My Private Pilot CFI - Flying A10s at Davis Monthan

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
I still keep in touch with my CFI that I got my Private with. He was a weapons loader on the A10 while he was in the reserves. He finished training in the T-38 and found out a few days ago he will be flying A10s down in Tuscon. He shared the video of him getting selected to fly A10s - he was ecstatic. Pretty dang cool. I have to admit I'm jealous!

Anyways, congrats to him! :)

It's a great time for the kids to get into fighter and attack platforms. Still competitive, and still a minority of assignments, but much better drops these days than when I went through 12 years ago. Timing and luck. These are the best days of your buddy's life. He probably doesn't know it yet, but I do.

It's a great time for the kids to get into fighter and attack platforms. Still competitive, and still a minority of assignments, but much better drops these days than when I went through 12 years ago. Timing and luck. These are the best days of your buddy's life. He probably doesn't know it yet, but I do.

If I didn’t have asthma I would have done ROTC in engineering school in a heartbeat. The friends I had in AF ROTC who were in engineering are all flying something now in the AF. Sure beats the hell out of sitting at a desk with no purpose. Talk about a struggle lol. It hasn’t been easy seeing friends of mine get these opportunities. The civilian route isn’t half as interesting as your guys’ route, but if it saves me from the corporate drone life of the cubicle then count me in. It can’t be much worse.

It sure is weird thinking that it was just 2 years ago (or was it 3...) that he was droning along teaching in the 172 and now he is flying this cool stuff...

Last edited:
Congrats to him. The real works starts now...

You mean like hauling butt across the ground, surfing mountains, wavin to the kids and making money?! Did you say something about work??

Okay I’m kidding I’m kidding...

Last edited:
You mean like hauling butt across the ground, surfing mountains, wavin to the kids and making money?! Did you say something about work??

Okay I’m kidding I’m kidding...
All true (except the hauling butt part...)

He's going to have a blast. Most people that haven't done it think that pilot training is the hard part. The hard part starts when you hit the seat of that fighter. It ends when you retire.

All true (except the hauling butt part...)

He's going to have a blast. Most people that haven't done it think that pilot training is the hard part. The hard part starts when you hit the seat of that fighter. It ends when you retire.

Yea the hauling butt part is reserved for you :p

Sounds like a good time. He’s got two very young kids. Sure it isn’t easy with a family, but hey I’d love to be in his shoes. Living the dream...as they say.

Definitely! Being a dad (as I've just found out) is a time commitment like no other. The fighter pilot wives as a group are amazing women. We work long hours and are away for months at a time; they keep the kids going and the house standing. It will be a tough transition for them, but thankfully there are good support networks all over in fighter land! He's about to have the perma-grin for a while.

Definitely! Being a dad (as I've just found out) is a time commitment like no other. The fighter pilot wives as a group are amazing women. We work long hours and are away for months at a time; they keep the kids going and the house standing. It will be a tough transition for them, but thankfully there are good support networks all over in fighter land! He's about to have the perma-grin for a while.

Yea so no excuses for the civilian pilot wives who think being away for 4-5 days is bad. That's what I'm gonna tell my wife. No bitchin! hahah

Gave a guy a FR yesterday, and he told me he's waiting for a class date for UPT. Got on with the reserve C-130 unit at Maxwell. I started to ask if he had heard about the Savannah crash but didn't. Good guy.

Back