My old ship....

poadeleted1

Deleted by request
From Landings.com:

The USS America, a steam-powered aircraft carrier commissioned in January 1965 and the first and only such ship to land a U-2 spy plane, was sunk off the coast of North Carolina last month.

Decommissioned in August 1996, the 84,000 ton carrier was first used for a series of explosive tests by the Navy before she sank in more than 6,000 feet of water about 60 miles off shore. The Navy wouldn't be more specific about her location, only that she went down May 14 following a series of explosions over 25 days. She was the third Kitty Hawk class attack carrier and was listed on the rolls as CVA-66 until removed from service. Members of her former crew are trying to persuade the Navy to name the next supercarrier, CVN-78, in honor of the America.

Although we all have many demands on our time, I would encourage everyone to drop a note to their Senator/Congresscritter asking that CVN 78 be named USS AMERICA. No self respecting country should be without a flagship; a symbol of their greatness....and no ship says it better than an Aircraft Carrier.

Thanks,

F.W. Birdman said:
From Landings.com:

The USS America, a steam-powered aircraft carrier commissioned in January 1965 and the first and only such ship to land a U-2 spy plane, was sunk off the coast of North Carolina last month.

Decommissioned in August 1996, the 84,000 ton carrier was first used for a series of explosive tests by the Navy before she sank in more than 6,000 feet of water about 60 miles off shore.

I'm confused as to why they didn't sink her shallower in the Keys or something as part of the Artifical Reef Program and make a dive site out of her.

No idea as to why. Maybe it was just too dangerous? I have gotten lost on board while it was on the surface....maybe it was sunk there due to the nature of the tests? I understand that they used s-s, a-s and torpedoes to sink the old girl.

F.W. Birdman said:
No idea as to why. Maybe it was just too dangerous? I have gotten lost on board while it was on the surface....maybe it was sunk there due to the nature of the tests? I understand that they used s-s, a-s and torpedoes to sink the old girl.

Wouldn't be the first thing they sunk down off the Marquessas that way, heck, it's a charted bombing range. As for getting lost in it, if you aren't certified/knowledgeable for penetration, you don't, if you are, you follow your line back out. You can get lost and die in the Wilkes Barre and Kendrick as well, besides it would be impressive enough without penetrating.

Henning said:
I'm confused as to why they didn't sink her shallower in the Keys or something as part of the Artifical Reef Program and make a dive site out of her.

IIRC, up to the late '70s-early '80s there were ships sunk from NC down to FLA for artificial reefs and erosion control. Then the environ nazis jumped in...

Richard said:
IIRC, up to the late '70s-early '80s there were ships sunk from NC down to FLA for artificial reefs and erosion control. Then the environ nazis jumped in...

They just make sure things are cleaned when they get sunk is all. They still sink ships as dive sites. They did one last year even.

Henning said:
They just make sure things are cleaned when they get sunk is all. They still sink ships as dive sites. They did one last year even.

Do they still sink the big rafts of old tires?

I did the old tire thing in Chesapeake Bay about 6 years ago. About 4 years ago, we sunk 300 or so M113A1 APCs off of Long Island in about 60-70 feet of water. For fishies and divers.

Henning said:
besides it would be impressive enough without penetrating.

Wouldn't it though! I dove the USS Mitspah off West Palm some time ago and that was impressive at only 185'. Two tank dive wouldn't be enough to see just the outside of the hull of an 1100' carrier!

Back