my new bose

superdad

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
superdad
I received my new Bose headset today!! :goofy::goofy::goofy: Cant wait to try them out tomorrow. Any tips or advice?

I received my new Bose headset today!! :goofy::goofy::goofy: Cant wait to try them out tomorrow. Any tips or advice?

Put the L on your left ear. That way, the R will always be on the right ear.

Don't forget to turn them on.

I've taxied for a while and thought, "Hmm.. they're OK but not as quiet as I remembered.." and then realized they weren't on. The nice thing is that instant they click on feels like magic :)

For some reason, they get louder by the end of the flight, however.

I read somewhere the advice to wait until after your run up to activate the ANR, so as not to dampen any sounds you might otherwise pick up.

I didn't do any scientific research, but it sounded reasonable, so that's what I do. In fact I shouldn't admit this but I wait until I'm on the TO roll (early in the roll) before I turn on the ANR. It goes back to my knowing what a normal run up, mag check, and power up sounds like in my bird. YMMV.

Enjoy! Probably my most favorite headset I've used!

Have extra batteries.

THIS!...I learned the hard way when my batteries died and ANR quit on final during my last stage check with the chief flight instructor during my PPL training!

Now I keep 4 new AA batteries in my headset case!

also -- play around with the auto-off. I've had several times where I don't say anything for the 5 minutes and the ANR kicks off automatically. This can scare the crap out of you if you aren't expecting it.

Enjoy it! The Bluetooth, though controversial, is great for long XC trips and the ANR is pretty good. I personally use the LightSpeed Zulu headset, but I have used Bose before and they are quite close.

I agree about batteries. Without batteries I think the headset is not as good as some other run of the mill headsets. Could be conditioning but my batteries died on my last flight and I couldn't hear a thing the tower was telling me. Other than that, they are amazing.

Also agree as far as activating the ANR on takeoff roll or even after you are up.
First few flights I had them on the whole time. I couldn't hear my fuel pump and engine didn't sound right.

And if you have a wife that flies as a passenger with you frequently I will go ahead and let you know that you will soon have 2 pair of them.

I don't have the new ones, I have the older Series X which work pretty well. No internal batteries but I got an adapter from Sporty's powered by a 9V battery that allows it to plug in to standard headset jacks. That battery lasts quite a long time.

I don't have the new ones, I have the older Series X which work pretty well. No internal batteries but I got an adapter from Sporty's powered by a 9V battery that allows it to plug in to standard headset jacks. That battery lasts quite a long time.

I've got the X also, and I love them. I'd like to have BT, but I can't justify the extra expense.

Time to trade them in on a good head set now. Bose is way over rated, IMHO.

What would you recommend? I'm still borrowing the club's hand-me-down headsets for training and will need to buy my own before too long.

www.quiettechnologies.com is a good choice.
Lightspeed Zulu.2 is another.

Funny thing my flying buddy with the Bose A20's will frequently ask to use my .2's

I never even used the notice canceling blue tooth or anything lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read somewhere the advice to wait until after your run up to activate the ANR, so as not to dampen any sounds you might otherwise pick up.

I didn't do any scientific research, but it sounded reasonable, so that's what I do. In fact I shouldn't admit this but I wait until I'm on the TO roll (early in the roll) before I turn on the ANR. It goes back to my knowing what a normal run up, mag check, and power up sounds like in my bird. YMMV.

I actually find the opposite to be true. The ANR filters out the low frequency racket that over powers the lighter, higher frequency, noises that are typically indicative of trouble. The ANR lets the clicks and ticks come through that I may have otherwise missed. An ANR headset is a far cry from silent underneath.

What would you recommend? I'm still borrowing the club's hand-me-down headsets for training and will need to buy my own before too long.

Depends on your budget and what you like. Remember, you will eventually need more than one set if you intend to fly with passengers.

Back