My Long Solo XC Nightm.. uh, Adventure!

Looking back, I laugh at them, but at the time, I thought I might die. As someone else said, things happen. They're going to happen on every flight... But, as you gain experience, the way you deal with them changes, and they turn from potential catastrophes to minor(if that) annoyances:)
Yea, no ****. On my long XC, I tried to land at a closed airport located literally across a small river from my destination. I didn't notice the big X on the runway until about 3 seconds before the tower of my destination airport asked if I was landing at the closed airport. I was just below TPA and already in a turn towards the correct runway when he called. Oops.:oops:

Thanks again, everyone. Really nice to see that this story actually helped a couple people. Also, excited to announce that AOPA is interested in publishing a short version of it in one of their magazines!

My checkride is in two short weeks, so hopefully I'll have a new story to share soon :)

Thanks again, everyone. Really nice to see that this story actually helped a couple people. Also, excited to announce that AOPA is interested in publishing a short version of it in one of their magazines!

My checkride is in two short weeks, so hopefully I'll have a new story to share soon :)

Wow that's fantastic Cajun! Willya autograph my copy of AOPA mag if you get in? ;)

Best of luck on your checkride, you'll do great!

We can all say we knew you before you were famous. ;)

About fuel caps and "excess consumption."

I flew right seat on a 182 ferry not long ago. The flight was short, a bit under an hour. Apparently the cap popped off in flight (or so the PIC said). Total fuel consumption was quite normal, but the uncovered tank sucked fuel across the cross feed so that it contained more fuel at the end than when it started.
Which is why I don't fly with the fuel selector on Both. Also to control balance.

@AggieMike88 - Didn't want to keep jacking that other person's thread...

While the printed version apparently just came out in the AOPA Flight Training magazine, it doesn't look like they have it linked on their website yet. Honestly, I had to water it down a lot. Could only be 800 or so words and, in case it isn't obvious, I'm a bit long-winded of a person! haha So, it lost a lot of its soul and certainly much of its humor. But the cool thing is that I have always wanted to get paid to publish something and I did. So, I've knocked out two lifelong dreams in just one short month... earning my PPL and publishing my first article. Kinda cool! :)

I was reading the story in the magazine and I, all of a sudden stopped and said, hey, I've read this before! Nice job! Great story! And how cool is it that they put it in the mag? Awesome!

Good for you! i'll never forget my first cross country solo. Or was it my second...

Back