My notes on oxygen use

systemloc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SystemLoc
I'm writing a few notes on my oxygen setup, as well as my measured usage to determine tank size, length of flight, etc. This is stuff I couldn't find with google before getting some gear, so hopefully it's useful to some newb like me.

I recently picked up a few items to start flying with oxygen. I use medical type gear I found on craigslist for next to nothing, with continuous flow regulators, and a pendant style oxymizer cannula. My thinking is that the reservoir in this style cannula might help conserve oxygen by allowing a lower flow rate.

I use a finger pulse oximeter. I shoot for an oxygen sat of 94-97 percent. I felt fine at 88-91, but if I see these values, I increase flow. I may run leaner in the future, but I'm starting conservative. It's worth noting that the blood's oxygen carrying capacity really starts dropping below a sat of 88%, so that is a hard cutoff for me.

With a 170L bottle, I flew to 17,500ft on a test flight. I started 1L at 8000 ft, 2 L at 10,000 ft, and 4L at 16,000 ft. This was based on pulse ox readings, and conservative. Total oxygen usage time was about 30 min. At the end of the flight I had 1600 psi in the tank, from about 2100 psi, so used maybe 500 psi. If you equate pressure to volume as a 1 to 1 ratio, I used about 1/4 off the tank. Theoretically, this tank should last about 85 min at 2L and 42 min at 4L, so this matches my actual usage numbers pretty well.

I also made a flight with a 680L cylinder at 14,500-15,500 ft at 2.5L for about 105 min.
The tank started a little over 2000 psi and at end reads 1000 psi, so used maybe 1000 psi.
I calculate i should have used 777 psi:
105 min * 2.5 L/min * 2.96 psi/L/min = 777 psi
I'll admit, I didn't do a great job of marking my times and numbers precisely on this flight, which may account for the discrepancy. I'll post more here as I make more flights.

A 680L cylinder is rated for 2015 psi, so that's 2.96 psi/L/min as a rough conversion to figure out how long the tank should last. This is based on the ideal gas laws which aren't very precise, so a safety margin is mandatory.

One tip on the oximizer cannula. Occasionally pull it down and press the ports against your upper lip to confirm that the bags in the cannula inflates. The confirms you are actually getting oxygen to the cannula. I once had an issue where when getting in the plane I inadvertently pulled a connector appart on the oxygen line and while the flow meter was showing the appropriate flow, I wasn’t getting any of it.

Brian
LS6b N1720

I don't fly on oxygen, so can't comment to that part of it, but this seems like great info to me. My bet is that ideal gas law for draw of pure 02 at way higher than 1 atm is pretty close. I think any inaccuracies are going to be in the pulse ox meter, the flow meter, and the pressure gauge. From my limited experience with welding gasses, I believe those tank gauges are pretty close at the high end, but may suffer in accuracy at the low end. This info, though, lets you predict what you're going to need, and even double check in flight. If either your pulse ox or flow meter stops working in flight, you can work without it, or cross reference any error a bit.

Back