My mind is permanently damaged by the FAA.

My mind was already damaged by all the drugs I did in the eighties. I doubt the FAA could top that.

Same thing, just one is blessed by the FAA with "holy paper(work)"

I have been off the site for a while, but now that I am retired thought I would throw my two cents out. The little plastic part that was lost and now a replacement part found may be used however; it must meet the design features from the manufacture (Piper) in this case. Below is the Part 21 rule the calls out configuration and design features does the knob meet this or not is the real question not that it off the shelf.

Type design is only one part of being airworthy. Type designed can be found in part 21.

Part 21 Section 21.31 Type design. The type design consists of—
(a) The drawings and specifications, and a listing of those drawings and specifications, necessary to define the configuration and the design features of the product shown to comply with the requirements of that part of this subchapter applicable to the product;

(b) Information on dimensions, materials, and processes necessary to define the structural strength of the product;

(c) The Airworthiness Limitations section of the Instructions for Continued Airworthiness as required by parts 23, 25, 26, 27, 29, 31, 33 and 35 of this subchapter, or as otherwise required by the Administrator; and as specified in the applicable airworthiness criteria for special classes of aircraft defined in §21.17(b); and

Bottom line is if an aircraft meets the Type Certificate Data Sheet and is in a proper altered condition in accordance with all the Form 337’s, then the aircraft is said to meet its type design.

What this really should be called is a minor alteration not requiring a form 337 for a non-essential part, but still requires record entry (CYA). I know some may disagree with me on this, however the part 21 rule is very clear on design features and type design.

To be considered an aircraft (airworthy part) it must of went through the same quality control process. I am not sure if Radio Shack parts went through the same quality system, if it did they would come with a FAA Form 8130-3 and cost a whole lot more. But can you install the knob? I would say yes if you call it a minor alteration and perform a record entry.

Just one man’s opinion.

Like one of the other posters, I have two airplanes I built myself. I can legally put anything I want on them. Don

Like one of the other posters, I have two airplanes I built myself. I can legally put anything I want on them. Don

On home builts you can change parts to point, but something that is a major change will require a flight test per your phase limitations and may. Then again depending on when your limitations were issued they may not say anything. Point is check your phase 2 limitations and see what they say.

By the way I grew up in the little town of Hansen, just east of Twin Falls many years ago.

I'd love to build an RV10 but I have a hard time committing to green bananas.

On home builts you can change parts to point, but something that is a major change will require a flight test per your phase limitations and may. Then again depending on when your limitations were issued they may not say anything. Point is check your phase 2 limitations and see what they say.

By the way I grew up in the little town of Hansen, just east of Twin Falls many years ago.

Small world Stache. The only thing requiring a flight test is a major change. All that takes is a call to the local FSDO and they will issue you flight test area and limitations for the 5 hour test period. Don

Small world Stache. The only thing requiring a flight test is a major change. All that takes is a call to the local FSDO and they will issue you flight test area and limitations for the 5 hour test period. Don

If you have the FSDO issue you the newest Phase 2 limitations you can do your own test flight for major alterations by yourself with out going thru the FSDO. The new limitations have more paragraghs, but will allow you to go from phase 1 and phase 2 with just a record entry by you. Before I retired I resissed several phase 2 limitations just to help guy's out. Food for thought.

I'm not going to get started on my rant about landing light bulb FAA certification making the world safe for the children, again.

There's no FAA certification of landing light bulbs...

Paul

Don't tell Nate that. He has an Uncle who's second cousin's ex-wife lives next to the janitor of a company that only manufactures aircraft light-bulbs......:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Take you landing light bulb part number to NAPA and see what the sell you.

PMA, Certification, same thing different name.

Nope none of that either.

read FAR 21.
1.9 Replacement and modification articles.

(a) If a person knows, or should know, that a replacement or modification article is reasonably likely to be installed on a type-certificated product, the person may not produce that article unless it is—

(3) A standard part (such as a nut or bolt) manufactured in compliance with a government or established industry specification;

your light bulb is a standard part built to industry standards, and is manufactured and sold under a part number.

take any of these part numbers to NAPA and you will get the same item as any aircraft supply store
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/landinglites.php

Last edited:
Back