My new favorite, non-aviation toy! Flame Boss!

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I have a Green Egg knock off (Kamodo Akorn from Lowes). It cost around $250 ten years ago, instad of $1,250 for a BGE. I figured if I liked it I would buy a real BGE when this one wears out, but it is still going strong, even though it lives outside in Florida.

But I always had a problem maintaining a constant temp. It would get too hot so I'd close the vent, then it would get too cool so I would open the vent, and it kept yo-yo ing. My friend has a real BGE and he doesn't have that problem.

I was at a store that sells BGEs the other day looking for a wifi remote thermometer to replace my expensive blue tooth junk. The guy said he had one he was going to send back to the factory because the store is changing brands. The new "brand" is the branded Big Green Egg brand, but it is actually still made by Flame Boss. It says so right on the package. He let me have it for $125 (instead of $300). He said that was his cost. Now I see how big his markup is.

WOW! it is great! It is not only a reliable remote thermometer (so far) which I can use even when I am away from home but it also has a fan and controller so I can set the temp and it holds that temp within +/- 5 degrees. And I can change the temp settings on my iphone no matter where I am. It makes smoking a big butt as easy as in the electric oven, but tastes so much better. Only problem is it is taking longer than usual because it doesn't keep getting way too hot.

Boy, that was one good butt. Possibly because everyone was starving by time I took it off.

The biggest problem was that it makes smoking the butt almost boring. No need to go check it every 20 minutes.

I would post pics, but you have all seen beaucoup pics of smoked pork butt. The only worthwhile pic would have been of my smile, but I don't think any of you really want to see that either.

I think your real problem with the old one is you were using the vents the wrong way.

Back