My journey to a 3rd class medical (neuropsychological evaluation)

Chris Charanza

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
So I received a copy of my FAA neuropsychological evaluation that I completed back in April and it appears that I should be good to go on that front. In the interest of not boring everyone with the scoring data I have attached the conclusion by the pyschologist and fingers crossed the FAA will accept the report and I'll be good to go. I can't see why they wouldn't. All that's left to do now is get my 30 days of CPAP data for the sleep apnea and my packet will be ready to send to OKC so I can get on with my life. I honestly feel like the neuropsychological assessment is the biggest hurdle I've been facing through this whole process so now that I've seen it I'm very cautiously optimistic that it's just a matter of time before I finally get a medical certificate and can start flying again on my way to my PPL.

And yes, for the record, the assessment was done by a known to the FAA neuropsychologist.

Attachments

• Nueropsychological.jpg
    Nueropsychological.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
I hope that you get issued. However, I had two different HIMS psych docs recommend issuance and the FAA asked me to go through more hurdles.

I hope that you get issued. However, I had two different HIMS psych docs recommend issuance and the FAA asked me to go through more hurdles.

As with all things government I realize nothing is a sure thing. I'm only going by the paperwork they've sent me and I'm checking the boxes off one at a time. I've read the report and re-read the report over and over again and hopefully it's enough. If it's not then well I'll cross that bridge when I get to it but hopefully it won't come to that (fingers crossed). On the CogScreen AE section it says my LRPV is in the 82nd percentile which it says is within the acceptable range for pilots. The neuropsychologist I went to administered the CogScreen on the computer but also administered a bunch of other tests of paper. I still don't know why because apparently that isn't required but I Guess he likes to have stuff from multiple angles..who knows. I didn't take the actual CogScreen-AE until the afternoon part of my appointment.

I am curious when you say two different HIMS psych docs are you referring to actual Neuropsychologist that are on the FAA list or did you go to two different psychiatrist? I paid $2200 bucks and went to a FAA known neuropsyhologist who is trained in the very specific testing they required for the previous ADHD diagnosis. The only thing I could see being the next hiccup is for them to make me see an actual psychiatrist for the previous Anxiety disorder diagnosis however nothing they've sent me from my previous denial or my current application is indicative of that. On the denial from 2013 they lumped the Anxiety Disorder with the ADHD and specified i Had to go to the neuropsychologist which maybe is why he addressed it in his report but who knows. Either way unless they flat out tell me it's not going to happen I'm going to get through the process.

On a side note my HIMS AME isn't sending anything until I have everything they asked for. The sleep study report, the 30 days of CPAP Data (although it looks like they might accept two weeks worth) the clinical progress notes from my doctor, the neuropsycholoist CogScreen report ..everything will be being sent at one time with everything they've asked for being accounted for and hopefully the next correspondence i get from the FAA will be a Medical Certificate.

Unfortunately for me I have had to go through ALL of it. Private psychiatrist. FAA HIMS psychiatrist and psychologist. Cogscreen, the battery of tests, drug testing, cpap data throughout it all. The whole 9 yards. At it for the past 7 years. I did poorly on the 1st Cogscreen but did better and in the acceptable range the 2nd time around. I have had two FAA psychiatrist recommend issuance but it went nowhere. It feels like they are trying to find something or anything so then I can jump through more hoops. I literally had everything that was asked for after going through a whole bunch of tests etc. Submitted it in Oct and 6 months later they responded and have asked for another psychiatric evaluation and given me 30 days. It's near impossible to get an appointment and have the report in 30 days. I had to ask for extension twice. I am now waiting to get the psychiatrist report back in the next 2 weeks and submit it. I'm hoping and praying that I get the SI but I am losing faith that I will ever get it. It's been a long 7 years.

Unfortunately for me I have had to go through ALL of it. Private psychiatrist. FAA HIMS psychiatrist and psychologist. Cogscreen, the battery of tests, drug testing, cpap data throughout it all. The whole 9 yards. At it for the past 7 years. I did poorly on the 1st Cogscreen but did better and in the acceptable range the 2nd time around. I have had two FAA psychiatrist recommend issuance but it went nowhere. It feels like they are trying to find something or anything so then I can jump through more hoops. I literally had everything that was asked for after going through a whole bunch of tests etc. Submitted it in Oct and 6 months later they responded and have asked for another psychiatric evaluation and given me 30 days. It's near impossible to get an appointment and have the report in 30 days. I had to ask for extension twice. I am now waiting to get the psychiatrist report back in the next 2 weeks and submit it. I'm hoping and praying that I get the SI but I am losing faith that I will ever get it. It's been a long 7 years.

Wow! Well hopefully for me it won't get that involved. Sometimes I wonder if they just aren't looking for stuff. I suppose i'll find out in a few months. I'm really hoping to have this taken care of by the fall.

Just want to say I appreciate folks posting their experiences on here. Allowed me to read up and decide to go sport pilot for now. When I’ve been flying for a while and decide I need more, I can go into it with eyes open.

Is “ in remission“ the PC way of saying you never had that nonsense, like most people diagnosed with it?

Is “ in remission“ the PC way of saying you never had that nonsense, like most people diagnosed with it?

That's what it means to me. I can't imagine I have it now or ever had it then. I literally was put on adderall after going to my doctor and complaining that i was having trouble concentrating at a job I was at which I hated. In the end I'm the one who went to the doctor with the complaint and he just offered me an easy solution. I'm just hoping that the evaluation and it's results will satisfy the FAA.

That's what it means to me. I can't imagine I have it now or ever had it then. I literally was put on adderall after going to my doctor and complaining that i was having trouble concentrating at a job I was at which I hated. In the end I'm the one who went to the doctor with the complaint and he just offered me an easy solution. I'm just hoping that the evaluation and it's results will satisfy the FAA.

I’d leave some feedback on the doctor review sites and google, might help others avoid that pill pusher and the troubles he caused you.

Was wondering what you all do , job wise while waiting for the FAA? any degree involve here?Thanks

Hey Chris, thanks for sharing….I'm just now entering into the “process”….

My history is I got my PPL and IR in 1991/1992, bought a C172 with some friends, but then work and family and finances made me have to “take the money and run” when one of our partners offered to buy us out in late ‘93. I had logged about 225 hours over that time frame. Giving it up was tough but with two baby girls and a demanding job I couldn’t see how I could stay safe and proficient.

Fast forward to 2021, and with my “time and money” problems solved I decided to get back into flying.

But now at 55 yrs old and good health, the obstacle isn’t time and money, its the Adderall scrip my family doc had casually offered me after I jokingly replied to a question he asked me about work. He asked me how work was going and I replied that my ADD was an asset with all the different responsibilities getting thrown at me. He said “oh do you have ADD?”. I said…”I dunno but we joke about it at work”….he says “why don’t you try some Adderall and see how it goes”. Like a dummy I said , “uh sure”…and started taking it 5 days/week for the last 10 years.

So I’ve been working with a local flight school, flying 172s and a DA40 NG (G1000…wow) and have logged 22 hours since Jan. I learned before I started back up that Adderall was a no-no so I quit taking it in Dec. All good. I just drink an extra cup of coffee LOL

My CFII has already said he’d sign of on my BFR, the flying skills came back quick. New airspaces, more formal radio comms were easy to get up to speed with.

Went in for my 3rd class med today, and thanks to Chris and others I knew exactly what I was walking into.

Everything went well and then at the end I said….”uh Doc, I have something I need to disclose”….

So now I’m officially DEFERRED and the waiting game starts.

In the meantime, I’m going to keep flying with my CFII and work on instrument proficiency/recurrency. Stay tuned.

Hey Chris, thanks for sharing….I'm just now entering into the “process”….

My history is I got my PPL and IR in 1991/1992, bought a C172 with some friends, but then work and family and finances made me have to “take the money and run” when one of our partners offered to buy us out in late ‘93. I had logged about 225 hours over that time frame. Giving it up was tough but with two baby girls and a demanding job I couldn’t see how I could stay safe and proficient.

Fast forward to 2021, and with my “time and money” problems solved I decided to get back into flying.

But now at 55 yrs old and good health, the obstacle isn’t time and money, its the Adderall scrip my family doc had casually offered me after I jokingly replied to a question he asked me about work. He asked me how work was going and I replied that my ADD was an asset with all the different responsibilities getting thrown at me. He said “oh do you have ADD?”. I said…”I dunno but we joke about it at work”….he says “why don’t you try some Adderall and see how it goes”. Like a dummy I said , “uh sure”…and started taking it 5 days/week for the last 10 years.

So I’ve been working with a local flight school, flying 172s and a DA40 NG (G1000…wow) and have logged 22 hours since Jan. I learned before I started back up that Adderall was a no-no so I quit taking it in Dec. All good. I just drink an extra cup of coffee LOL

My CFII has already said he’d sign of on my BFR, the flying skills came back quick. New airspaces, more formal radio comms were easy to get up to speed with.

Went in for my 3rd class med today, and thanks to Chris and others I knew exactly what I was walking into.

Everything went well and then at the end I said….”uh Doc, I have something I need to disclose”….

So now I’m officially DEFERRED and the waiting game starts.

In the meantime, I’m going to keep flying with my CFII and work on instrument proficiency/recurrency. Stay tuned.

Well based on my experience you might possibly get an initial denial with the option to take the process further. A few months later you'll get the ADHD information sheet and then you'll need to contact a neuropsychologist that is known to the FAA. You can find the list on their website. I live in Waco, TX and there are I think 5 in the state. I chose one down in Houston. I had to schedule the appointment which was about a 2 month wait just to get to the appointment. You have to be off the medication for a minimum of 90 days so you're good to go there. Like you when i quit taking the medication I really couldn't even tell the difference in my day to day life. I was pretty tired the 1st week as the stuff left my system but after that I didn't notice any difference at all. Once you've made your appointment I'd just grab a hotel in the city you're going to take the assessment in then go down the day before and get a good nights sleep. The testing itself isn't really that complicated. It just is time consuming and the stuff they have you do isn't really hard but it is quite boring. I think now-a-day you can do the CogScreen on its own and if you score well enough you won't even half to do the 2nd half. For some reason or another the neuropsychologist I went to did a bunch of on paper testing in the morning and did the cogscreen after lunch. I finished my day with the MMPI and then i was off to quest diagnostics to take my drug screen and that was that. Now that my results are in and I'm in the 82nd percentile of the CogScreen I guess I'm going to be ok. The Neuropsychologist explained it that I can't really take the diagnosis off my record but I likely never had it to begin with and the testing proved that out so we'll see i reckon. I'm debating on whether I want to go ahead and start logging some hours again or just wait until I actually have my medical certificate in hand. I had some other things I had to take care of as well but i can't imagine there being anything else but with the FAA (federal government in general) you just never know.

Thanks. Super helpful. Looks like I have roughly 9 mos if things go well….

looks like we both got very casually prescribed. I remember being shocked he didn’t want me to take any tests or anything. It all happened in like 2 min. Literally.

Thanks. Super helpful. Looks like I have roughly 9 mos if things go well….

Once you get going it is what it is. I am really hoping I'm entering the home stretch but we'll see I suppose. I reengaged with my HIMS AME in March but I had my cogscreen scheduled before I even had that appointment. With the way things are half the time you spend waiting for the appointment and the other half you spend just waiting for the FAA to get to your paperwork.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back