My New Hero

Wingsofglass

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Wingsofglass
A guy buys a big hunk of land in the middle of nowhere 35 years ago. He tells everyone what he's going to do with it. Overtime the neighborhood gets discovered and tons of rich people move in. Sound familiar? Fifteen years after telling everyone about an additional building and right before construction starts, the neighbors resurrect a defunct HOA and try and stop it. Guys says fine, I'll take my jobs and project elsewhere and turns the land into low income housing - sending the neighbors into a total panic.

Now I don't know George Lucas so my apologies if he's some sort of child molesting deviant.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/22/us/george-lucas-retreats-from-battle-with-neighbors.html

I remember a very similar story in Baltimore suburbs, except the opposition vanished when the company lawyers said they'd put in low income housing, lots and lots of it. The company could do that as a matter of right....

Memphis has a local nut job (prince mongo) he's from the planet zambodia, wears no shoes and calls everyone spirit. Somehow he is VERY wealthy. The neighbors used to complain about his "yard art" which consisted of toilet flower pots etc... he said he was fed up with the city not doing anything about the homeless and put a few of the up in upscale neighbor hoods and ran a food kitchen out of his home...

A buddy of mine who owns thousands of acres of prime hunting land was getting threatened by a high end country club development around his property. He gave away some of his land to some of the disenfranchised folks in the community and put them all up in trailers. The country club was never built.

build a 269,701-square-foot digital studio

generate light pollution so that “our dark starry skies would be destroyed

So, Lucas wants to build the LucasFilm version of WETA (primary CGI company for Avatar). This means a completely enclosed environment, no lights, no nothing for the actual studio. Offices will have extensive natural light & windows.

In addition to affordable housing, I think he should also consider building a small airport.

Hippy on hippy zoning fights - I love it.

Back