My plane it turns out, has an ugly past

I thought you TX people put stars on everything. Would have thought you'd liked the old scheme better. I'm a fan of your current one.

They do!

images

I agree, that sure is head turner. Look at the climb angle. :D

HeadTurneronRamp.JPG

I do like your current paint job. Itta looka verrra nice.

I had a boss once... drove an old VW. He kept the hood polished and the left side hubcaps on, because those were the only parts he really saw. Said he only cared about what HE thought of the way it looked.

That old paint job looks like that stupid “The More You Know...” public service announcement thing on TV @SixPapaCharlie — you could have done some comedy with that. :)

I have a photo, somewhere, of a Mondrian-style Cessna. That was back in the film age for me; I'll see if I can find it.

Lucky it's just your airplane.

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with airplanes, but it is so apropos.
I just did a baptism for a young couple for whom I had performed a wedding ceremony about 3 years ago.
Nice couple, they stayed with the church after the wedding. Most couples disappear and never come back.
I like them both, very much.
The guy is a nerd, very bright, hardworking and average looking. The bride a really sweet young lady, and is a total, card carrying, turbo robo babe.
She is hot is 5 different languages, etc, etc.
The baby is 3 months old. Typical sweet baby girl, except.......
The baby has the biggest nose and ears I have seen since Dumbo.
The kid's nose is so big she could have a twin brother or sister hiding in it.
Jimmy Durante looks like a rhinoplasty gone bad next to this kid.
Turns out, baby mommy had some work done. A. lot. of. work. done.
The in-laws figured the only way to get her married and out of the house was invest a lot of money in their daughters looks.
And make sure no one knew about it. Especially baby mommies husband.
Unfortunately, DNA can't be denied.
Baby daddy is miffed about being lied to, and let's face it no one likes that kind of surprise, but the three of us are talking it out, and the baby is just a sweetheart.
She also has grandparents with very deep pockets so I'm sure she will end up looking just like mommy.

I just did a baptism for a young couple for whom I had performed a wedding ceremony about 3 years ago.
Nice couple, they stayed with the church after the wedding. Most couples disappear and never come back.
The guy is a nerd, very bright, hardworking and average looking. The bride a really sweet young lady, and is a total, card carrying, turbo robo babe.
The in-laws figured the only way to get her married and out of the house was invest a lot of money in their daughters looks.
Baby daddy is miffed about being lied to, and let's face it no one likes that kind of surprise, but the three of us are talking it out, and the baby is just a sweetheart.
She also has grandparents with very deep pockets so I'm sure she will end up looking just like mommy.
Better story than: have a look at the mailman and milkman along with the UPS driver...

I believe you touched on everything Shep. First I was laughing, then uh oh, and then OMG, a man's fear. Glad you're counseling them and hope it works out.

BTW, I love the C'Boys too, but for the love of all that is good and Holy, don't put a star on it.

Had to post some of Grumman's factory paint schemes from the mid-1970s. Must be something about that airplane
that makes people want to dust off their better-to-remain-hidden paint-by-numbers talent. :idea: Or maybe too much Donna Summer
disco beat addling the grey matter back then? :dunno:
Note the "fighter pilot" helmets in the bottom picture.

(Just as an aside, flipping through those back issues of Flying mag around the time I learned to fly are entertaining.
Cessna was aggressively flogging piston singles (150, 172, 177) in a ten-consecutive page advertisement :yes:,
the King and Rockwell-Collins avionics adverts look quaint compared to today's tech, and piston twins were still
a big part of the GA scene.)

upload_2018-3-11_13-4-34.png

upload_2018-3-11_13-8-48.png

upload_2018-3-11_13-10-8.png

Last edited:
When I bought my Cheetah in 1999, it had the factory-original olive green and orange paint scheme ... the official colors of the 1970s. :confused:

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 1.40.48 PM.png

That exterior alone might have been tolerable, but the previous owner had put in a lovely new Naugahyde interior ... in burgundy and cream. Something had to be done, quickly. I found a Piper paint scheme that I liked ...

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 1.41.06 PM.png

... and adapted it to the Cheetah.

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 1.42.06 PM.png

If you try to duplicate an original American Aviation or Grumman American paint scheme from the 1960s up to 1977, you'll find that standard 12" registration marks don't fit. Somehow the factory got by with using stick-on numbers that were only 10" high. But all those airplanes are old enough now that you can use 2" numbers if you only fly domestically.

Back