My plane is cheating on me again

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
A few years I got a phone call "FROM THE FAA" asking me if my plane was flying in Arkansas.
I didn't verify the vice on the phone but I told him unless I heard otherwise my plane was dusty, parked in the hangar.
He said OK, ATC can fat-finger the N number.

I guess it just happened again, unless my plane snuck out for a quickie in El Reno, OK.

FlightAware Alerts <alerts@flightaware.com>
12:32 PM (46 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

N284M spotted in flight near El Reno Rgnl (KRQO) at 12:30PM CDT​

:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Phantom N284M in Reno.jpeg
    Phantom N284M in Reno.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Probably Bryan out there using your call sign. He did start a thread asking about just that. :D

Or, smugglers using your call sign I bet.

I thought the transponder was mapped to the tail number.

A few years I got a phone call "FROM THE FAA" asking me if my plane was flying in Arkansas.
I didn't verify the vice on the phone but I told him unless I heard otherwise my plane was dusty, parked in the hangar.
He said OK, ATC can fat-finger the N number.

I guess it just happened again, unless my plane snuck out for quickee in Reno.

FlightAware Alerts <alerts@flightaware.com>
12:32 PM (46 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

N284M spotted in flight near El Reno Rgnl (KRQO) at 12:30PM CDT​

:rolleyes:
Did ya ask them why they cared?

While based in Alabama, I got an email from Signature notifying me of the 400 -gallons- of fuel I'd just bought. I have an account with Signature and there's a credit card attached. I'm all WTF.

Because my plane was currently in various states of disassembly while in for an annual, and the fuel was purchased in California.

Turns out the counter person didn't enter the tail number correctly.

I have ADS-B out now, so every flight is tracked in detail with my N-number.

Evidently, I landed after an hour's flight from Reno.

unpossible. ADS-B can't be wrong...

unpossible. ADS-B can't be wrong...

Less than 30 seconds to re-configure my ADS-B out solution to any N-number I choose. Modern boxes make this so trivially easy and have no mechanisms to prevent someone from doing so other than obscurity.

Nice way to establish an alibi what are you REALLY doing?

Nice way to establish an alibi what are you REALLY doing?

lol reminds of that guy in FL a year or more ago that would fly to NYC to see his mistress that posted on here. He'd might be up the creek now.

Did ya ask them why they cared?
Same question here.

If I ever get a call like that, I will seriously be questioning the voice on the other end of the line.
Why would they even call me if I can only take someone's word that they are from the FAA and then they don't have a choice but take my word that I am not lying. *shrug*

And frankly, I might not want to give them an answer anyway because what if I provide the wrong answer and it is misconstrued as aiding and abetting? What if my airplane really is flying somewhere illegally and I am stupidly thinking it is sitting safe in my hangar?

I wonder...if your airplane landed in Reno, why would they expect to be reaching you at home?

Two different stories.

The call I got a few years ago was about the plane flying in Arkansas.

FlightAware just picked it up on a flight from El Reno Rgnl (KRQO) to KRVS in Tulsa in OK.

While based in Alabama, I got an email from Signature notifying me of the 400 -gallons- of fuel I'd just bought. I have an account with Signature and there's a credit card attached. I'm all WTF.

Because my plane was currently in various states of disassembly while in for an annual, and the fuel was purchased in California.

Turns out the counter person didn't enter the tail number correctly.

In July, I bought 10 gallons at Signature... pricey stuff... they ran the charge eleven times! Training opportunity?

Paul

Back