My saga towards the CFI Initial

PHXAvi8tor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PHXAvi8tor
Ten long months.

I dream about things like the inverse of the cosine of the bank angle times Pi divided by 180. (That's load factor, simplified).

I have done every single private and commercial maneuver from the right seat at least 20 times. I have performed them to better than commercial standards. And, I have performed them while conducting effective flight instruction simultaneously.

And, I have taught those same maneuvers as a student teacher on the ground another 20 times, or more.

On Tuesday and Wednesday this week, I take my last two flights.

Then, it is on to the Prog Check and the FAA checkride.

Keeping my fingers crossed, and my eyes are already crossed from too much study!

Will let y'all know how it goes.

Ben

Last edited:
ive only read a little of your progress on the red board, but...

you are more than ready. knock these last flights out, and enjoy your checkride

ive only read a little of your progress on the red board, but...

you are more than ready. knock these last flights out, and enjoy your checkride

Hey, thanks, Tony.

Some had asked over here if I'd keep up the log of my "journey towards the CFI Initial."

So, this is my first post and a continuation of the flight log.

Will let you and all know how it goes ... :fcross: :rollercoaster:

Ben,
Go for it! Good luck!

(BTW, isn't that N97UA, AOPA's "Ultimate Arrow" in your avatar? A friend of mine owns her, and I have about 11 hours in her. Nice plane! Ever fly her?)

Ben,
Go for it! Good luck!

(BTW, isn't that N97UA, AOPA's "Ultimate Arrow" in your avatar? A friend of mine owns her, and I have about 11 hours in her. Nice plane! Ever fly her?)

Yes, that is N97UA. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to see her up close.

The Arrow II that I fly doesn't even have a rotating beacon or aviation white position light on the tail! Some dark mornings, Ground Control gives me a hard time about it: "It's hard to see you out there, wish you had a beacon!" So, I flash my landing light and flip the nav lights on and off for the controller. What a way to taxi!

I've probably posted this before for you, but just to be sure...

The most important thing to remember about the CFI ticket is that it’s all about teaching, not flying. You will be judged more on your ability to impart learning to your student than on any demonstration of your own pilot skills. The Aviation Instructor's Handbook book is rather dry, and (considering that it’s supposed to be prepared by professionals who really know about teaching) not all that easy to learn from. However, the important data are there, and you’d best learn not only to parrot them, but to understand what they mean and apply them when you teach (and if you don’t recognize these “levels of learning” you’re not ready yet). You will have to be able to read the student’s mind to find out whether he’s really learned the material or not, and if not, WHY not. Then you must be able to figure out how to get past whatever barrier to understanding exists in that student’s mind. You’ll find that there are as many successful techniques as there are students, but there may only be one of those many that works for any one particular student. Being able to hit on one that will work quickly, before the student becomes discouraged, is the toughest part of flight instructing.

How to work through this? Get with some successful teachers, not necessarily pilots. I’m talking about someone you know who’s an experienced high school teacher, one that the kids remember long after graduation as the highlight of their experience. Talk about teaching and learning with this person. You might also consider some basic education courses at the local college.

Finally, here are a few points I put together to get your mind right for the initial CFI checkride:

1. You are a teacher, not a pilot. How you teach is far more important than how you fly the plane. It doesn't matter if you slightly screw up a maneuver, as long as you identify the screw-up as it happens, talk about why it happened, and then how to do it right.

2. Don't rush into any answers. When asked questions, show the examiner where the answer is written -- you're showing how to teach a student, not demonstrating your own superior knowledge. That means you should know COLD where to find the answers -- if asked about the red/green/white tower light gun signals, it shouldn't take you more than a few seconds to get to the right page in the AIM. And you should know instantly whether an answer to an FAR question is in Part 61 or Part 91 (HINT: If the rule applies no matter who's flying the plane, it's in 91. If not, it's in 61.)

3. Be relaxed and organized. When asked a to teach an item, take a moment to gather your thoughts and draw out any blackboard diagrams or itemized lists for the lesson. You're not on "Jeopardy" -- there's no one gonna beat you to the buzzer and steal your $200 prize.

4. Inventory your stuff before you go to the meet -- the checklist in the PTS is a good tool. Make sure you have all the source materials to teach as well as answer all the questions in the PTS.

5. Typically, during the oral, the examiner will jump on one topic and continue asking questions until you run out of answers. In the Air Force, we called this game "Stump the Dummy." As the questioner knows more than the questionee about the topic he selected (which is why the questioner selected it), the final outcome (the dummy is stumped) is never in doubt. The critical elements are how far the dummy can get before being stumped, and how he handles the situation -- straight knowledge, clear explanations, use of the book when appropriate or necessary, and no BS or tap-dancing when finally stumped.

6. Expect a long, grueling session. You're being given the authority to release others into the sky without anyone else's oversight. They want to make damn sure you can make good decisions in that respect. For that reason, I think the initial CFI is the most significant ride you'll ever take.

Good luck,
Ron Levy
CFI since 1973

I've probably posted this before for you, but just to be sure...

The most important thing to remember about the CFI ticket is that it’s all about teaching, not flying. You will be judged more on your ability to impart learning to your student than on any demonstration of your own pilot skills. The Aviation Instructor's Handbook book is rather dry, and (considering that it’s supposed to be prepared by professionals who really know about teaching) not all that easy to learn from. However, the important data are there, and you’d best learn not only to parrot them, but to understand what they mean and apply them when you teach (and if you don’t recognize these “levels of learning” you’re not ready yet). You will have to be able to read the student’s mind to find out whether he’s really learned the material or not, and if not, WHY not. Then you must be able to figure out how to get past whatever barrier to understanding exists in that student’s mind. You’ll find that there are as many successful techniques as there are students, but there may only be one of those many that works for any one particular student. Being able to hit on one that will work quickly, before the student becomes discouraged, is the toughest part of flight instructing.

How to work through this? Get with some successful teachers, not necessarily pilots. I’m talking about someone you know who’s an experienced high school teacher, one that the kids remember long after graduation as the highlight of their experience. Talk about teaching and learning with this person. You might also consider some basic education courses at the local college.

Finally, here are a few points I put together to get your mind right for the initial CFI checkride:

1. You are a teacher, not a pilot. How you teach is far more important than how you fly the plane. It doesn't matter if you slightly screw up a maneuver, as long as you identify the screw-up as it happens, talk about why it happened, and then how to do it right.

2. Don't rush into any answers. When asked questions, show the examiner where the answer is written -- you're showing how to teach a student, not demonstrating your own superior knowledge. That means you should know COLD where to find the answers -- if asked about the red/green/white tower light gun signals, it shouldn't take you more than a few seconds to get to the right page in the AIM. And you should know instantly whether an answer to an FAR question is in Part 61 or Part 91 (HINT: If the rule applies no matter who's flying the plane, it's in 91. If not, it's in 61.)

3. Be relaxed and organized. When asked a to teach an item, take a moment to gather your thoughts and draw out any blackboard diagrams or itemized lists for the lesson. You're not on "Jeopardy" -- there's no one gonna beat you to the buzzer and steal your $200 prize.

4. Inventory your stuff before you go to the meet -- the checklist in the PTS is a good tool. Make sure you have all the source materials to teach as well as answer all the questions in the PTS.

5. Typically, during the oral, the examiner will jump on one topic and continue asking questions until you run out of answers. In the Air Force, we called this game "Stump the Dummy." As the questioner knows more than the questionee about the topic he selected (which is why the questioner selected it), the final outcome (the dummy is stumped) is never in doubt. The critical elements are how far the dummy can get before being stumped, and how he handles the situation -- straight knowledge, clear explanations, use of the book when appropriate or necessary, and no BS or tap-dancing when finally stumped.

6. Expect a long, grueling session. You're being given the authority to release others into the sky without anyone else's oversight. They want to make damn sure you can make good decisions in that respect. For that reason, I think the initial CFI is the most significant ride you'll ever take.

Good luck,
Ron Levy
CFI since 1973

Ron,

Thanks! I may have read that advice about five months ago, but it is good to be able to see it again.

Tomorrow I go up in the late afternoon to demonstrate effective instructional knowledge in emergency procedures. I've exhausted both the Airplane Flying Handbook and the POH for this topic. I've reviewed all my lesson plans and notes. Yet, it doesn't seem to be enough! I have this empty feeling like I'm forgetting something huge. Yet, at the same time, I feel like I know this stuff inside and out. I wonder if that is normal?

Big day today!

It's my second-to-last flight (assuming I don't mess up today). Then, it's on to the Prog Check, and then the checkride.

Today is nothing but emergency procedures. I have to show effective instructional knowledge.

I took at look at the CFI PTS last night, and it helped me look at all the same stuff in the Airplane Flying Handbook and POH/PIM in a new light. It's the same old stuff:

1. Know all 12 systems failures and how to demonstrate them, teach what they mean and handle them if they occur for real in flight.

2. Know forced landings and how to demonstrate them effectively.

3. Be prepared to discuss survival gear/preparedness as an optional topic, if it comes up in the oral exam portion.

Seems simple enough. But, the systems failures could be endless. There are 12 basic systems, but then the combinations of systems failures can skyrocket. I'm focusing on the 12 basic ones:

1. Low oil pressure
2. Engine roughness
3. Smoke in the cockpit (electrical fire in flight)

etc.

UPDATE!!!

Just back from my late afternoon flight on emergency procedures!

I passed!

I'm still in disbelief.

We put the Arrow through every conceivable emergency situation possible, and the instructor was happy.

So, tomorrow, we go up for my last flight. Then, it's on to the Prog Check and the checkride! Woo-hoo! :happydance:

Last words from my instructor tonight: "I think you're ready for that Prog Check. I'm happy for you. I'll put the paperwork through this week."

Yippee!

Thank God!!
Now go git er done already!!!!!
I just want you to know, we're all counting on you...

Well, I didn't think yesterday could get any better.

But, today, I finished up my very last flight before the Progress Check and the subsequent FAA checkride that immediately follows it.

My instructor asked for, and I submitted to him this evening, my Form 8710-1a. That's the application for checkride. It is the last endorsement I need to take my checkride. I think he's signing it either tomorrow or Friday (it may be following my Prog Check.)

In any case, we're going to try to get the Prog Check done Saturday. If not, then it will be next Friday. Then, assuming no remedial work is required, I'll advance forward to the checkride! :goofy: :fcross:

Last edited:
Cool. The hardest part of the checkride is going to be trying to remember every last detail so you can tell us all how it went! :)

Good luck!

Back