My Re-Intro Flight Tuesday

Mike Boehler

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mike Boehler
PP with 8 year sabbatical and my first re-intro flight is Tuesday.

I decided to get back in months ago but timing and winter got in the way.

Since I decided to get back in, I've totally over analyzed this to death. I've joined websites, participated in webinars, reading PP Oral Exam Guide, studying PP PTS manuals, listen to workshops on my IPOD.....Totally wired up and prepared for failure after so much build up.

I cleaned up my old stuff, put batteries in my backup handheld, new AA's in my lighted knee board, ordered some new sectionals and a 2011 AIM, took out my E6B and learned about 20 of the 200 functions, put the red lens and new AAA's in my primary and backup flashlights (really gonna need these Tuesday).

IS IT GOING TO BE HUMANLY POSSIBLE TO CLIMB IN THE PLANE AND HAVE FUN FOR AN HOUR?

I think this is just the way we are. We just do things to death and the truism can never match the expectation. This is why planning is so much fun, regardless of whether its a flight, a vacation or a relationship.

I've even penned a list for my instructor of the things I always sucked at even when I was proficient. I'm sure he'll laugh it up with his buddy's about that one.

It's now Friday. I am considering putting all my flight stuff out of sight until after Tuesday.

Yes, I'm 48 years old. Not 18. I know it doesn't sound like it.

IS IT GOING TO BE HUMANLY POSSIBLE TO CLIMB IN THE PLANE AND HAVE FUN FOR AN HOUR?
It is possible to have fun, but you have to take things slow and accept that you aren't going to be anywhere near as proficient as you were when you last flew. As long as you have a patient CFI who understands your situation, you should be able to enjoy getting back in the saddle.

The longest I went without flying since getting my license was 15 months or so when I was doing my Chief Engineer tour on a ship. I had just gotten my ME rating before I stopped and was very proficient. When I went back to do the flight review to start up again - I was amazed at how long it took me to get comfortable on the ground. I just didn't have my flow down and it took forever to do simple things like starting the engine, tuning the radios, doing the runup....etc. By the second flight, though, I was getting back into my groove.

Are you by any chance an engineer too? :crazy:

Sounds like you've got it analysed and diagnosed and organized to a smithereen....... but, now that you do you can say "OK, I've got it figured out in my head so now I can just go fly and enjoy myself!"

It's supposed to be fun :thumbsup: go have fun :cheerswine:

Yeah, what Fearless Tower said- he beat my post.

FWIW - I did not enjoy my first 'Re-intro' flight, but that was entirely because I was beating myself up. I did have a patient CFI, but I was just disappointed in my own performance. It is tough, but try not to do that to yourself!

I did enjoy my second flight!

If you want to have a good time in the air, you will! Don't over analyze it, I think you'll be surprised at what you remember. Have fun!

Ha Ha...No, but I can certainly understand why you ask.

You should have been in my living room for the discussion of which plane to fly...That took a week.

I've got no hope...

You may not work as an engineer, but it sure sounds like you are one...:wink2:

Have fun!
John

You may not work as an engineer, but it sure sounds like you are one...:wink2:

Have fun!
John

The sad part is I have to work with those guys all the time and they drive me absolutely nuts with their decision making nuances.

I know a bunch of guys like me, they own their own businesses and make decisions hourly, but ask where they want to go for dinner and it takes an hour to decide. What's up with that. I've become them.:confused:

Let me know how this works out for you, Mike.

I'm in a similar situation. I got my PPL two years ago, ran out of cash and haven't flown since. I'm due for a BFR and now that I have some funds saved up I'm looking to finish my INST and COM tickets.

I was also in the same position. 7 years away from flying. Decided just prior to my 30th to get back into it. I did the same thing you did, joined every forum I could find, I think I have done every coarse at the ASF website. The first flight was interesting, but you remember right away. A little over a year and an Instrument rating later, I am hooked again. I just wish the wife was as enthusiastic as I am. My son loves it though.

Let me know how this works out for you, Mike.

I'm in a similar situation. I got my PPL two years ago, ran out of cash and haven't flown since. I'm due for a BFR and now that I have some funds saved up I'm looking to finish my INST and COM tickets.

I'll post a quick comment about my shortcomings on Tuesday Night. I've scheduled flight #2 for the next day. Nothing worse than a starting pitcher that has to think about the stinker he threw up there for 5 whole days.

I was also in the same position. 7 years away from flying. Decided just prior to my 30th to get back into it. I did the same thing you did, joined every forum I could find, I think I have done every coarse at the ASF website. The first flight was interesting, but you remember right away. A little over a year and an Instrument rating later, I am hooked again. I just wish the wife was as enthusiastic as I am. My son loves it though.

Glad I'm not the only anal retentive one out there. Good for you. My wife always loved flying with me, the only thing she hated is when I would walk in the door, throw my **** on the floor and tell her I suck at flying and I couldn't fly a paper airplane across a kindergarten classroom.

PP with 8 year sabbatical and my first re-intro flight is Tuesday.

Yes! Same story here a few years ago.

You'll think you're all prepared and then your instructor will give you a workout. Don't sweat it. They'll get the rust knocked off, get your expectations of your performance and your memory of how to do it all knocked out and then you'll go flying whenever you please.

There will be lots of smiles and frowns along the way, but the biggest smile will be when you crank up on your own and fly solo somewhere safely, and step out of the airplane at your destination. :D

Well, things did not go as badly as I suspected. I did hide all the survival goodies in my flight bag and only took out my headset, wiped the dust off and shined the connections up.

Here's the Metar for a little after we landed, so you can see, it was not picture perfect. But smooth air all around.
----------------------------------------
METAR KROC 00:23Z 04/20/11
KROC 200023Z 10008KT 10SM FEW009 BKN029
OVC035 04/02 A3003 RMK AO2 RAB12E23 P0000
Held altitude, headings better than I thought I would. Especially since most of my flying was done in high wings, and this was a PA 28-140.

steep turns, slow flight, power off stalls, 3 landings (yes, three approaches as well)

I was very nervous during pre-flight, but calmed right down as soon as I got in the plane. I was happy about that, I didn't want nervousness getting in the way.

It was pure fun. I didn't do anything flying related for a few days before, determined to try and enjoy this flight and it worked.

What?! No engine "failure"?! Your instructor was just buttering you up! ;)

Heh heh. Kidding. Kinda.

Brush up on your emergency procedures. Now the fun REALLY starts!

Mike, what airports do you fly out of? You're in my area. I will be spending a lot of time right in between KBUF and KROC. Based at KBQR, will be using use KGVQ a lot for practice. Flying the same plane too, PA-28-140. N15310

Well, things did not go as badly as I suspected. I did hide all the survival goodies in my flight bag and only took out my headset, wiped the dust off and shined the connections up.

Here's the Metar for a little after we landed, so you can see, it was not picture perfect. But smooth air all around.
METAR KROC 00:23Z 04/20/11
KROC 200023Z 10008KT 10SM FEW009 BKN029
OVC035 04/02 A3003 RMK AO2 RAB12E23 P0000
Held altitude, headings better than I thought I would. Especially since most of my flying was done in high wings, and this was a PA 28-140.

steep turns, slow flight, power off stalls, 3 landings (yes, three approaches as well)

I was very nervous during pre-flight, but calmed right down as soon as I got in the plane. I was happy about that, I didn't want nervousness getting in the way.

It was pure fun. I didn't do anything flying related for a few days before, determined to try and enjoy this flight and it worked.

I guess it's OK to compulsively over-prepare, as long as you include "make sure you have fun" on the checklist. :wink2:

Mike, what airports do you fly out of? You're in my area. I will be spending a lot of time right in between KBUF and KROC. Based at KBQR, will be using use KGVQ a lot for practice. Flying the same plane too, PA-28-140. N15310

I bit complicated.

I live near a small grass strip (K31) Sharon, NY but I work near KROC (rochester) most of the year.

We have a summer camp in Sodus Point, NY so I joined a club in Williamson, (KSDC), the flying club owns the airport and 5 planes. Full time instructor, 2 other part timers.

I spend a good portion of my life in Sodus so I decided to go there so I can fly evenings during the week while I'm working.

Plus, the closest rentals at Home are at NYO (Johnstown, NY) and there is a PA 128-140 for rent there, so the checkout in that plane makes sense so I can fly in either place.

Got all that?:eek:

Back