My RV12 Project

Juliet Hotel

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Juliet Hotel
I mentioned this in another thread but I figured it should probably have its own thread too. I bought an RV12 project today. I've got a mostly completed empennage and a fuselage kit that's still in the crate.

It's been a goal to do an RV build for about 20 years. I'd narrowed it down to an RV9 or an RV14, I wasn't even considering an RV12. But this project was local and showed up on Barnstormers for cheap and it made me re-evaluate my goals and mission. We always say you should buy a plane that fits your 90% mission. Well when you do the math a light sport fits my 90% mission.

We're East coast transplants living in rural Michigan. I wanted a plane that could be used to take my wife and I back to the East coast for family visits. But those family visit trips would be once or twice a year at best. So most of my flying would be solo day trips for cheeseburgers in the local area. That's got light sport written all over it.

And as light sport kits go, its hard to do worse than an RV12 so we cut a check and bought it. The pics show it in its new home for now, which is the back corner of the warehouse of the company I work for. It will live there for now while I prep my shop and keep my eyes open for a wing kit.

I'm not an airplane owner, but I do own a pile of parts. And that's closer to being an owner than I think I've ever been.

66185444_10157308844529481_841584221582524416_o.jpg

65935492_10157308844444481_4044179100410052608_o.jpg

The -12 sounds perfect for your mission profile. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! :)

Pffft, you own an RV-12. I hope to join you in that ownership soon. Oh, congratulations!

Very cool! We hope you will let us live vicariously through your build and flights. Reports and pics on this thread please!!!

I always wanted to build an RV-8, from the moment I saw it as OSH the year Vans introduced it. But life sometimes takes turns in directions one doesn't always anticipate. Really nice to hear you've taken that first tangible step towards what I am certain will be a rewarding life experience, building and flying your own plane.

You are gonna’ have a blast . . . building it and flying it.
It’s a great little airplane.
Good luck with your new endeavor. :)

Congrats and good choice! You’ll have a community here and on the Vans forums to help you out along the way, so you’ll have plenty of support. Let us know how it comes along!

I helped build the one week wonder RV-12 at Oshkosh last year. What a great kit. Enjoy the build.

I promise, if you work on it every day, Oshkosh 2020 is doable.

Good luck man...
Anybody that takes on a build and flies their own plane is a hero to me. That's some serious dedication I hear, and can imagine.
Hopefully the family will be on board (in both ways).

Soon you'll be thinking like the RV frog.

Rivet
Rivet
Rivet

:frog: Enjoy!

Back