My Sport Pilot experiance

aanderson81

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
aanderson81
I figured I would break down and document my experience so far. I was never big into blogging, so bear with me on this attempt.

A bit of background. I started my training about a month ago. I am training in Northampton, MA using their Gobosh 700s. I have been going about 2-3 times a week (scheduling 3, really getting in 2 most weeks due to weather and other reasons) and just broke my 10 hour mark. I don't have my log book on me right now, so ill probably update the details later.

Things have been going quite well. My instructor seems to be impressed with how quickly I've taken to control of the airplane. I am actually finding the in the air control to be much easier than I expected and picked up most of the maneuvers up fairly quickly. We are currently working on take off and landings.

This is the part where for the first time things are actually seeming difficult and slightly frustrating. Take offs are fairly straight forward. Landings on the other hand just dont seem to want to happen. I think my biggest issue is I really do not want to get down to the ground on approach and am consistently high. I know the landings will come in their own time, but boy they are turning out to be more than I expected. I am noticing improvements each time as well.

On the plus side it sounds like once the instructor is comfortable that I finally have the knack of landing he is ready to solo me. So at least there is a carrot dangling in the distance.

As for other comments. I have to say, the gobosh has been a more comfortable and fun trainer than I expected. I initially expected to do my training in the CTLS, but was recommended that I try the gobosh first as they find that new students tend to master it a bit quicker. After i get my ticket i plan on spending some time in the CTLS and likely will bounce back and forth between the 2, but overall I've enjoyed the time in the gobosh.

My next lesson is this evening and I am sure that I will try to provide feedback and comments about how things are progressing after my lessons.

I have never flown a sport plane, but I rent from northampton on occasion when I am in town. Nice school and good folks. Who is your CFI?

Mike Kuehlmuss. He's been a great instructor so far. I'd highly recommend him from my experiences so far. Very patient and (at least for me) a good balance between that nagging voice in your ear so that things stick and knowing when to be quiet and see what happens. He seems to really be doing it because he enjoys it and not because he is has to before he moves on to something else.

As for the sport plane, when i first started I thought I wasn't going to be satisfied, but in all honesty I am glad that I am going sport first. It seems to be going quick enough where I am not feeling like I am stuck and I'll be able to enjoy the sport ticket for a bit before moving onto PP or beyond.

I would love to see the sport pilot rules to be expanded to cover a bit more aircraft wise, but in all honesty between the CTLS and the Gobosh they fit my needs right now.

I learned in and fly a Flight Design CTSW. It took me roughly 1000 landings before I felt consistently competent with all four types of landings required for the checkride (normal, soft-field, short-field, no-flaps). I was somewhat older than you and my airplane might be a bit harder to land, but just the same, it's probably too early to start beating yourself up over it.

I learned in and fly a Flight Design CTSW. It took me roughly 1000 landings before I felt consistently competent with all four types of landings required for the checkride (normal, soft-field, short-field, no-flaps). I was somewhat older than you and my airplane might be a bit harder to land, but just the same, it's probably too early to start beating yourself up over it.

Thanks, I am not at the beat myself up point. Just at the "This really looks much easier from the ground" and "Wow, everyone else makes it look effortless" point.

This is excellent advice. Press on!

The CTSW is much harder to master in landings than some LSA. I did my SP checkride in a Tecnam P-92, and probably had 80 landings in it and it was easy. I have probably 200+ landings in my CTSW and I'm still not where I want to be with it.

I fly out of 7B2. I know Mike, and I know most of the planes, although I fly the CTLS. You have a great instructor, and I can assure you you've come to the right place. Be patient. You'll succeed. Keep us posted!

Be careful whom you listen to. There are at least two schools of thought on LSA. One is based on people who came up from ultralights and they swear the way to land is to drive them on with 15° flaps at a rather high speed. Another is the group who believes in using full or nearly full flaps and landing slower. The arguments are endless.

Some pilots who never flew a Cub or Aeronca but learned in and fly something heavier have some difficulty in adjusting to the LSA. They tend to flare high and drop it in, which won't work. These pilots generated a feeling that the LSA can't be landed slowly, which, of course, is incorrect.

Nevertheless, there are raging arguments about this.

Be careful whom you listen to. There are at least two schools of thought on LSA. One is based on people who came up from ultralights and they swear the way to land is to drive them on with 15° flaps at a rather high speed. Another is the group who believes in using full or nearly full flaps and landing slower. The arguments are endless.

Some pilots who never flew a Cub or Aeronca but learned in and fly something heavier have some difficulty in adjusting to the LSA. They tend to flare high and drop it in, which won't work. These pilots generated a feeling that the LSA can't be landed slowly, which, of course, is incorrect.

Nevertheless, there are raging arguments about this.

In the LSA I fly, I apply full flaps once the runway is made, but fly a normal approach speed right until I'm crossing the numbers. With the application of flaps and a bit of back pressure the plane slows quickly at this point because of the increased drag and then settles nicely onto the runway. I've noticed that having the extra energy actually helps to smooth out the flare. No matter how hard I try, I can not replicate such beautiful landings in any other airplane I fly (I'm flying a Sling LSA).

Good to see you made it up there. Mike is a great guy. About the landings, they will suddenly just click. Looks like your on the fast track flying 2 or 3 times a week. My check ride is next week and I've been trying to get to this point since 2011. Hope to meet you up there soon.

Pat

You will probably get the landings down after a short time,as you have no established techniques from heavier larger wing aircraft. Have flown several of the light sports ,and enjoy them.

Mike Kuehlmuss. He's been a great instructor so far. I'd highly recommend him from my experiences so far. Very patient and (at least for me) a good balance between that nagging voice in your ear so that things stick and knowing when to be quiet and see what happens. He seems to really be doing it because he enjoys it and not because he is has to before he moves on to something else.

Mike Kuehlmuss!? I recognize that name (even though I've never met him.)

Is that the same fellow who is in this video:

Mike Kuehlmuss!? I recognize that name (even though I've never met him.)

Is that the same fellow who is in this video:

Didn't have speakers / headphones so I didn't watch the whole video, but yes, that would appear to be him.

That's him, Mike lives and breathes aviation. His hanger is full of toys including balloons. There's a couple of videos floating around of him inflating a balloon between the hangers at Northampton.

Most of my primary instruction the last couple of years has been split between C150s, Cherokee 140s and Jabiru 170SP. Of the three, the Jabiru is by far the harder one to master landings. Students consistently solo much later in it, but tend to have better mastery of the rudder when all is said and done. Interestingly, though soloing later, total time at checkride isn't much different.

Very patient and (at least for me) a good balance between that nagging voice in your ear so that things stick and knowing when to be quiet and see what happens.

My instructor was very similar and it worked for me as well. I've had my ticket over two years now and I still hear his voice ("hold it off") when touching down. It's basically a reminder to fly it all the way down.

Glad to hear you found an instructor you like. You spend a lot of time with them during the early phases. Really important you hit off.

Good luck!

10 hours and your instructor hasn't shown you the Autoland switch yet?

I had to look at my log book to see when was the last time I flew anything other than an LSA.
That says it for me.

I initially got my sport pilot ticket in the Gobosh 700 (Aero AT-4). I learned in Denver CO. I subsequently liked the Gobosh so much that I bought one. I have almost 400 hours now in the past three years, mostly in the Gobosh. It is a great training aircraft.

Mike is also a great guy. I have flown with him and he is a very patient and great guy. His eclectic collection of aircraft is cool also.

I recently upgraded from SP to PP, doing the check ride in my Gobosh. I will say when it comes to landing, the Gobosh can be challenging. I was initially taught in most cases to land with 15 flaps. I use a mix of approaches depending on where I am going into. I do find myself using full flaps more often these days. I find it funny talking to my non-lsa aircraft flying who think that LSA's are easier to fly. I will say that I flew the Piper Pacer in Alaska and it was much easier to land that the Gobosh. That is a tailwheel :)

The good news is that you are taking lessons on a more frequent basis. This will make your progress much quicker.

Please tell Mike I said hello. I am trying to get out to Northampton at the end of July in my Gobosh, flying out from Oshkosh but it is all weather dependent. I grew up in Easthampton and haven't flown in MA since getting my certificates.

Carl

So i got a lesson in yesterday, had to go up at 7am because of 4th of july plans yesterday. Practiced take offs and landings again. Thanks to the storms that passed through the area the weather wasnt quite the glass that I was expecting. The wind was 7 gusting 15 straight down 32. It was an interesting time. I ended up only getting an hour in, but I think it will make me appreciate landing this evening when I have my lesson.

Also I was given my Presolo exam as well. Guess that means that I am making progress. :)

10 hours and your instructor hasn't shown you the Autoland switch yet?

Well I have found the secret is that with this plane, if you slow below 40 knots on approach or so there is a strange sound that comes from the right seat and then the plane autocorrects and lands itself. Kind of like lane assist in todays newer cars when you are drifting out of your lane on the highway.

Ok, the past few lessons have been scrubbed more or less (0.3 hours total between them) due to wind. One was an early morning, and the other was yesterday at 6pm. So much for those being the sweet spots for flying :p

I did get to do a cross wind take off and landing (about 10-15 knots close to direct cross wind). It made for an interesting experience and I am sure I picked something up from it, but I would really like a clear day or two at this point. Oh well, there is always tomorrow or this weekend (fingers crossed).

Also got the presolo exam crossed off my list.

Last edited:
Well I have found the secret is that with this plane, if you slow below 40 knots on approach or so there is a strange sound that comes from the right seat and then the plane autocorrects and lands itself. Kind of like lane assist in todays newer cars when you are drifting out of your lane on the highway.

Your Autoland is freaking out.

Your Autoland is freaking out.

Should I have it checked out? Is this something that I can check out myself, or do i need an A&P? I mean if its as simple as topping off the fluids I think i should be able to handle it myself.

Ok, so had a near perfect evening last night. got a good solid hour in with 8 or so take offs and landings. Things are starting to get dialed in. I am now coming in a bit flat and dragging it in, so i need to just find a happy median between this and being repelled by the ground.

But overall things are starting to feel better in my mind. I am doing much better at recognizing things before they become issues and am actually starting to get trimmed correctly so I am not gaining or losing speed when my focus changes on everything going on around me. I think this was probably the most important thing so far for me was getting this trimming down correctly.

Good news. The Gobosh can take some getting used to landing. When I first learned in it I too dragged it in too much. I tend to keep it higher these days. Of course 7B2 is a bit smaller than my home runway here in Colorado. I had fun the other day when the winds were swirling. Shot one approach to the seemingly best aligned runway for the winds and ended up going around. I landed my Gobosh on the "crosswind runway". I would say it is generous calling it a runway. It is about 30 feet wide and the first 1000 feet is paved, the second 1000 feet or so is dirt. It was fun. Ask Mike about landing the Gobosh and Greg's straight AT-4 on the grass strip at Sun N Fun.

In any case keep it up.

Carl

I started training in a Zodiak low wing. Then another student porpoised the plane and rearranged the prop and wings. While it was being repaired I moved to a Samba, also a low wing and much harder to land than the Zodiak due to its glider like design.

Then i took delivery of my own new CTLSi and over time perfected the landing technique in it at all flaps, all speeds, and in calm and xwind.

The CT is unique in one important way, the nose is snubbed and that throws people off. This is true even for experienced pilots who learned in Cessnas, Pipers, and the other types of LSAs out there. The carbon fiber low drag aspect, the nose up pause when you change flap setting, and the snubbed nose sight picture are a big reason the factory requires 3 hrs checkout time when a new owner takes delivery regardless of their flight experience.

The plane can be landed at 0, 15 and 30 degree flaps and at 50 or 42 kts dependent on how you want to touch down. The hard part is putting the center line between your legs and looking beyond the nose down the runway and flaring properly with the nose up just before touchdown.

To get good at that, ya have to do at least 200 landings. Then it will start to happen andyou will wonder why you ever took so long to 'get it'.

Remember, the emphasis is not on flaps or speed, though those are important, its about flaring, flying level, sinking (patients), and pulling back steadily on the stick with the center line between your legs and making sure the nose is raised at touchdown. Then keep the stick back a bit to keep pressure off the nose gear till you slow to taxi speeds.

Last edited:
Should I have it checked out? Is this something that I can check out myself, or do i need an A&P? I mean if its as simple as topping off the fluids I think i should be able to handle it myself.

Open the right door and push it out of the plane.

As of the 23rd your probably going to get a new autoland.

As of the 23rd your probably going to get a new autoland.

Yeah, we are on track for my solo before then and i'll be transitioned to someone new for the cross country.

The solo will happen when it happens. There's no scheduling it or "being on track" The day I was supposed to solo it went from dead calm to blowing 15 gusting to 25. in a matter of 10 min. Ended up soloing a week later.

Had another lesson tonight after missing my last 2 due to weather. Things went quite well. Did 10 take offs and landings. They are really starting to come together. I just need to work on dragging them out a bit longer. I am making just about every landing a short field landing.

After about 7 or 8 we did a simulated engine failure on climb out returning directly back to the runway. Back on the ground we did some refresher of the pre-solo requirements.

I have another lesson scheduled for saturday.

A bit more of an update. Things have been a bit hectic with work and home so I've been slacking on updating, but I have been getting my lessons in.

I got my solo sign off over the weekend at 16.7 hours :)

Things are finally really feeling like they are starting to get dialed in and I am actually feeling like I am anticipating what the plane is doing and not just reacting to things. Unfortunately today there was too much of a crosswind for me to actually go up solo, so we used that for some more crosswind practice.

This was where I kind of for the first time I really had the realization that things are really coming around. During the climb out after take off I realised that I actually was crabbed into the wind and following the center line below quite well without having to actively think about it. Those things that previously required active thought are now becoming instinct and are actually starting to look like I know what I am doing. It seems silly that something so simple was my moment of realization.

Now I am looking forward to cleaning up my landings in a similar fashion. I know it will come in due time

Last edited:
Took a few weeks off for moving and vacation.

I have had a few more lessons, but been unable to solo yet due to weather / airplane being out of service. I am feeling like by time I am going to solo I wont remember how to take off and land if I am not being tossed around.

But it looks like tomorrow might actually be the day. The weather is looking like it should be great and I am looking forward to it.

Congratulations on reaching this milestone. Your training will kick in when the time comes. Had someone solo yesterday at my home airport while I was doing touch-n-goes.

The key to consistently decent landings is maintaining a stabilized approach. Hang in there. It will come.

Last edited:
Its been a while since I have updated. The fall weather and the getting dark early has made it a bit difficult to keep the pace I had going. So things have slowed down a bit.

But with that said I did my solo cross country right around 30 hours in last week. It was from 7B2 to KEEN to KORE back to 7B2. It was quite an experience and a near perfect day for it. Calm day with 15,000 ceilings and more or less unlimited visibility. tie in the cold weather it made for great flying (although there is a fun spot by the top of the instrument panel that has a nice little jet of cold air sneaking by that made for quite a cold left leg). If i recall correctly when I started flying that morning it was approaching -1800' DA. Boy did the gobosh want to fly.

Also I think I have actually "mastered" landings. They are finally past the "I got down and the plane was reusable, so thats nice!" stage into the point where I am getting fairly consistent greasers out of them. I actually kind of wished my instructor was with me for my X-C as I think I had probably near perfect landings for all 3. I think my issue was I have always wanted to use the steam gauges and had been ignoring the speed read out on the glass panel they have and my instructor noticed that I was doing this and pointed out to how "sticky" the steam gauge can be and that the glass can be much more accurate. After that I have tried to make it a point to use the steam as a backup and rely more on the glass instruments. Once I did that I was able to have much more confidence with my speed and was doing a much better job with staying on target speed on approach.

If the weather and availability works out we may be looking at a checkride just before christmas.

As for the sport plane, when i first started I thought I wasn't going to be satisfied, but in all honesty I am glad that I am going sport first. It seems to be going quick enough where I am not feeling like I am stuck and I'll be able to enjoy the sport ticket for a bit before moving onto PP or beyond.

I would love to see the sport pilot rules to be expanded to cover a bit more aircraft wise, but in all honesty between the CTLS and the Gobosh they fit my needs right now.

Since it sounds as if you have aspirations of moving past the Sport stage, make sure you are training with a full CFI, rather than a sport CFI, so that your hours will be good for the next stage of training.

Back