My laptop won't go online

pookies

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
pookies
I had to reinstall my Symantec antivirus cause it wouldn't update itself. When I rebooted, it won't go online. It just says "identifying". I tried all the normal troubleshooting. I also ran a virus and spyware check to see if that might be it. It's not my internet, cause my sisters laptop works fine. What is going on. I'm lost with out the internet!!! :( HELP!!

P.S. I also tried to hook it up manually and it did the same thing.

Last edited:
Do you know your router ip address?

You might have to reset your allowable ip address range on your firewall if your version of symantec includes one.

I uninstalled symatec. It was not working right and it was just ****ing me off!! I think the IP thing you suggested is one of the troubleshoots on vista.

In my earlier days of using Symantec, allowing the IP address for the router was the exact problem.

Thanks to wonderful advice on the POA board I have liberated all my computers of Symantec/Norton and gone with Avast (www.avast.com) and am MUCH happier. Free, no nonsense, stays out of my face, gets the job done. Its hard to dump a service you have paid for but I would do it in a heartbeat if it arose again. Even if they shipped a new puter with Norton in it I would uninstall and get Avast.

Thanks Dave, I will try that.

I have no antivirus software on my computer right now and it still won't let me get online.

Try the simplest thing first. Do a system restore back to a point prior to the Symantec install and see if that may fix your problem.
I know it is my standard suggestion, but for me, it works about 80% of the time when I am not sure what some program changed.

Mark B

This may seem like a stupid suggestion, but if you are trying to connect to a cable network provider, try turning off/unplugging the router/modem for about 10 minutes, turn off the computer too. Turn the modem on first, let all the pretty lights come on, then turn the computer on. Doesn't make sense to me, but I've had problems connecting to my comcast connection, and that is what their 'CS' suggested. Actually worked for me.

Even more fundamentally, if you are using wireless, make sure the radio is turned on. Usually there's a slider switch somewhere alone the edge of the laptop and/or a function key combination. I can't tell you how many wireless connectivity problems I've dealt with (usually over the phone) that were simply a matter of turning the radio on.

Also, Symantec products do a notoriously bad job of cleaning up after themselves when they are uninstalled. After uninstalling anything made by Symantec (and rebooting) I always run CCleaner, including the registry cleaner tool, and then reboot again. It usually finds a whole lot of other junk, too; and the registry cleaning function is one of the better ones I've come across.

If that doesn't work, you can always try resetting TCP/IP and Winsock. On the command line, as an administrator, type:

netsh int ip reset reset.txt
netsh winsock reset

and then reboot.

-Rich

The earliest restore point I have on my computer is AFTER I reinstalled Symantec. I've done the modem reboot. It's not that since I am on my sisters laptop using the same modem. I think I will try the CC cleaner Rich suggested. Wish me luck!!

make sure you do or do not have a valid connection ... in dos window ... sorry, Windows, Start, Run, command (or however you want to get to the C:\ prompt, and enter ifconfig

see if it shows you have an IP address assigned.

If so, enter ping someplace, like c:/ping dns.net - look for a good reply.

Do you have a good physical network connection?

Wireless or wired connection?

make sure you do or do not have a valid connection ... in dos window ... sorry, Windows, Start, Run, command (or however you want to get to the C:\ prompt, and enter ifconfig

I think you mean ipconfig.

I get Linux and Windows commands mixed up all the time too. :D

I think you mean ipconfig.

I get Linux and Windows commands mixed up all the time too. :D

and here I was patting myself on the back for correcting c:/ to c:\ ... :smilewinkgrin:

ha! and then I reviewed what I wrote and I corrected the first but hosed the second ... c:/ping ...

CRIES!!!!!

No luck. Sorry Rich, but those suggestions didn't work. Still only getting the "identifying" and "local only".

I have done everything.

The modem and router are fine. I've done a reboot on both of those.
I have even tried it manually with the ethernet chord, and still get the "local only"
I have reset my IP address and wireless LAN and regular LAN.
Completely uninstalled all virus software.
Done all 3 things Rich suggested.

Any more??

see if it shows you have an IP address assigned.

If so, enter ping someplace, like c:/ping dns.net - look for a good reply.

Do you have a good physical network connection?

Wireless or wired connection?

"Ping request could not find host dns.net"

Yes, I have a good connection I am on it right now on another laptop.

Does your cable modem allow multiple computers to connect? You say that your sister's laptop can connect. Do you have a home network or do you connect the laptop directly to the cable modem?

It allows multiple users. Both out laptops can hook up to the internet at the same time.

"Ping request could not find host dns.net"

Yes, I have a good connection I am on it right now on another laptop.
no, not necessarily. The "other computer" has a good connection, but one doesn't. By good connection, I mean from the laptop, network card (wired or wireless) to the router/hub/switch/modem - whatever you have and then out of the house...

starting at the laptop, ipconfig shows what your laptop thinks it has. It has to have an IP address. Then ping your router/hub/switch/modem ... or - if wireless, check out your network control panel or wireless configuration in the system tray. If wired, check for a green or orange status light on the network connection on the laptop. Troubleshooting is a logical stepwise process, not shotgunning software removal/installation ... but - the FIRST step is to wind your watch - then, undo whatever you just did before it failed! :smilewinkgrin:

It is showing I am connected with a GOOD connection, but "local only".

I just scrolled back to the top and see that you're running Vista - I have no knowledge of Vista so probably can't help point you to the correct tools within that version. But, if you have the equivalent of Start, Settings, Network Connections, is that where you're seeing "Local only"?

Last edited:
in the command prompt (the same place you ran ipconfig) enter

ipconfig -release

and then

ipconfig -renew

I just scrolled back to the top and see that you're running Vista - I have no knowledge of Vista so probably can't help point you to the correct tools within that version. But, if you have the equivalent of Start, Settings, Network Connections, is that were you're seeing "Local only"?

All I have to do to see local only, is to go to my toolbar and put the cursor on the lil tvs and it will say "local only"

in the command prompt (the same place you ran ipconfig) enter

ipconfig -release

and then

ipconfig -renew

An erroe has occured while renewing interface wireless network connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out. No operation can be performed on local area connection while it has media disconnected.

does Vista have Start, Settings, Network Connections?

just found this on a google search - Note - I'm NOT a PC support technician, so this is NOT my recommendation - follow these steps at your own risk -
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Click "Start"

Type "cmd" in the search box press "ctrl" + "shift" + "enter"

at the DOS Prompt type "netsh winsock reset" and hit enter

once completed after 30 seconds or so my "red X" on the internet connection was gone, I once again had Local and Internet Connection

I found the solution at

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...ndows-vista-tcpip-winsock-catalog-corruption/

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I have already done that. It was Rich's suggestion several posts back. Didn't work.

No. I does not. It has "network".
I have Vista and when I click "Network" I see the computers on my network as well as an icon labeled "Residential Gateway Device". When I double click on the icon I can see that it is my router. Do you see this?

Nope, sorry Mari.

I am just going to do a fresh install for my laptop. Only problem is I don't know were my router driver disk is. :(

How about if you right click on the little TVs. Have you experimented with any of those options like "diagnose and repair"?

Yup, I've done EVERYTHING Mari. I have no clue on what else to do, other than doing a fresh install.

warning thread drift....

Is there any way to remotely access another's computer ie "take it over" in order to investigate such problems. Seems like we used that once in order to have a tech work on our computer here - but maybe that was some proprietary software. That way, D could have a trusted person look things over in the hopes of finding a solution. Often my dad will have a problem in Canada and it is agonizing trying to figure out what he is seeing and what needs to be done. (In D's case of course, you'd have to gain access through a link between her sister's computer and the internet.)

Last edited:
They do have software for that, but you need an online connection in order to do that. :(

Back