled for music copyright violations by YouTube once the Copyright holder gets around to checking them. The more popular the video, the more likely it hits their radar.

The Lenny Kravitz song is, of course, perfect, but you may want to have Gene throw together another version with something that's not encumbered by an RIAA Copyright...

Or, YouTube does have limited selections of Copyrighted music that the major labels have released to them, but you must find out if this particular song is one of them, and tag the video appropriately.

Which will trigger YouTube to display a link to any viewer which will allow instant purchase of the song title... which seems to be the trade off that some labels have realized is the only way to go, instead of having staff hunting YouTube for Copyright infringement and issuing take-down requests to YouTube.

It's a total PITA, but thought I would warn you before you get an e-mail from YouTube that your (nice!) video has been removed because you don't have a license to include the Copyrighted material.

Lots of folks surprised by that one when it happens, sometimes months after the video is posted.

The labels have automated software that sucks in the soundtrack of videos and compares the audio with their digital library. Even if the video doesn't get wildly popular, the software will find it eventually.

You are correct. I had a video/slideshow pulled several years ago of a vacation video I put up with a George Benson song, Down Here on the Ground as the background music. On this video I already received an admonishment from YouTube that said my video contains copyrighted material and that my video may now contain advertisements to viewers who watch. Hmmmm. The whole thing is kinda silly.

Gene

That's pretty sad that there are people whose job is to search YouTube for certain songs by certain artists so they can notify the legal department that there's a copyright infringement.

But congrats to your student!

Nice video, I always think it's funny when people use this this song with flying vids lol. Lenny wouldn't get into a little plane for all the money, that's why he has a boat to go to the Bahamas in. Second, that song has nothing to do with flying aircraft, it's about discorperal flight where your 'mind' leaves your body typically through meditation.

[....] it's about discorperal flight where your 'mind' leaves your body typically through meditation.

I read that three times before I realized you didn't say "medication".

Great video!

Nice video! I can't imagine the feeling you had letting your first student go solo. Thanks for sharing and congrats!

Haven't finished the video but wow you put a lot into that. I will finish soon, it is great for what I've seen so far.

Great video and a great way to tell the story. Congrats on the first student solo.

Google scans every video uploaded to YouTube looking for copyrighted material using algorithms. Very little gets by. A TV in the background will trip it. If a video posts it's unlikely to later be found afoul of copyright issues.

Google scans every video uploaded to YouTube looking for copyrighted material using algorithms. Very little gets by. A TV in the background will trip it. If a video posts it's unlikely to later be found afoul of copyright issues.

From what I've heard from sysadmin friends, they stopped doing their own scanning and threw it back on the Copyright owners.

Who have to wait until the version they want is transcoded, and then cram everything through their machines. So it's not nearly as fast anymore.

If Google is still doing it, they're no doubt charging the Copyright owners for it, and playing both sides of the fence... Which is the smart play. "Not our problem. But we've got some nice fast servers hooked to the storage farm via fiber and we'll happily run your scans here in the co-lo for a fee."

A buddy of mine was videoing himself playing Rock Band (don’t ask, some people think that is cool) and uploading them to YouTube. It took several hours for the videos to appear on the site, and they each seemed to have different copyright rules. Some you could view on any device, others you could not play on mobile devices and others were rejected outright. It seems like the Owners set the rules, and Google abides by them.

Whoever is doing the scanning seems to do it right away these days. Not to say they won’t take it down if the scanner missed it (highly unlikely), but I’d imagine that there are some pretty powerful servers looking at these files. And yes, Google must be making a killing with this service.

Any possibility that the FAA is going to consider that the student is NOT solo if he is being monitored by an interactive/remoted camera?
Bad enough that he has interaction by radio, but video too?

Any possibility that the FAA is going to consider that the student is NOT solo if he is being monitored by an interactive/remoted camera?
Bad enough that he has interaction by radio, but video too?

Well, no, it's called Supervised Solo. Besides, the video likely isn't real time.

That was cool. :) I wish I had a camera/video of my flight training.

Back