My situation

Out of curiosity, how old are you now? If you can't get an ATP until 23 and that is a limit for you at the present, you don't necessarily need a 1st class right away. You might be good starting off with 2nd or 3rd until you get closer to your commercial cert (if you're not already).

Out of curiosity, how old are you now? If you can't get an ATP until 23 and that is a limit for you at the present, you don't necessarily need a 1st class right away. You might be good starting off with 2nd or 3rd until you get closer to your commercial cert (if you're not already).

As I stated earlier, I am 17. I am going in for examination by an AME in November in order to get my medical certificate. (Making sure that when the time comes I will beable to get my first class certificate) After that is taken care of I will start my training ASAP.

Bad idea. You don't want to be $50,000 into flying debt to discover that you wasted all the money as you can't get a first class.

Bad idea. You don't want to be $50,000 into flying debt to discover that you wasted all the money as you can't get a first class.

Like I said earlier, I am going to be examined by an AME at the end of November. I will at that time make sure that I will beable to get a first class medical certificate when the time comes that I need one, however right now I am settling for the third class just as a student pilot.

Hey Unreg - I'm glad to see that you made it over here and posted. I'm glad that my friends on this board were able to give you some good help and insight. I hope that you'll register for an account here and become a regular contributor - I'm sure we would all love to follow your progress and hear about your aviation accomplishments over the coming years.

At the end of the day, regardless of whether the First Class is issued (with or without a "SODA" or waiver), the question the airline must answer is whether you can perform all the necessary physical tasks of a pilot in the aircraft they fly, including a number of emergency tasks such as getting emergency doors open and helping others off the plane. These go well beyond the standards of a First Class medical, and it is not at all clear from what you've written whether you can do that or not.

Further, the airline must take a very conservative position on this, since as a common carrier, they are held to a standard of "the highest degree of care humanly possible." If in someone else were ever to be injured due to your inability to perform some physical task in an emergency, they would be toast in court. That thought will weigh heavily on their minds in a decision on whether or not to hire you.

And no, the ADA does not help you, since that law says that they have to hire you with a physical disability only if you can perform the "essential functions" of the job with no more than "reasonable" accommodations, and resigning aircraft emergency equipment would not be considererd "reasonable."

So no matter what you hear here, you would need to talk to some folks inside the airline hiring process, and they are not likely to be forthcoming unless they know it's on a "not for attribution" basis. However, there are still a wide range of aviation job possibilities even if you don't get on with a 121 air carrier, so as long as you can get the medical, I'd say press on.

At the end of the day, regardless of whether the First Class is issued (with or without a "SODA" or waiver), the question the airline must answer is whether you can perform all the necessary physical tasks of a pilot in the aircraft they fly, including a number of emergency tasks such as getting emergency doors open and helping others off the plane. These go well beyond the standards of a First Class medical, and it is not at all clear from what you've written whether you can do that or not.

Further, the airline must take a very conservative position on this, since as a common carrier, they are held to a standard of "the highest degree of care humanly possible." If in someone else were ever to be injured due to your inability to perform some physical task in an emergency, they would be toast in court. That thought will weigh heavily on their minds in a decision on whether or not to hire you.

And no, the ADA does not help you, since that law says that they have to hire you with a physical disability only if you can perform the "essential functions" of the job with no more than "reasonable" accommodations, and resigning aircraft emergency equipment would not be considererd "reasonable."

So no matter what you hear here, you would need to talk to some folks inside the airline hiring process, and they are not likely to be forthcoming unless they know it's on a "not for attribution" basis. However, there are still a wide range of aviation job possibilities even if you don't get on with a 121 air carrier, so as long as you can get the medical, I'd say press on.

The last thing I am worried about is the hiring process. The hiring process comes after years of flight school. While I am in school I am suppose to demostrate that I can be a pilot correct? When I recieve recieve my ATP that means I have completed schooling to become a commercial pilot. While it flight school you are not only tested on flying the plane but common emergency procedures. (please, correct me if I am wrong) After getting my first class medical certificate, completing flight school, getting awarded ATP, I will actually look foward to the hiring process. That is the last thing I am worried about. I mean if I have everything I need (certificates, etc.) that you NEED to become a commercial pilot doesn't that mean I can become a commercial pilot? I mean I have done everything just like everyone else.

The last thing I am worried about is the hiring process. The hiring process comes after years of flight school. While I am in school I am suppose to demostrate that I can be a pilot correct? When I recieve recieve my ATP that means I have completed schooling to become a commercial pilot. While it flight school you are not only tested on flying the plane but common emergency procedures. (please, correct me if I am wrong) After getting my first class medical certificate, completing flight school, getting awarded ATP, I will actually look foward to the hiring process. That is the last thing I am worried about. I mean if I have everything I need (certificates, etc.) that you NEED to become a commercial pilot doesn't that mean I can become a commercial pilot? I mean I have done everything just like everyone else.

Getting ratings is one thing. Getting hired is another. Ratings do not equal a job. In fact a good paying job in aviation is a lot harder thing to get then a bunch of ratings.

You can get all your ratings, including ATP, in some pretty "light" aircraft compared to an airliner. Your first day on a big aircraft will be your first day on the job. So, no, you won't be demonstrating this stuff during training.

Getting ratings is one thing. Getting hired is another. Ratings do not equal a job. In fact a good paying job in aviation is a lot harder thing to get then a bunch of ratings.

You can get all your ratings, including ATP, in some pretty "light" aircraft compared to an airliner. Your first day on a big aircraft will be your first day on the job. So, no, you won't be demonstrating this stuff during training.

Yes, but if I have completed all the training that is needed to become a commercial pilot haven't I demostrated that I can work as a commercial pilot, or else why is there more requirments to be a commercial pilot as apposed to a private pilot. Fill me in, please.

An analogy is called-for.

A have very dear friend, one of the smartest and most articulate people I have ever known, and we met in law school. He had an undergraduate degree from Columbia, and throughout law school, as he sought and obtained a Juris Doctorate degree, he showed a keen grasp of the law and the academic discipline required to learn it. He went on to get an advanced law degree, an LLM in taxation, and he has passed the bar examination in five states (that I know of).

He cannot, however, practice law worth a lick- just cannot. He lacks the mindset and resilience necessary to actually do lawyering as a business. He would get clients, file suits and just melt down.

He met - indeed, exceeded - every documented requirement for being a lawyer, but he failed where it counted. He just could not practice law. Would he be hired by a quality law firm? Not a chance. If he were to use his legal training to make a living, it would either be teaching (for which he is also not suited), or as a research drone (for which he would never be well-compensated). Fortunately, life's travel have led him to an entirely different career path, one which suits him, his abilities and attributes.

Likewise, remember this: just because you can fulfill the requirements to be an ailine transport pilot rating-holder, does not mean that every airline will want , or be required, to hire you. You'll have to demonstrate that you have the mindset, the skillset and the attitude required to serve their organizational needs.

Odds are, the perfect situation for you is out there, but you mustn't limit your aspirations or the scope of your search.

Yes, but if I have completed all the training that is needed to become a commercial pilot haven't I demostrated that I can work as a commercial pilot, or else why is there more requirments to be a commercial pilot as apposed to a private pilot. Fill me in, please.

Until you familiarize yourself with the aviation industry it may be hard to understand what we are saying. The thing you must understand is that a commercial certificate in itself is basically worthless. All your ratings are basically worthless when it comes to getting a good job. You need *hours*, *experience*, and a lot of damn luck.

There will be hundreds of applicants for the position you want. All of them are just as qualified as you are on paper. But--you have a physical condition that will likely make the flying public very nervous. Just because you may hold an Airline Transport Pilot rating does not mean that the airline feels you will make a good Airline Transport Pilot.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just speaking the truth. Like Ron said, there are lots of opportunities in aviation. You could do a lot of things and you can fly airplanes. But the airline industry probably isn't in your deck of cards. I think once you better understand aviation you will learn you don't even WANT to work for the airlines.

If you want to fly and you can get a medical. Go for it--you'll find your niche in aviation.

Last edited:
Just as there is a lot to being an aircraft owner/pilot that isn't covered in the PPL program, there's a lot to being an airline pilot that isn't covered in the ATP program. The ATP only covers the aeronautical knowledge and skill the FAA says is the minimum needed to act as PIC in a Part 121 operation, without regard to the specific type of aircraft or operation. Leading the evacuation in the dark, possibly in the water, possibly through fire, of 500 people from an A380 after a crash impact is not the same as demonstrating the ability to perform engine-out ILS's in a Piper Seminole -- the physical demands are significantly greater. But the FAA doesn't test you on those unless you take your ATP ride in an A380.

Thus, mere possession of an ATP is necessary, but not sufficient, to be hired as a pilot by a major air carrier. There are physical, cognitave, and psychological demands which the FAA neither measures nor tests, but the airlines do. They will also want to know, for example, if you can scramble out of the cockpit through a crowd of panicked passengers, remove a heavy emergency exit hatch, and then toss the hatch out the opening. Can you do that? I have no idea, but they won't hire you if they don't think you can.

I don't know really want to say about some of the responses, I guess I should just take them for what they are worth, but I am a little confused because there was one response that said I would have no problem because the poster knew of multiple airline pilots who had fake limbs - So where does that come from? I mean the research I have done I get some people who say maybe, some people who say no problem and some people who say probably not, what should I believe.

Also, I was under the impression that one recieves "ATP" after completing many many hours of training for commercial piloting. As for the emergency procedures I am not to worried about being able to release and hatch and direct people in what to do, and also the American public should fear nothing if they were to see a handicap person flying their plane. He/She is there because they know what they are doing, and have shown it in an acceptable manner.

I am not sure what to believe from the different opinions I have seen, not just here but other places as well.

The "limbless" airline pilots referenced here typically lost their limb AFTER they were already airline pilots. Thus the airline had to retain them as they were still capable of performing their duties. This is good HR, good PR, and a good retention of the significant investment already made.

It's a whole different story when you are HIRING someone. The various anti-discrimination laws state that you can't pass over a more-qualified handicapped candidate in favor of a less qualified non-handicapped candidate.

The section on the application asking "do you have a medical waiver" essentially relegates a person with a waiver to a less-qualified status immediately.

The "limbless" airline pilots referenced here typically lost their limb AFTER they were already airline pilots. Thus the airline had to retain them as they were still capable of performing their duties. This is good HR, good PR, and a good retention of the significant investment already made.

It's a whole different story when you are HIRING someone. The various anti-discrimination laws state that you can't pass over a more-qualified handicapped candidate in favor of a less qualified non-handicapped candidate.

The section on the application asking "do you have a medical waiver" essentially relegates a person with a waiver to a less-qualified status immediately.

Why would I need a medical waiver if I can do the samething just the as good as somebody who does not have a disability? The only difference is I have leg braces, but I am not using anything different. I am stuck here. This may answer the limbless question, however what about the people who have said no problem? Why are they saying I should not have a problem? Please tell me.

Last edited:
What if I was just a "private pilot" for hire. For example flying 10-12 person business jets around. (NYC-CHI) What is the requirment for that? I suppose this could be a better goal? I do not want to be flying food around in a very small jet it's just not for me, it's great for some people but I can't see myself enjoying that.

However, I wouldn't mind flying business jets - I mean as long as I am able to wear this cool uniforms ;). What is the process for this?

Wearing the uniform is important, I mean they are just so cool, lol.

They will also want to know, for example, if you can scramble out of the cockpit through a crowd of panicked passengers, remove a heavy emergency exit hatch, and then toss the hatch out the opening. Can you do that?

Can all of the 5' 3" <110 lb female airline pilot's do all that?

Can all of the 5' 3" <110 lb female airline pilot's do all that?
This is what I was thinking, nevertheless, I would be interested in flying business jets.

Long as those uniforms are still apart of the job, ;).
Someone let me know if that is more realistic for my condition.

Why would I need a medical waiver if I can do the samething just the as good as somebody who does not have a disability? The only difference is I have leg braces, but I am not using anything different. I am stuck here. This may answer the limbless question, however what about the people who have said no problem? Why are they saying I should not have a problem? Please tell me.

Sac-

In every area of life, you will encounter people who exercise discretion in discharging their duties, whatever they may be. On any given day, you may well encounter hiring authorities who regard your disability as not being a problem- and others who believe it will be a problem. They will, each of them, be making a judgment call, and will be forever bound to the consequences of that decision, good or bad. There is no "rubber stamp" for making a discretionary call.

So, the reason you are seeing different responses, is that there are likely - certain - to be different criteria applied in the hiring process, criteria wholly separate from your technical airplane operating skills, and criteria which are properly within the judgment of the hiring employer.

You may find, ultimately, that the result of this process is that you will end up at a place at which you will not just have a job, but will be working with people with whom there is a bond of mutual respect and professional courtesy.

Hi,
I am curious about this now. Would flying business jets (charter) (with 8-10 people) be a more realistic goal given my condition? Do I still need a first class medical or would second class be sufficient enough. What is the process compared to that of a commercial pilot? How does the pay compare.
Also, on a side note - where would one purchase a pilots uniform if they were interested (like charter pilots) who arn't required (correct me if I am wrong) to constantly wear their uniform like a commercial pilot in airport settings.
Thanks

Sac,

Don't get too far ahead of yourself. ;)

By no means is anyone saying you CAN'T get hired. They're just saying that it is more than just getting the ATP certificate. I think its safe to say that nobody goes out, gets their ATP, and then just gets hired. Most private sector grown ATPs (as opposed to those grown in the military) spend years working lower paying, not all that great flying jobs (if a flying job can be considered "not great") before they have enough hours for the airlines to notice them.

Do be willing to keep your options open, but do not ever give up on your aspirations. :D

Sac,

Don't get too far ahead of yourself. ;)

By no means is anyone saying you CAN'T get hired. They're just saying that it is more than just getting the ATP certificate.

Thanks, and I was under the impression that you recieve an ATP certificate after completing many hours. I didn't know you should continue to build up your resume with hours which I am of course, willing and ready to do.

Well I'm only a Private Pilot, but everything I've read says yeah you can start working as a commercial pilot as soon as you have the commercial certificate. There are a lot of options out there for someone starting out. Jump plane pilot, banner tow, glider tow just to name a few.

As soon as you can make flying pay for itself, jump on it. :D

Instructing is the traditional route to building time. And, if you're a good teacher that makes you more valuable. So, knowledge and teaching skills are key.

No disrespect, but I hate that recommendation, Kenny.

Because there are far too many CFIs out there who are *just* building time, can't teach for ()@#$*&, and skip out as soon as they get a "real job".

CFI's should, IMO, do it for love of the teaching, first.

Thanks, and I was under the impression that you recieve an ATP certificate after completing many hours. I didn't know you should continue to build up your resume with hours which I am of course, willing and ready to do.
You receive an ATP after building up enough experience to then study for, train for, apply for and then take the ATP check ride. It's not just granted by virtue of a logbook with more than 1500 hours in it.

Thanks for your time, and everyone else who gave me some informative answers. I am still open to all opinions.

When you get the medical, you may find some assistance in the application of the ADA (Americans w/ Disabilities Act) for hiring. I know guys with prostetic les flyin 121, so there is a chance, but as Bruce advised (and as I advise anyone looking at the airlines without a complete knowledge of the industry regardless of physical condition), have another option in your pocket.

No disrespect, but I hate that recommendation, Kenny.

Because there are far too many CFIs out there who are *just* building time, can't teach for ()@#$*&, and skip out as soon as they get a "real job".

CFI's should, IMO, do it for love of the teaching, first.
Agreed. You have to want to be there to teach. Building time should be a byproduct of teaching students to be safe and proficient pilots. Future employers will consider your pass rate of students. If an instructor puts his/her student first, they will learn as much from the student and themself become a better pilot.

Unreg,

Don't be dismayed if you don't get to fly a shiny jumbo jet. There are a lot more flying jobs out there besides the air carriers. As Bruce mentioned freight dogs is one of them. Other possibilities are pipeline patrol, tour flights, crop dusting, wildlife survey, firefighting, etc.

One thing that may be in your favor as far as the "visible minority" thing goes, do the braces show at all? Out of sight, out of mind.

Hey Sac,

I wrote my other post without realized we went into another page. My advice still stands, but don't necessarily obsess on the Class I just yet. All of the jobs I've listed only require a commercial certificate and Class II medical. Also, and Dr. Bruce can probably give more insight, but the major differences between the classes of medical certificates deal more with heart and vision issues, not whether you have braces on your legs.

Unreg,

Don't be dismayed if you don't get to fly a shiny jumbo jet. There are a lot more flying jobs out there besides the air carriers. As Bruce mentioned freight dogs is one of them. Other possibilities are pipeline patrol, tour flights, crop dusting, wildlife survey, firefighting, etc.

One thing that may be in your favor as far as the "visible minority" thing goes, do the braces show at all? Out of sight, out of mind.

Yes, I guess I didn't think about all of the possibilities. Firefighting, I didn't even realize until now, that would be cool, but arn't those pilots flying the water in actual firefighters too? I would probably never beable to become a firefighter because of my disability.. so does that one go out too? Does anyone know where I can find a link of a few pilot jobs, and what you need to hold in terms of medical, how many hours you need.. etc.
Thanks

In reguards to your question,
If I am wearing jeans the braces are not visable, but like I said I do walk with a limp, but it is not too bad.

That's not exactly so. The law prohibits the employer from discriminating against the handicapped applicant only when the applicant can perform all the necessary tasks of the job with no more than "reasonable accommodation." Whether, and how much, accommodation would be needed for Sac90 to be an airline pilot is way too complicated for any of us here to be able to predict based on what's been posted here.

That said, I still encourage Sac90 to go to an AME with First Class priviliges and find out whether he can get a First Class certificate with his leg condition as is. If so, then there will be many flying job opportunities for him if he can learn and progress through all the stages of training, even if that doesn't include flying for a major air carrier. I've never flown for one, primarily due to lousy uncorrected vision (and now that the airlines have lowered the vision standards, age), but I've had a great career in aviation.

BTW, most regional airline hirees today do not have ATP's because they are either too inexperienced (less than 1500 hours) or too young (under 23). However, all must have Commercial Pilot certificates and most (all?) will have First Class medicals and the ATP written test completed.

Yes, I guess I didn't think about all of the possibilities. Firefighting, I didn't even realize until now, that would be cool, but arn't those pilots flying the water in actual firefighters too? I would probably never beable to become a firefighter because of my disability.. so does that one go out too? Does anyone know where I can find a link of a few pilot jobs, and what you need to hold in terms of medical, how many hours you need.. etc.
Thanks

In reguards to your question,
If I am wearing jeans the braces are not visable, but like I said I do walk with a limp, but it is not too bad.

Firefighting? Nope, you don't have to be a firefighter to be a firefighting pilot. I flew smoke jumpers in Alaska for four seasons. Had a blast. Never fought the first wildfire. Actually, you're young enough that you could probably make a career out of government flying. Lot's of flying in the government (state and federal). DEA, Customs and State Department come to mind in addition to Department of the Interior (firefighting). Mosquito control comes to mind for local governments. It'll take a while to meet their requirements though, and you'll have to be patient until they give you the call, but it's something to consider.

Now, as far as the limp, lot's of people have limps. Don't lie about the braces, but don't advertise it either. Folks will simply think you have a limp (which obviously you do). Shoot, even I have a limp that's been pointed out to me when I'm tired. It's a result of getting hit by a car when I was 15. One leg is a bit shorter than the other now.

Flying definitely sounds like a worthwhile goal for you. Go for it if you want it.:yes:

DEA flying at least requires one to be a street agent for a couple of years first, then applying to the aviation wing after amassing the proper experience and flying credentials. The only exception is for some use of military-only aircraft, where former military pilots rated in those aircraft are hired directly. The physical for becoming an agent is strenuous.

Other federal law enforcement agencies are similar. State/local are generally the same way as they want their pilots to be sworn officers with experience.

There are fed jobs flying with many agencies, but they are definitely NOT entry level jobs.

The reason the instructing path is the traditional entry level job is because there are generally lots of openings. All the other flying jobs have the luxury of insisting on higher levels of qualifications, because there are lots of applicants for few jobs. Regional airlines follow a boom/bust cycle and right now they're in a boom, with some hiring folks with 500 hours and 50 hours of multi. But, they have a 60-80% washout rate in their initial classes with that pool, and for those that survive, they generally make LESS their first year or two than they did instructing.

Hi,
Like I said I am going for examination by an AME at the end of November. I do not think he can award first class medical certificates but I will find out from him if I will beable to get a first class certificate when I need it.
What medical class certificate is required to do most jobs in aviation? Three is private, correct? just how far does that regulate? Would a second class or even third class beable to do firefighting or other jobs? Those types of jobs will be a "fallback" for me if I am not able to fly as a commercial pilot. Would you say that the hiring process would be a bit more "lieneant" for those jobs when comparing it to the commercial industry?
Thanks

For the serious jobs (flying for an airline or charter), you're going to need an ATP certificate and a first-class medical. There's not a lot of difference in the medical STANDARDS (first class is essentially a second class with an EKG added as you get older), but the first class is only good for 6 months.

With a second class medical, which is good for a year, you still can exercise commercial pilot privileges, but even outfits that may be allowed to operate with only commercial pilots (like corporate aviation under part 91) typically require ATP certificates and first class medicals as their internal standard, which helps reduce their insurance costs.

Without a first class medical, you will be somewhat limited in your options of flying for hire.

For the serious jobs (flying for an airline or charter), you're going to need an ATP certificate and a first-class medical. There's not a lot of difference in the medical STANDARDS (first class is essentially a second class with an EKG added as you get older), but the first class is only good for 6 months.

With a second class medical, which is good for a year, you still can exercise commercial pilot privileges, but even outfits that may be allowed to operate with only commercial pilots (like corporate aviation under part 91) typically require ATP certificates and first class medicals as their internal standard, which helps reduce their insurance costs.

Without a first class medical, you will be somewhat limited in your options of flying for hire.

Someone earlier said this shouldn't be a problem, but if the AME is not able to award first class certificates can he still tell me if I am eligible for one?

Hi,
Like I said I am going for examination by an AME at the end of November. I do not think he can award first class medical certificates but I will find out from him if I will beable to get a first class certificate when I need it.
What medical class certificate is required to do most jobs in aviation? Three is private, correct? just how far does that regulate? Would a second class or even third class beable to do firefighting or other jobs? Those types of jobs will be a "fallback" for me if I am not able to fly as a commercial pilot. Would you say that the hiring process would be a bit more "lieneant" for those jobs when comparing it to the commercial industry?
Thanks
I just want to make it clear that all the things you're talking about here are "commercial", and require a commercial pilot certificate and, in (almost) every case, a second class medical*. What you seem to be referring to when you speak of "commercial" is actually being an airline pilot, which (others will correct me if I'm wrong) requires an Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) certificate and a first class medical.

I just want to make sure that we're all in agreement on the terms.

That said, the consensus among the medical folks here seems to be that, based on the medical facts presented, it should be possible for you to get a first class medical, albeit possibly on the basis of a waiver. However, while necessary, this is not sufficient to get a piloting job with the airlines, because of the laws of supply and demand.

For more information about the types of commercial pilot jobs out there (meaning you get paid for flying) and the job outlook, have a look at http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos107.htm.

Pilots are highly trained professionals who either fly airplanes or helicopters to carry out a wide variety of tasks. Most are airline pilots, copilots, and flight engineers who transport passengers and cargo, but 1 out of 5 pilots is a commercial pilot involved in tasks such as dusting crops, spreading seed for reforestation, testing aircraft, flying passengers and cargo to areas not served by regular airlines, directing firefighting efforts, tracking criminals, monitoring traffic, and rescuing and evacuating injured persons.

* The exception, as is being discussed in another thread, is flight instructing, which can be done with a third class medical.

Someone earlier said this shouldn't be a problem, but if the AME is not able to award first class certificates can he still tell me if I am eligible for one?
Depends on the AME- how up to date he is. Most should, but some are amazing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back