My journey - the soap opera continues

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
My CFII has been a busy guy because he is a great instructor. He needed to sign me off for my ride and rearranged his schedule so he would be back in the Chicago area from teaching someone in Phoenix so we could fly yesterday. Guess what? He was stuck in Phoenix due to the jerk that shut down chicago center. I was about to bring Ron Levy in, but didn't as my CFII reatranged his schedule. As it turned out, Ron wouldn't have been able to get into Chicago anyways due to flight cancellations. Given the mess in Chicago, when I went flying yesterday, we were unable to get ATC assistance in certain aspects of out flight. Just shaking my head. The flying went fine, and another CFII who I've never flown with says I'm ready, but can't believe my bad luck. For my original ride, it was air venture week, the accident at OSH and release of traffic just when my ride started. Couldn't get any ATC assistance, got flustered and blew my hold. Didn't have a chance to get to the ILS. Now the fire at chicago center 3 days before my notice expires. This whole rating has been a mess. It's enough to drive someone crazy. Oh, did I tell you that the ILS at my home airport is down and my favorite runway is closed a lot due to construction? This too shall pass.

Last edited:
You may get some relief in the scheduling from the FAA due to chicago shutdown. Give them a call on Monday, explain the situation, and ask for an extension.

ILS? Who needs an ILS... Impress the examiner with an NBD or a VOR DME ARC approach!! Sorry to hear the continuing bad luck :mad2:

Whatever can go wrong will go wrong,hang in there,you'll get it

ILS? Who needs an ILS... Impress the examiner with an NBD or a VOR DME ARC approach!! Sorry to hear the continuing bad luck :mad2:

:lol:, but you have to do at least one precision approach.

ditto about the bad luck. I know you're up to your eyeballs in frustration right now.

So three things, overall, have affected you.

A. The Chicago ATC issue.

Okay, that blows and is bad luck. Whatever, work around it.

B. Air venture releases and ATC is too busy to work training flights.

Yup, that happens. But it's not like you didn't know it was happening. Also, it's no excuse for blowing holds. Take responsibility for your actions.

C. The ILS is down on your 'favorite' runway.

Umm, yeah...whatever.

My advise is to cowboy up. Your list of complaints is pretty short on anything close to mattering.

Man bad luck! I think I remember saying you had the opportunity to take the ride at 8 am a few weeks (or months?) but you chose not to. Just curious, why didn't you take the ride then?

Actually it was 7am that I chose not too. Not a morning person. Decided to take a break, and just work on the sim.

Hope things work out and you can knock out the check ride soon. Met a local pilot who completed all the training except the checkride then gave up.

Back