My new little aerobatic biplane :-)

pigpenracing

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
pigpen
Just picked up a 2010 Pitts HP Model 12..... Very fun to fly, it gets more attention on the ramp than anything. I was told not to taxi a model 12, you parade it instead. LOL!

Attachments

• model124.jpg
    model124.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 253
  • model123.jpg
    model123.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 184
Just picked up a 2010 Pitts HP Model 12..... Very fun to fly, it gets more attention on the ramp than anything. I was told not to taxi a model 12, you parade it instead. LOL!

Looks sweet, what round engine is that?

KOOL....

Kevin Kimball hit a home run with that design.....

I knew him back when he was a little kid....

He was damn smart back then too....:yes:

Nice. Unusual paint scheme. I like it.

KOOL....

Kevin Kimball hit a home run with that design.....

I knew him back when he was a little kid....

He was damn smart back then too....:yes:

It is Curtis Pitt's design.. I think the Kimball's bought the rights from Curtis to build and sell the Kits.

Nice looking airplane. Congrats,and good luck.

I looked at it in person, and it's one of the finest built experimentals you will ever see.

Love the sound of those radials! :)

NICE!!

How does it handle compared to a normal Pitts?

NICE!!

How does it handle compared to a normal Pitts?

It flies really nice. You would never know you are flying a big biplane. I had a S-2C and a couple of Eagles. The fun factor in this plane is through the roof.... It has really light controls and seems more balanced than the other Pitts I have flown. I have only done a few loops and rolls so for and it is just a blast. Curtis Pitts said this was the best Pitts ever and I agree.

The sound of that redial gave you a boner didn't it :)
Now you gotta fly in it...

All heads turn when you light it off that's for sure.

Love the belching smoke and the sound. Being electric start and not air start is a plus. I'll be first in line to fly in it!

Take care of my next airplane! ;)

All heads turn when you light it off that's for sure.

Love the belching smoke and the sound. Being electric start and not air start is a plus. I'll be first in line to fly in it!

Take care of my next airplane! ;)

Here is one for you Mark... He takes trades also.
2006 PITTS MODEL 12 • $225,000 • TRADES WELCOMEVery nice M12, 110 hrs TTAF, Engine and Prop. 15 since props Inspection and reseal at MT Deland. Aircraft Build by the best to show above the rest. Engine M14P new Green case, Prop is an MTV9-250 with wide cord blades. Aircraft is double covered and has Carbon seats front and rear. with Carbon Heel trays. This was Sun n Fun 2006 show winner and best Biplane and is an impeccable build and finish, Com/Transponder/Encoder. Smoke System, Fire Supression System, Open Cockpit Canopy and Counter Balanced Rudder as loose Equipment. Packing and Shipping available. Call for further details. • Contact Ian Wolfenden - PLANEMARKETING , Owner - located Vero Beach FL , FL USA • Telephone: 772-559-5557 . 772-563-0774 . • Fax: 772-563-4922 • Posted February 10, 2015 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Pictures
1x1.gif

I owned a share in an older Pitts S2A some time ago. It was the most fun I ever had in an airplane once I was away from the ground. It wasn't a good plane for short, narrow or rough field operations. In fact, the other owners and I used to say if we had enough money, we'd ditch the plane and just bail out after each flight and then buy another one for the next day. Landing in gusting winds was spooky even with a constantly turning approach. In the air it was a dream, but with the O-360, our vertical lines weren't very long. With that big Russian radial, your power to weight must be off the charts. How long did it take for you to get used to opposite rudder on takeoff compared to Lycoming engines?

I owned a share in an older Pitts S2A some time ago. It was the most fun I ever had in an airplane once I was away from the ground. It wasn't a good plane for short, narrow or rough field operations. In fact, the other owners and I used to say if we had enough money, we'd ditch the plane and just bail out after each flight and then buy another one for the next day. Landing in gusting winds was spooky even with a constantly turning approach. In the air it was a dream, but with the O-360, our vertical lines weren't very long. With that big Russian radial, your power to weight must be off the charts. How long did it take for you to get used to opposite rudder on takeoff compared to Lycoming engines?

I was worried about the engine turning the wrong way. The very first takeoff was fine, not really a big deal. You just gotta keep it straight and give it whatever input it needs.
You didn't like to takeoff or land your Pitts? That is the best part for me.... Yes you gotta be on top of it but that's what I like. That's what makes the airplane "not boring". I do not land at short or narrow places, I am pretty conservative. Our airport is 6000x75

Here is one for you Mark... He takes trades also.
2006 PITTS MODEL 12 • $225,000 • TRADES WELCOMEVery nice M12, 110 hrs TTAF, Engine and Prop. 15 since props Inspection and reseal at MT Deland. Aircraft Build by the best to show above the rest. Engine M14P new Green case, Prop is an MTV9-250 with wide cord blades. Aircraft is double covered and has Carbon seats front and rear. with Carbon Heel trays. This was Sun n Fun 2006 show winner and best Biplane and is an impeccable build and finish, Com/Transponder/Encoder. Smoke System, Fire Supression System, Open Cockpit Canopy and Counter Balanced Rudder as loose Equipment. Packing and Shipping available. Call for further details. • Contact Ian Wolfenden - PLANEMARKETING , Owner - located Vero Beach FL , FL USA • Telephone: 772-559-5557 . 772-563-0774 . • Fax: 772-563-4922 • Posted February 10, 2015 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Pictures
1x1.gif

That is one loud paint job!

The wife says a new house comes before the Pitts. :sad:

That is really cool. Wow.

What is the low wing monoplane version of that called? It's really cool as well.

What is the low wing monoplane version of that called?

Whatever you want - it's yet to be designed. :D Sukhois run M14's, but about all they have in common with the Pitts 12 is the engine and that they're both aerobatic. Speaking of radial engine aerobatic monoplanes, the Oreck Cyclone is a pretty cool one-off build by Steve Wolf. It's Pratt 985 powered though.

wsnrx2.jpg

Whatever you want - it's yet to be designed. :D Sukhois run M14's, but about all they have in common with the Pitts 12 is the engine and that they're both aerobatic. Speaking of radial engine aerobatic monoplanes, the Oreck Cyclone is a pretty cool one-off build by Steve Wolf. It's Pratt 985 powered though.

wsnrx2.jpg

No, I've seen the plans, not sure if one is built, it calls for the M-14. I like that one though and would rather have a 985.

No, I've seen the plans, not sure if one is built, it calls for the M-14. I like that one though and would rather have a 985.

Oh I think you're talking about the Raptor A.S. I had forgotten about it. It's a Kimball design, but I can't find anywhere that indicates the design was released or supported, or if a prototype was ever built. Not sure what happened to it. Not listed on the Kimball website as a current design.

n5lq0w.jpg

Oh I think you're talking about the Raptor A.S. I had forgotten about it. It's a Kimball design, but I can't find anywhere that indicates the design was released or supported, or if a prototype was ever built. Not sure what happened to it. Not listed on the Kimball website as a current design.

n5lq0w.jpg

That's it! I knew it was a bird name.

Hmmm... radial aerobatic mono planes... This one's fun for the whole family!

yak18invert.jpg

Yak 18T

YAK_18T_aircraft_repair.jpg

One of those came up a few years back that I nearly bought, might have been that one, paint scheme is familiar.

I didn't see any parachutes in that video. Perhaps it wasn't filmed in the US. I sure wouldn't post any videos of me violating the FARs. I'm not sure I'd want to do any serious acro in an older plane either. Loops and rolls can be low stress maneuvers when done right, but a blown maneuver can lead to some high stresses during recovery. Fatigue is really hard to assess in older metal parts, and that would be a concern for me for an ancient plane with uncertain operating history. Still, it was fun to watch from the comfort of my computer chair. The little girl's reactions were priceless.

I didn't see any parachutes in that video. Perhaps it wasn't filmed in the US. I sure wouldn't post any videos of me violating the FARs.

Considering it isn't a US registered aircraft, I think it is likely not in the US or under FAA jurisdiction.

I didn't see any parachutes in that video. Perhaps it wasn't filmed in the US. I sure wouldn't post any videos of me violating the FARs. I'm not sure I'd want to do any serious acro in an older plane either. Loops and rolls can be low stress maneuvers when done right, but a blown maneuver can lead to some high stresses during recovery. Fatigue is really hard to assess in older metal parts, and that would be a concern for me for an ancient plane with uncertain operating history. Still, it was fun to watch from the comfort of my computer chair. The little girl's reactions were priceless.

It was videoed near the Serverka Airfield in Russia. No FAA regs to worry about. I also wouldn't consider the plane "ancient". They were made from 1967 to the late '80s. A Russian company called Technoavia makes a modified version today. Why do I think you wouldn't think twice about doing loops and rolls in a Stearman from 1943?

Last edited:
Back