My Private Pilot Story

shyampatel94

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Shyam Patel
Hey everyone! I haven't posted much because of school and work. So here is my story. I started my journey the end of the summer of 2012 and still have not finished... I only have 0.9 hours of PIC before I can take my checkride. Problem is my consistency. Last time I flew was in January. I really want to finish it this summer but I just need some motivation from this community! I have spent way too much money to just give up. I am so close and really want to finish it. I will start flying again in the end of May or beginning of June. I would probably need to recap on all the maneuvers and emergency procedures. Any tips that will help me get ready for it? If I flew everyday for 2 hours how long do yall think I could get up and ready to take my checkride? Also worried about my oral test, what is the best way to get prepared for it? Anyways, thanks for yalls help!

Relax. Sometimes a break from flying results in improvement. A wild skill fluctuation pre checkride is possible, if it happens don't let it get you down. Full speed ahead.

Doesn't sound like you need a kick in the pants from us, it sounds like you have all the motivation you need. Don't worry about the time spent not flying, when it's time, practice and practice to proficiency and you'll be ready. Enjoy each and every flight and good luck!

20 years ago, I stopped and started my training a few times with multi-month gaps. This was more a money thing than anything else, and that was when it "only" cost $80/hour DUAL in a Cherokee 180.

When I finally had the funds and some time, I resumed after a 7 month lapse. I resumed in April of that year and with the benefit of a few back to back perfect weather weekends for the solo X/C's, got my PPL in August.

You say you have .9 left to be eligible for the checkride. But keep in mind the individual hourly requiremnts as part of that magic "40 hour" minimum to be checkride qualified. In particular - you need 3 hours with a CFI in prep of the checkride within the preceeding 2 months of the test. Then review your logbook to make sure you have all the other specific hour requirements like dual night(3), solo(10 total, including 5 X/C), Dual Simulated IR(3), etc.

Sounds like you're real close!

Back