My laptop quit recognizing my droid phone...

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
...any ideas?

Dell Vostro running Win 7

Motorola Droid Turbo running 5.1

Of a sudden I can't see the phone when tethered to the laptop via USB. It charges, but won't communicate. I have three USB cables with me...all are sync capable...none work...all used to work.

I've tried numerous ports on the laptop...I tried cleaning the port on the phone with air.

I've rebooted both machines multiple times, checked both to see what setting I might have accidentally changed. Haven't been able to find anything.

Any ideas what I might have accidentally turned off?

(basically the only thing I ever do it upload photos from my phone to laptop, for now I'm just emailing them to myself)

...any ideas?

Dell Vostro running Win 7

Motorola Droid Turbo running 5.1

Of a sudden I can't see the phone when tethered to the laptop via USB. It charges, but won't communicate. I have three USB cables with me...all are sync capable...none work...all used to work.

I've tried numerous ports on the laptop...I tried cleaning the port on the phone with air.

I've rebooted both machines multiple times, checked both to see what setting I might have accidentally changed. Haven't been able to find anything.

Any ideas what I might have accidentally turned off?

(basically the only thing I ever do it upload photos from my phone to laptop, for now I'm just emailing them to myself)
When you hook the phone up there should be a pop up in the notification bar. If you click on that it should give you the option for mass storage or charge only. Click mass storage.
If that doesn't work try going Into settings and seeing if there is a storage option. It should give you the option for usb connection.

When you hook the phone up there should be a pop up in the notification bar. If you click on that it should give you the option for mass storage or charge only. Click mass storage.
If that doesn't work try going Into settings and seeing if there is a storage option. It should give you the option for usb connection.
If that fails, uninstall the drivers for the phone and try to plug the phone in and let it reinstall the drivers.

Uninstall the Win7 USB drivers from the laptop and reboot, let Windows reinstall them and then try again.

I have to do that a few times a year for th computer to identify external use hard drives.

Sounds like a registry key is messed up in Win7

Or one other solution, create a separate user on the laptop, log into that user and try connecting the phone

As a quick Google search will show, this is a very common connectivity problem, especially with Samsung S5s (which I own).

It's not just a Windoze thing, either. It extends to other USB connections as well. For example, Tango Whiskey turned me on to an awesome $15 USB borescope that works stupendously when connected to a laptop, and not at all when connected via USB to my S5.

Despite many hours of troubleshooting, the Droid simply will not recognize the USB data connection. If you poke around on line, this applies to many USB cameras.

I have been unable to resolve this issue. To my knowledge, no one has come up with a reliable work-around. If you find a solution, let us know.

I had someone locally tell me that my driver may have gotten corrupted and I need to reinstall it...and two of you guys too...

I'll try that.

Thanks for helping the technotard!

I'll let you know if that doesn't work.

Back