My Seeing Eye Dog

Skyhawk4754

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Willie
If you noticed my Avatar it pictures my seeing eye dog (with glasses) "Meg". She is my shadow and wants to go with me everywhere. 1 yr old now and weighs aprox 55 lbs. I do lot of driving during the week and she rides with me alot. I do have a seatbelt harness for her. She really gets mad at me when I leave her home when I go and fly.

My question is...Has anyone taken there pet for a ride in their airplane and how well do they do. Do they get airsick?

I had an aussie like that. Went everywhere with me and pitched a fit if I left her behind. I took her in the airplane a few times, it was just another truck to her. She'd look out for awhile, then relax and go to sleep (in the back seat!). Dogs can get airsick, just like some get carsick. Only way to know with Meg is try and find out I guess!

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Both of my Labs have flown with me several times up to 13,000' and on legs up to 3.5 hours. They do great but leave a lot of hair in the airplane.

A dog acts in a plane about like it acts in a car. If your dog is car-adjusted then take her flying!

-Skip

Don't do a lot of touch and goes unless you want the dog to yack.

My mentor takes his Golden Retriever flying with him all the time. He just hangs out in the back and does very well.

My lab loves to ride in the plane... Just be careful when they sneeze near the open window...

DSC00570.JPG

I took my little Moogie dog flying and she just took a nap. My boy dog howls in the car, but I might take him flying because then at least I won't have to listen to him howling.

Hearing protection should be considered. I know that the mutt muffs look silly (and good luck getting your dog to wear them) but think about those sensitive ears especially on long trips. Without protection they will lose their hearing likely years ahead of schedule.

I haven't tried it with our Labs yet, but I'm sure we will have to try it eventually for long weekend camping trips. They do fine when I put them in the dog box for hunting - lay down and go to sleep after 10 mins. I probably will stay away from taking them in the RV, though. The noise in that thing is atrocious!

I took my dog (Colby) up last month to meet up with a trainer and she did fine. She barked a little on take off but after that she chilled out. one problem I could see is drinking water, I did have bottles of water and I always carry a knife so I was able to poke a hole in the top of the cap and squirt it through the crate.

I know that the mutt muffs look silly (and good luck getting your dog to wear them)

I didn't think she would keep them on but she did and yes she was funny looking.:D

One question I have who is flying the plane if it is you seeing eye dog?:dunno:

Attachments

• DSC_0009a.JPG
    DSC_0009a.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 28
I took my dog (Colby) up last month to meet up with a trainer and she did fine. She barked a little on take off but after that she chilled out. one problem I could see is drinking water, I did have bottles of water and I always carry a knife so I was able to poke a hole in the top of the cap and squirt it through the crate.

I didn't think she would keep them on but she did and yes she was funny looking.:D

I LOVE the third picture -- you (or someone) throwing the dummy and the dog just turning to look at it until you say "Go". My boys were *almost* to that point last fall, but we've had one helluva winter and I haven't been able to work them at all. Gotta stay busy with them this summer to get ready for bird season this fall. :)

Attachments

• Moses_Schnapps.jpeg
    Moses_Schnapps.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
If you noticed my Avatar it pictures my seeing eye dog (with glasses) "Meg". She is my shadow and wants to go with me everywhere. 1 yr old now and weighs aprox 55 lbs. I do lot of driving during the week and she rides with me alot. I do have a seatbelt harness for her. She really gets mad at me when I leave her home when I go and fly.

My question is...Has anyone taken there pet for a ride in their airplane and how well do they do. Do they get airsick?

I had a girlfriend with a beautiful and well behaved golden/yellow mix. We were headed to Laughlin and Don allowed dogs, so we were going to take her. I was worried as to how she would do and if we'd have trouble getting her in. Turned out to be "No Factor". As soon as I cracked the door, she jumped up on the wing, squeezed past me, bounded over the seats, up onto the hatshelf where she would lie happy as could be. She probably ended up riding a couple hundred hours up there. Just say, "Sadie, go fly?" and she was at the door ready to go.

All

Thanks for all the responses..... it's nice to know there are other crazy people just like me out there somewhere.....with they dogs. I never thought about the mutt muffs....good idea, thanks.

Valentine the Wonder Rat Dog is a great flyer- door open, she hops up on the wing, curls up in the back (on her comforter, which we bring with), and goes to sleep after about 10 minutes.

She always wakes up and acts all expectant when we begin our descent.

Bobbi Loes to ride in the truck, hates airplane. The only time I have ever seen her show me her teeth is when I tried to pick her up and put her in the aircraft.

Attachments

• Bob E Dog.jpg
    Bob E Dog.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 2
I used to take mine on x-co's, but now we have 5 golden retrievers and it's too much. But what you do is spread a bed sheet or blanket over ALL the seat area he or she will be occupying. Saves on hair clean-up, which can really be a long chore [and I was using rental planes...] as the stuff will get down in every crack and crevice. Also, if you will be fishing or whatever around water or in some rain and the dog will maybe get back to the plane wet for the return trip, spreading some plastic sheeting underneath the blanket will help. Back home, be prepared to clean the insides of the windows from nose prints.

My dogs all loved it but one, and she was willing but very nervous the entire trip. I speculated that some vibration or noise disturbed her, and she never got over it so I simply quit taking her. She was too miserable [though well-behaved]. The other dogs have acted as if they were in an automobile.

Last edited:
Bobbi Loes to ride in the truck, hates airplane. The only time I have ever seen her show me her teeth is when I tried to pick her up and put her in the aircraft.

Maybe she was just telling you she wanted to bush her teeth before going to visit......:D

thanks for the reply, it sure is fun to read all the replys.....makes my day

Back