My son's Discovery Flight

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Yesterday my son called TWICE. First to say he was taking a Discovery Flight and again to say he had finished it!

Until now, he has declined to sit in the front seat of my C-172 because he knew I would give the controls to him. Now he has not only got into the front, it was the LEFT SEAT. And he paid for the privilege.

He was full of describing his new adventure where he learned to "turn with the airplane's tail" and to "de-ice" when pulling the power to 1800. Not only that, he got totally distracted as they flew over the ocean and he spotted a group (pod?) of whales!

The school gave him a flyer suggesting it costs $5000 to $6000 to PPL with 50 hours flight time and now he is trying to figure out if he can afford it (he can't) -- and trying to figure out how to tell his wife (he must).

I've encouraged him to write a "weekend report" like the ones Hubby and I do. Hope so.

- Proud Mother

Good for him! And you could be his Be-A-Pilot mentor, too.
Might save him a few hours and some of those $5K
;)

Thanks for the good wishes. I am overly joyful. He just wrote a long e-mail with his adventure which is wonderful.

Does Be-A-Pilot have a mentoring program? I will look into the AOPA mentoring program, however with 3000 miles between us, I can do little more than be supportive.

As far as the $5000+, he has been out of the nest a long time and it would be quite inappropriate for Mom to butt in with a check.

- Aunt Peggy

AuntPeggy said:
Does Be-A-Pilot have a mentoring program? I will look into the AOPA mentoring program, however with 3000 miles between us, I can do little more than be supportive.

Pshaw!

You can help with the theory. You can also talk about problems that he has during lessons and give him "hints". You can also tell him what to expect next and generally keep him excited.

You can do it with just e-mail - the phone is a plus!

AuntPeggy said:
Thanks for the good wishes. I am overly joyful. He just wrote a long e-mail with his adventure which is wonderful.

As far as the $5000+, he has been out of the nest a long time and it would be quite inappropriate for Mom to butt in with a check.

- Aunt Peggy
You can still (and SHOULD!) be his AOPA Project Pilot mentor. Talking by phone as he goes through the process will be great support.

Everybody thinks they're the only ones who can't get things like landings down. You can tell your son different.

AuntPeggy said:

I'd bet that I've been out of the nest for longer than he has and my Mom butting in with a check for flying doesn't bother me in the least bit. This year for my b-day she paid for a couple of cross countries in a T-28.

These forums have been mentoring me as have a few local pilots. Bring him on board with any questions he may have.

Where is he doing his training? Maybe somebody here can take him along on an Angel Flight or something.

Joe

Suggest he sign on an independant CFI and pay as he goes. He can better budget his time and money that way.

Back