My solo post.

jconway2002

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jconway2002
Taken from my blog http://pilotsjourney.blogspot.com/

Well today was the day...today I soloed!

The day started with my preflight inspection. The plane had just come back from its 100 hour maintence and it had a new propeller, new tires, new brakes and rotors...sweet!

The winds were calm today, and there wasnt a lot of traffic in the area...the only thing I had going against me was some overcast off the departing end of the runway. All in all the conditions were good.

I did three takeoffs and landings with my instructor before he asked me how I felt about soloing the plane right now...this time I said I was ready. We pulled over to the trainsient parking, he endoursed my logbook and my student certificate, and told me to make three full stop landings, and then meet him back at the flight school.

Upon taking off, I noticed that the airplane really wanted to climb! I had to keep the airplane from climbing too steep by pressing forward on the controls...I thought about adjusting the trim, but I had it right where I wanted it for my glide speed when landing. I had to make my crosswind turn earlier than normal in order to stay out of the overcast. The visibility on departure and crosswind was pretty bad, and a little nerve wracking...but once I turned downwind it was clear skies. On my first approach I was way too high, I considered a go around, but decided against it since I had plenty of runway. I probably landed just after the first 1/3 of the runway...not how I wanted my first solo landing to go. While taxing off the runway I put my flaps up, and then discovered I never turned the carb heat on. Whoops! I told myself I couldn't make that mistake again!

My second landing was similar to my first, although this time I remembered my carb heat. I tried to make sure I didn't turn base so soon, but somehow I still ended up high, with a short final. There was traffic on my third landing, and I was forced to extend my downwind, this was probably a good thing since I was coming in high and short on my other landings. My approach looked good until I got about 20-30 feet from my runway and realized I needed power if I was going to make it. I added a little power, and had a pretty decent landing...except for one thing...CARB HEAT! I forgot to turn it on again. I was so mad at myself for making the same mistake, and not following the check list. I was so focused on the checklist while on the ground, but once I got in the air, and things were happening I totally forgot about it!

With my final landing complete, I taxied back to the flight school where I was greeted by my instructor and a pair of scissors. He shook my hand, and clipped a good chunk of my shirt off...then, out of nowhere, the school's office guy came out with a bucket of water and dumped it on my head...an old Navy tradition I guess? (former school owner was in the Navy). My CFI and I took a picture in front of the plane, and then we signed, and dated my patch of shirt...both will be hanging on the schools wall along with everyone else they have soloed. What a great moment!

Last edited:
Congratulations! (And I'm glad my flight school didn't do the bucket of water thing... that would be cruel and unusual in Maine in the winter...).

Good job!

Last edited:
So far, I only see one post from you, so I guess that was your solo post!

But seriously, congratulations.

So far, I only see one post from you, so I guess that was your solo post!

But seriously, congratulations.

Ha! Thanks everyone. I am relieved to have the solo behind me. I feel very proud to have accomplished something that I thought was so out of reach just a couple of months ago. This Saturday my CFI wants me to take the plane out solo again around the traffic pattern, so there is no time to breath easy...

Well done to you! You've managed to fly an airplane by yourself and return safely back to the ground. That's not something many people can claim to have done. Enjoy the solo experience because it's pretty much how you'll fly from here on out!

Congrats!! What a feeling huh??!!

Congrats on your solo! I did mine on April 29 and I did the same exact thing you did.. No carb heat!!! I noticed as I was reconfiguring the cockpit and it freaked me out a bit. So your not a lone on that one. Enjoy your solo pattern work solo

Hahaha congrats, OP!

The bucket of water is a Canadian tradition, I've heard. Either way, sounds like you had a fun time!

Good for you. You got the full treatment, to boot!

Congrats on your solo! I did mine on April 29 and I did the same exact thing you did.. No carb heat!!! I noticed as I was reconfiguring the cockpit and it freaked me out a bit. So your not a lone on that one. Enjoy your solo pattern work solo

...at least im not alone! :mad2:

Back