My Kingdom for a VOT near KSLC

ruthsindelar

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ruth
OK, there has to be an easy way to search for VOT locations to check my VORs. I've been using the two VORs to check against each other but I also like to do VOT checks.

Short of looking at each airport in the AFD, does anyone know of an airport near me where I could one a VOT test? There has to be a website for this. Maybe www.toolazytolook.com? :smile:

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

http://www.globalair.com/airport/apt.navaids.aspx?aptcode=slc

Seems like there is a VOT there. Possibly at Kilo and Kilo-3 ? I don't see a surface identifier like we have here at KPNE on the taxiway in the google view.

Call the local flight school and ask a CFII, they can tell you the best local one to use.

Or, based on similar responses in my VOR Check thread a few weeks ago,... read the AFD.

OK, there has to be an easy way to search for VOT locations to check my VORs. I've been using the two VORs to check against each other but I also like to do VOT checks.

Short of looking at each airport in the AFD, does anyone know of an airport near me where I could one a VOT test? There has to be a website for this. Maybe www.toolazytolook.com? :smile:

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

There's a VOT at KSLC, the frequency is 111.0. See page 393 in the A/FD.

Use of a VOT does not require being at a specific location on the airport, you're thinking of a VOR checkpoint. See AIM para 1-1-4.

You are absolutely correct....I was thinking of a VOR checkpoint.

Thanks everyone. For others, the VOT & VOR checkpoints are in the back of the AFD. In the Southwest book case, Utah's VOTs/VOR checkpoints are on page 393 as noted earlier in this post.

For some reason, I thought they were listed on the page with the airport. I was wrong.

This forum is great. Thank you everyone!

You are absolutely correct....I was thinking of a VOR checkpoint.

I had the same confusion. At KBPT, where I hangar my baby, they have a "checkpoint" that is in the run-up area for RWY 12. The day I wanted to use it, the taxiways to it were shut down along with the RWY, but TWR let me back taxi to do my checks. KSAT has a VOT, which is a special VOR transmitter specifically for testing. One would think there would be a webpage at faa.gov listing all this in one, searchable place!

This is a great list, indeed!

I noticed this thread today. I was casting about for a listing myself when I happened to pick up the AF/D. On the back cover is the list of sections in the book with arrows that line up with little black marks on the ends of the pages. One of those sections is called "VOR Check". That section lists all of the VOT's and VOR check points, ground locations or air locations in the region, organized by state and airports. I guess I had forgotten about that listing - another forehead slapping moment for me. Duh. :idea:

Back