My Journey to PPL and beyond?

Dale99

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dale
Going to start a continuous thread about my journey to ask questions so I'm not always starting new post. As well I can mark dates for different things.

I am going to go every other saturday for right now. Part due to finances, part due to other things going on in my life. I am also not a quick learner, so this gives me time in-between to read, re-read, research, and read up on the next lesson.

I am taking classes at what they call is one of the largest FBO's, and I think one of the oldest. Not that, that makes them the best at training, but nice to know its not some rinky dink place. So far my CFI seems fairly cool, hes just pushing for me to come more than every other week.

Discovery flight was 3-8-2014

First ground lesson was 3-22-2014, 1.5hrs(ground) went over a few basics, got some books. Since I couldnt control the toe-rudder-brakes on the discovery flight I ask to go back out and sit in the plane on the ground and try them. I think I have that figured out. I go see an AME tomm... I just pray nothing gets poked in me. Last time I saw a doctor, I got stuck with a q-tip in places it should have never been :yikes:

Last edited:
Dale,

some friendly advice from a current student learning right now...

Do not take that much time off between lessons, you will forget a lot more and in turn will cost you a lot more money. I have 8.10 hours right now. I was flying every saturday until the days got longer and now I am flying every thursday and saturday. Our aircraft(C172N) has been in the shop for its 100 hour checkup for two weeks. I was practicing landings and take-offs and had my landings better and better each lesson. I am very afraid I have forgotten all of that now that its been two weeks.

make time, plan for it and go at least 2 to 3 times a week if you can. It will save you money in the long run, speed up the process of learning. Especially if you are a slow learner, you will learn even more slowly if you dont go often enough.

good luck and happy flying!

Welcome to the forum,you are off to a good start. I would try to fly twice a week as a minimum,will save you money in the long run.

Hi Dale, in terms of ground school, I highly recommend King's School or Sporty's online course. They cost about the same as what your FBO will charge you, except you get to go back and study the sections you want at a later time. I like the King's School's better than Sporty's, but John and Martha King are quite corny; perhaps that's the reason I remembered everything...lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try to take lessons every Saturday if the funds allow it.

When I did my PPL training I was going every other Saturday when weather permitted due to finances.

It took me 11 months, 4 flight instructors and 72 hours to get my PPL.
All the flight instructors were young and kept leaving the school. Finally the School owner did all my check ride prep. He told me "lets get you through this and don't worry about money, I want you to succeed" That was awesome of him.

I'd agree with what was said above. Get the flight training in as short a period of time as you can financially. Those breaks really do hurt you in the long run. At one point due to aicraft maintenance, weather, and my own travel plans, I was out of the air for a month. First thing my instructor says was basically "you're almost ready for your solo but since it's been a while I'm going to go up with you a couple more times before I sign off."

Don't discount the effects of weather on your flying schedule either. What is considered a nice day for driving/spending time outside does not mean that it will be a good day for flying.

Thanks everyone. There is no way I can do twice a week, period!! Not enough time, or money. Maybe near the end of the summer I could switch to weekly, but not right now. I told him I possibly could later.

David, that is very nice of him. My instructor is fairly young as well, hopefully he doesnt leave. He's been their about a year it appears.

Glad you're getting going but do keep in mind that in the long run, it will cost you more(significantly more) if you're doing a lesson every other week. You may be better off to stop lessons and save your money all summer, then re-start.

Agree with everyone here to try to fly more if you can financially. Get your medical out of the way, Get the written test out of the way, Take notes when your CFI does de briefing on the gound

Thanks everyone. There is no way I can do twice a week, period!! Not enough time, or money. Maybe near the end of the summer I could switch to weekly, but not right now. I told him I possibly could later.

You might want to consider holding off on flying until that time then...you can get your written out of the way while you are waiting

I'd suggest you download the 70-page .pdf at www.FreeFlyBook.com. It spells out just about everything you need to know about earning your wings. Plus, it's a primer on basic aeronautical knowledge. The download is free and you don't have to register or supply any email address. Enjoy.

I'd suggest you download the 70-page .pdf at www.FreeFlyBook.com. It spells out just about everything you need to know about earning your wings. Plus, it's a primer on basic aeronautical knowledge. The download is free and you don't have to register or supply any email address. Enjoy.

I agree, this is great info!

Dale,

This is coming from someone who started out doing "every other week", stopped, then restarted flying 2x/week:

Go At Least Twice a Week!!!

If you go every other week, expect to spend 75% of your time just relearning the previous lesson. Frustration will ensue.

If you do not have the money available on hand, save up and start when you do have the time/money available. You will save money in the long run & be much more proficient once you do earn your PPL.

David, that is very nice of him. My instructor is fairly young as well, hopefully he doesnt leave. He's been their about a year it appears.

I couldn't fly twice a week either. It's up to you whether you want to learn to fly despite that limitation. It may be true that it takes you longer, but there's nothing wrong with deciding that you want to do it anyway.

If you decide to do it anyway, spend your off time keeping your head in the game. That means taking in all things aviation. I spent most of my free time doing something aviation-related; anything from listening to LiveATC to reading the forums here, to visiting airfields, and everything in between, including lots of reading and studying.

In addition to the above, search this forum (keywords: "bombing into") about only going to the AME for your medical only once you are 100% certain you can pass. Don't jeopardize future flying privileges (including Sport Pilot) by having the AME find something in your current or past medical history that the FAA prohibits.

And look for previous posts on how to fill out the MedXpress System and work with the AME so that the visit remains a "consultative" visit until he says you pass 100%.

And if you cannot fly twice a week right now, delay the flying until you have the money saved up where you can fly twice a week. As others have said, you will save significant money in the long run. You've waited this one, so a few more months won't make that big of a difference.

I cant do twice a week, buy the time Im off work, eat, and get to the airport, it would be about 30min to dark. I also think thats the time my instructor says he calls it a day.

I am reading every night, I keep looking up things on the internet, and I listen to the scanner while I'm driving around listening to tower talk.

I filled out my mexpress yesterday. I dont think I will have anything that would remove me from flying except my hearing. But it said 6ft in quiet room and normal talk. I can do that.

As far as waiting to fly, not really. I decided this, this year. I am tired of doing the same ol thing in my life, and my current career field is dwindling. So I'm possibly killing 2 things with one stone.

I cant do twice a week, buy the time Im off work, eat, and get to the airport, it would be about 30min to dark. I also think thats the time my instructor says he calls it a day.

I am reading every night, I keep looking up things on the internet, and I listen to the scanner while I'm driving around listening to tower talk.

I filled out my mexpress yesterday. I dont think I will have anything that would remove me from flying except my hearing. But it said 6ft in quiet room and normal talk. I can do that.

As far as waiting to fly, not really. I decided this, this year. I am tired of doing the same ol thing in my life, and my current career field is dwindling. So I'm possibly killing 2 things with one stone.

If you have a plan, then stick with it. let nothing get in your way, be positive! Do what you can with what you have, once you get in...you will be stuck! I am so hooked, I think about flying 24/7...I dream about it...

ok, so its been a while since I posted.

I was to take a in flight class on 4-5-2014, but doing the pre-inspection we found a gauge not working properly. So we grounded the plane. However, I get some education on pre-flight inspection, also did some taxi work and trying to figure out the rudder/brake peddles. Went in and did some ground work on weight balances (cg).

Class for 4-19-2014 was cancelled at 4 or 5am buy the instructor.

Makeup was 4-26-2014. I did a takeoff, a touch n go, and then a full stop land. Practiced making turns. at 10/20/30/45 and roll outs.

Back