My long cross country for 1st solo

I was an instructor back then, and remember all the problems we had with those comparatively long XC's, particularly with weather and daylight, especially in 85-knot training planes with 24-gallon fuel tanks which turned those XC's into all-day adventures. Those problems were what drove the FAA to cut the requirements back to what they are now. Instructors whose experience doesn't include those events may feel otherwise, but those experiences are what drive my thinking on the subject.
I agree that the three 100 mile legs did turn it into an all-day affair for which you needed pretty good weather. I think it was overkill as a requirement. However, I don't think there's anything wrong if a student wants to try it and the CFI agrees.

OTOH, I think cutting the solo experience requirement from 20 to 10 and the solo XC experience requirement from 10 to 5 were really bad ideas.
We are in complete agreement about this.

I agree that the three 100 mile legs did turn it into an all-day affair for which you needed pretty good weather. I think it was overkill as a requirement. However, I don't think there's anything wrong if a student wants to try it and the CFI agrees.

Exactly -- let the CFI working with the student, familiar with the airplane and the local weather and airports make the decision

I dunno. Not a CFI, did the 50nm cross country legs. I think I flew somewhere to get the airplane fixed. Soon as I got my ticket, I was flying all over the place, even in a little 80 knot trainer.

I think the biggest plus of 100+ legs (150nm was one of my first legs for a long XC) is different because on a 50nm leg, if you climb pretty much above 5kfeet you'll spend half the trip climbing half descending. with a long leg, you can experience higher altitudes, smoother air (depending), and more importantly, different air. it's different breathing, it's different traffic, different visibility.

I think it's essential to have long legs. maybe not 150nm, but at least 100nm once before your ticket, so you can have that feeling,.

The long solo cross-country requirement was shortened from 300 miles back in the 1990s, and back even further the requirement was for 3 legs of at least 100 miles each. I remember that being a challenge in California because you are limited by the ocean to the west and the Sierras to the east. The middle leg had to be pretty long.

My long solo X/C was from Reid Hillview in San Jose- Paso Robles, Visalia, Merced(fuel stop) and back into Reid Hillview. That was a long one but I had a good time. I think doing a long trip isn't a bad thing. 460 miles according to google earth. California weather doesn't change much in the valley in august (1989).

For the original poster I don't think your trip is a bad plan except for that little detail of weather. I just made a trip from Richmond IN to Smithville OH a month back and it was a no big deal flight. Lots of VOR's on the way, good landmarks (mid Ohio Racetrack, Honda plant test track, rail yards, high lines etc). All in all pretty easy to stay on track. The problem is that the weather changes so quick especially around the lake(s). Yesterday here in east central indiana was beautiful from about 11am to 4 pm and then the clouds dropped in, it got cold, windy and snow started falling all in the space of 20 minutes. On the lake (erie) it changes even quicker especially if you're downwind. Keep an eye on the weather and be ready to go and you may be able to pull it off but don't get in a rush and have one of those get-home-itis screwups that some don't pull out of.

Frank

Last edited:
I flew my first solo XC on Saturday and had to deviate due to poor weather. Coincidentially it was the first time when I had to deal with weather of any kind. I flew for several months and never saw a cloud at my altitude before. Midwest fliers like saracelica have it good with all they varying nastiness in the air. It builds character. Here, most of the time all you need to do is go around thunderstorms.

http://zaitcev.mee.nu/flying_the_first_weather -- pictures

-- Pete

Did my long XC years ago 3 hrs one way, got in just before a big low pressure. Had to sit out 3 days for it to clear, then of course I learned what the weather will do on the back end of a LOW. Beat the hell out of me and my 150, landed 4 times for a breather at alternates. Best aviation experience ever. alternating altitudes for clouds, flight following, alternate airports, wicked winds. All the stuff we would avoid but never learn.

Oh, and it was back when GPS was a gleam in the civilians eye. Charts, pencils, plotters and computers all over the cockpit. Looked like I got ransacked.

Go For It if he signs off.

Oh Yeah, also learned alot about pour planning, leaving late and not packing enough clothes.

Last edited:
Back