My New "What I See" Video

whifferdill

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
whifferdill
Not quite Rob Holland-like, but a first run through my new Advanced Free I'll fly this year. Flown in a waivered box at LKR. Lots of little things to clean up.

Looked good to me. The pushes from inverted look uncomfortable ....

The pushes from inverted look uncomfortable ....

They are when you first start doing them. But you get used to them and while they might never be what I'd call "comfortable', the level of discomfort definitely drops to the point where you don't really mind -4G pushes too much. But everyone's different. Like any other tolerance, you can lose it, and it must be rebuilt via regular exposure. You want to ease into negative G tolerance. Don't do a -4G push right out of the gate.

Looked good to me.

It was overall a decent flight, but here are my notes on it - being as critical as possible.

Fig. 1 - Could have drawn slightly longer lines before and after the 2x4 up. Over the top and the 2x4 down looked OK.

Fig. 2 - Needed slightly longer level line after Fig. 1 (gives the judges more time to score the previous figure). Same thing as above on the vertical roll. Could have exited inverted a little slower.

Fig. 3 - Pulled to the buffet trying to quickly pull vertical down after the spin...a little rocking around there - but unlikely to be seen from the ground. Slight undersnap. Fixed it on the vertical line like a dummy rather than during the pullout. What I mean here is that if you are slightly off on a roll heading on a downline, don't fix it. Correct your heading on the pullout. If you fix it, the judges will see your error and downgrade. If you don't fix it, there's a chance it will go unnoticed. This applies to any roll, really - spins, snaps, level rolls, vertical rolls.

Fig. 4 - Long after the 1/4 roll up. Bare amount of hammer torque. Negative snap was OK.

Fig. 5 - Under on the first 2x8 point. Points rushed.

Fig. 6 - Should have started the Immelmann roll a fraction of second sooner. Snap stop slightly soft.

Fig. 7 - Roller had slight roll rate deviation. Not too bad though.

Fig. 8 - Crappy slow snap. A little oversnap. Too late on the rudder starting the snap.

Fig. 9 - Rushed 2x8 points down. Need to pull some power and slow the points down with little longer lines before and after.

Fig. 10 - Positive up, some hammer torque...and fixed it like a dummy (see above). Short after the 3x4.

Fig. 11 - Pretty much OK.

Fig. 12 - OK, but didn't check attitude after snap.

Box position. Not sure I like that wedge w/ snap and 1/2 roll on 45 down. Downwind 45 makes it hard to stay in the box afterwards when there's significant wind down the X.

Last edited:
Yep, that's picky but then you don't get better unless you're picky.

I finally got the eagle back from the prop shop and thought, goody I can start flying now and promptly got a bad cold..... Someday, I'll be able to start practicing.

Overall it's really nice. Not going to nitpick, that's the judge's job.

Can you tell me how you mounted the camera and what helmet you mounted it to?

No helmet, just a Drift HD170 cam w/ elastic headstrap.

No helmet, just a Drift HD170 cam w/ elastic headstrap.

Do you ever have any problem with the camera staying in place under Gs (5-6), or during snap rolls?
I fly with an HGU-55, do you think that elastic headstrap will be able keep the camera securely attached to the helmet at it does to the head?

Right now I just mount GoPros to various parts of the aircraft, and I would really be interested in making a "what I see" video.

That was really, really cool and makes me want to go out and take an aerobatics intro course... But I might add that you should probably find a snugger pair of sunglasses.

Do you ever have any problem with the camera staying in place under Gs (5-6), or during snap rolls?
I fly with an HGU-55, do you think that elastic headstrap will be able keep the camera securely attached to the helmet at it does to the head?

The flight in the video was flown to +6/-4G, and had positive and negative snaps. No issues with the camera staying in place here or during other flights. I think it would stay in place on a helmet. With a helmet, you can adjust the strap so it stretches tighter than what you'd want if it was just around your head.

Yep, that's picky but then you don't get better unless you're picky.

I finally got the eagle back from the prop shop and thought, goody I can start flying now and promptly got a bad cold..... Someday, I'll be able to start practicing.

I got your cold. Thanks.:mad:

;)

The flight in the video was flown to +6/-4G, and had positive and negative snaps. No issues with the camera staying in place here or during other flights. I think it would stay in place on a helmet. With a helmet, you can adjust the strap so it stretches tighter than what you'd want if it was just around your head.

That sounds good.
I saw in the video you moved your hand to the camera a few times, first thought maybe you were making sure it's still there.

Excellent video. but you might look into tightening your mike. :)

Very nice. I'm completely new to aerobatics, just had my second lesson last week in an S2A. Trying to get at least one in a week before I start competing here in FL when a contest comes available and I've had enough time to be able to do so without embarrassing myself completely haha. Very well may see you around the eastern seaboard this year.

Very nice. I'm completely new to aerobatics, just had my second lesson last week in an S2A. Trying to get at least one in a week before I start competing here in FL when a contest comes available and I've had enough time to be able to do so without embarrassing myself completely haha. Very well may see you around the eastern seaboard this year.

Hey Jon - just remember it's about having fun and learning. Don't take it too seriously. Just jump in and do it. The Keystone, FL contest is this weekend, and Sebring is the first weekend in May, same as our NC contest. Congrats on getting started! Prepare for the possibility of addiction. :D Eric

Hey Jon - just remember it's about having fun and learning. Don't take it too seriously. Just jump in and do it. The Keystone, FL contest is this weekend, and Sebring is the first weekend in May, same as our NC contest. Congrats on getting started! Prepare for the possibility of addiction. :D Eric

I always have fun doing things that aren't normal for most pilots. And the addiction has already set in pretty thoroughly. As long as my body can hold up to the beating, I think I'll be in competition aerobatics for many years to come. I won't be able to make it to Keystone unfortunately, however I already have plans to make it to Sebring in May.

http://youtu.be/_2bEBDlK4j8

Got me a gopro to see where I need improvement the most, since I just really started and everything surely needs a ton of work. Figured I'd post in this thread since it exists already. I know my rudder work needs a ton of improvement both in the loop and the slow roll.

Very cool. Have fun at Sebring. I'm running our spring contest in Wilson, NC that same weekend. Don't take it too seriously, just try to have fun.

Back