My Piper Wing Spar AD Story (video)

I was tense watching this. I know you put a lot into the plane making it your own. Quite a relief. Happy for you.

I was tense watching this. I know you put a lot into the plane making it your own. Quite a relief. Happy for you.
It was definitely a relief! Thank you!

Glad your plane got a clean bill of health. Excellent explanation of the problem and the test. Thanks.

It's good the test passed.

But I have to criticize you. Laying on your back under the airplane and spraying a petroleum compound onto the spar bolts without wearing eye protection is, well, stupid. Any activity you do in the hangar or at home that exposes your eyes to damage by foreign fluids or objects requires safety glasses to be worn, period.

I have at least a dozen pairs of safety glasses in my home, garage, and shop. I keep them in clean "shorty" athletic socks, so they don't get scratches on the lenses. You don't get second chances with eye damage.

The same goes for hearing protection. You might look like a dweeb wearing earplugs or muffs to blow leaves, but hearing loss is cumulative. You won't know it's occurred until it's too late.

Up your game, dude.

Glad she passed. All that prep work for a relatively brief test. Better than a long drawn out test across multiple hours or days.

Nice video, congrats on passing!

Glad your plane got a clean bill of health. Excellent explanation of the problem and the test. Thanks.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the explanations!

It's good the test passed.

But I have to criticize you. Laying on your back under the airplane and spraying a petroleum compound onto the spar bolts without wearing eye protection is, well, stupid. Any activity you do in the hangar or at home that exposes your eyes to damage by foreign fluids or objects requires safety glasses to be worn, period.

I have at least a dozen pairs of safety glasses in my home, garage, and shop. I keep them in clean "shorty" athletic socks, so they don't get scratches on the lenses. You don't get second chances with eye damage.

The same goes for hearing protection. You might look like a dweeb wearing earplugs or muffs to blow leaves, but hearing loss is cumulative. You won't know it's occurred until it's too late.

Up your game, dude.
haha ok. I'll bring my safety glasses next time.

Glad she passed. All that prep work for a relatively brief test. Better than a long drawn out test across multiple hours or days.
Yeah the test was so quick. I had to organize my mechanic, the tech, and another plane on the field to keep the tech's cost down a bit since he was traveling to us.

Nice video, congrats on passing!
Thanks!

Question. Now that your plane has passed, what interval if any, does the AD require retesting?

Question. Now that your plane has passed, what interval if any, does the AD require retesting?
It is a one time AD, but considered an interim one to gather data. I believe they will issue some other guidance or AD based on the findings of this one, perhaps expand the inspection to more airframes with a different factored hours formula or narrow the criteria somehow to target the trending failures. Time will tell! I don't anticipate to have to do it again though.

It is a one time AD, but considered an interim one to gather data. I believe they will issue some other guidance or AD based on the findings of this one, perhaps expand the inspection to more airframes with a different factored hours formula or narrow the criteria somehow to target the trending failures. Time will tell! I don't anticipate to have to do it again though.
Interesting. The skydive outfit I used to work for had a high time Twin Otter and we had to have someone come in and do eddy current the wing rivets in order to keep it compliant. I don't recall the test interval, but I believe there was an interval. Which makes sense. We were testing because it was a high time airframe. Just because it wasn't cracked now, doesn't mean it wouldn't be cracked at some point in the future.

Cliff notes version? no clickbait vids for me.

I didn't watch it yet, but I'm going to assume he complied with the wing spar AD inspection and it passed.
To which a synopsis could just be posted....but PoA clicks aren't as cool as YT clicks. Gotta pimp that channel.

Leave the guy alone, his videos are awesome and the explanation was a good one. I can tell you that all Cherokees will eventually see this, it's just hitting the abused ones first. These aircraft weren't built to last forever.

To which a synopsis could just be posted....but PoA clicks aren't as cool as YT clicks. Gotta pimp that channel.

eh, it was interesting to see how they perform the inspection.

I think you need your own youtube channel where you just go and rip other youtubers a new one. I'd subscribe. and like. and probably hit the bell too.

it would just be the same video over and over, and I wouldn't ever get recommended, or monetized because I would use more than just 1 of the prohibited youtube words. lol

Cliff notes version? no clickbait vids for me.
The title was on the clickbaity side, but 13,000 views vs. dozens to hundreds for mine.
On the other hand, the video was well done. Better than any of mine.
I guess it all about the objective. Mr. Monkey is doing a better job of getting content to people than I do. Perhaps I should title one of my videos "Think you understand lift? You are wrong!" or "Potentially Fatal Rotax Failure!"

Cliff notes:
Way too much time and money making a beater into a beauty queen
You stick a thing in the bolt hole and you get wiggles on the screen if there is a crack when the stick in thing is at the same depth as the crack - kinda cool to watch
No wiggles on the screen.

Mine passed today! Now i know the relief you feel when everything turns out. I was worried because the airframe has 17K hrs. and has spent It's entire life as a trainer....

Mine passed today! Now i know the relief you feel when everything turns out. I was worried because the airframe has 17K hrs. and has spent It's entire life as a trainer....
Locally a bunch of >10k hour pa28 trainers are passing with no issues. I'm beginning to think the results say more about the a&p and ec tester than it does the airplane.

Several that failed have passed retesting after cleaning the bolt hole. It’s a very sensitive test and pretty easy to get a false positive.

Perhaps I should title one of my videos "Think you understand lift? You are wrong!" or "Potentially Fatal Rotax Failure!"

Maybe you should. A very small percent of the population will connect with the Laplace transformation on your YouTube page banner. I appreciate it because I majored in engineering 15 years ago, but to most people that’s just going to go right over their heads. So, you might attract people like me, but it is very unlikely you’ll attract viewership from non-math/engineering folks.

To everyone else..
What a bunch of sour pusses. “Click bait” is not a new concept. If you have something to say, you have to attract people to actually look at your content. This practice predates YouTube. Sure, @FlyingMonkey takes it a bit further as is the norm for Youtubers, but we all know that this for entertainment. Get that broomstick out of your arses and lighten up.

@FlyingMonkey thank you for making content that I can tune into over breakfast and watch with my wife and son to prime them for our next exciting flight.

tenor.gif

:D

so so cynical. You make a lot of assumptions and you don't even know me. In my day job as a commercial cinematographer I have no interaction with the audience. I have no idea if people have seen or enjoy my work at all. Since audience connection is lacking from my (paid/career) work I am finding it elsewhere. I spend dozens and dozens of hours on each Youtube video for my own creative satisfaction - total creative control to communicate things the way I want to and the way I am good at. But also I want as many people to see this stuff as possible- it's why we who make films make them- to reach people in one way or another. And it has been incredibly gratifying to connect with other aviators over this content. I'll make a title and thumbnail the way it needs to be done to bring in an audience on youtube- that is just the nature of the platform. I hate it as much as you do, but it is what it is for (free) content on the internet. I'd rather more people see the results of my efforts than fewer. You can either choose to see the content for what it is, or remain cynical and let that color your perception of it. Totally your choice. But I'll keep making these videos because it has been so fun expressing my ideas, capturing family moments, and telling aviation stories that seem to have connected with others who feel the same way about flying as I do.

... In my day job as a commercial cinematographer I have no interaction with the audience. I have no idea if people have seen or enjoy my work at all...

I enjoy it a lot, love the fun you and your family have with aviation and, especially, the high-quality production values you bring to the channel (to be expected, I imagine!). Keep 'em coming, says I!

I will say this, I watch a lot of YouTube aviation videos. And while some of his stuff is corny and sometimes I wince (Sedona video) and I want to grab his hat and put a curve in his bill, he produces some of the best shot videos of the genre. He and Trent should, as they are both professionals. Josh at Aviation 101 is also great in that respect.

But what makes a video a video? To me it's story telling, and that is something he has down and understands. I'm sure he storyboards the video before he edits them. It's what makes the difference between a boring video that gets no views, and a channel like his that has blown up. His girls and his wife have bought into the whole thing, and they also understand what makes good content.

He posts here and I appreciate it, because he really doesn't need the clicks from this site. I bet he tracks such things, and I bet the clicks here are less than one tenth of one percent of his overall views. I think he posts here because he likes the site, and for aviation forums that are dying all over the place because everything has moved to Facebook, we should appreciate it.

I enjoy it a lot, love the fun you and your family have with aviation and, especially, the high-quality production values you bring to the channel (to be expected, I imagine!). Keep 'em coming, says I!
thank you!

Back