My laptop won't go online

Yup, I've done EVERYTHING Mari. I have no clue on what else to do, other than doing a fresh install.
:frown3: That's about all the suggestions I have since I'm pretty computer stupid...

Hmmmm, I have another question. If I do a fresh install, what will that do to my router? The software and setup was done on my laptop. Will there be an issue? Or will I be able to connect to it with the password once I do a fresh install?

Hmmmm, I have another question. If I do a fresh install, what will that do to my router? The software and setup was done on my laptop. Will there be an issue? Or will I be able to connect to it with the password once I do a fresh install?

The router will be fine, that setup is something that happens on the router and simply uses your computer because it doesn't have its own screen and keyboard. It doesn't rely on your computer. Install away!

Last edited:
Some more ideas:

1. Have you tried manually setting the laptop's gateway and DNS server to the router's IP address?

2. In the Connection Properties, have you tried disabling IPv6, rebooting, and using IPv4? (This should work if your router assigns IPv4 addresses, as practically all consumer-grade routers do; but could cause problems if you directly connect the laptop to the Internet.)

3. Have you checked to make sure that the service "DHCP Client" is set to Automatic and is running?

4. Have you tried disabling User Account Control? (This is for diagnostic purposes, not as a permanent fix.)

5. Have you tried disabling autotuning:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

6. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network adaptor? (Make sure you have a copy of the driver saved somewhere in case you need it.)

-Rich

Media not connected and other stuff.

Are you using wireless? If so that message just means you dont' have a cable in the ethernet jack.

It would be a good idea to try a wired connection first which would eliminate the issues with WiFi security

Some more ideas:

1. Have you tried manually setting the laptop's gateway and DNS server to the router's IP address?

2. In the Connection Properties, have you tried disabling IPv6, rebooting, and using IPv4? (This should work if your router assigns IPv4 addresses, as practically all consumer-grade routers do; but could cause problems if you directly connect the laptop to the Internet.)

3. Have you checked to make sure that the service "DHCP Client" is set to Automatic and is running?

4. Have you tried disabling User Account Control? (This is for diagnostic purposes, not as a permanent fix.)

5. Have you tried disabling autotuning:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

6. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network adaptor? (Make sure you have a copy of the driver saved somewhere in case you need it.)

-Rich

I have tried 2, 4 and 5. None of those worked. I don't know how to do the others.

Are you using wireless? If so that message just means you dont' have a cable in the ethernet jack.

It would be a good idea to try a wired connection first which would eliminate the issues with WiFi security

Mike, I have already tried to do a wired connection. It does the same thing.

Hmmm... this is getting fishier. Remnants of Symantec screwing things up? Corrupted hosts file? Flaky firewall?

What are your IPCONFIG results, in their entirety?

When you run IPCONFIG on one of the computers that does connect, what is the "Default Gateway" address? Is it the same on the one that's not working?

Also, just for giggles, does anything come up when you run netstat -bv from the command line? If so, what?

Is there anything in the Event Viewer about a service failing to start?

Also, do you use this laptop anywhere else? If it's a DHCP service problem (which is certainly possible, given that none of the adapters are working), using a static IP may be a workaround, but that would give you problems when connecting elsewhere.

-Rich

There is nothing for the default gateway address, for my computer.

"active connections" pronto, local address, foreign address, state, is what i get by run netstat -bv

The IPv4 address for my sisters laptop is completely different than the one I have.

Last edited:
I think your DHCP service isn't starting. This is a not-uncommon issue for Vista SP1.

Try running from command line (as administrator):

NET START NSI
NET START TDX
NET START AFD
NET START DHCP

-Rich

Well, the above didn't work, but I did a system restore and all is good now!!

Well, the above didn't work, but I did a system restore and all is good now!!

Good ol' Symantec borked your network driver while trying to wedge into it.

They don't put a lot of effort into making uninstall of Norton work properly, since after all you should never be doing that. :mad3:

Good ol' Symantec borked your network driver while trying to wedge into it.

They don't put a lot of effort into making uninstall of Norton work properly, since after all you should never be doing that. :mad3:

Norton has been going downhill ever since Peter Norton stopped writing the code himself.

I have a client who works for Symantec. He uses Trend Micro.

'Nuff said.

-Rich

Back