My job...

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
My Business Law class got out early today and my Intro to Ethics class was canceled tonight, so to take advantage of my excess free time I decided to screw around with making a video. ha.

Here is a clip from my 2006 TerraGator 6103 spreading fertilizer on snow covered fields a few weeks ago. Basically, it captures all aspects of what my day consists of - 1.) Drive to field. 2.) Spread fertilizer. 3.) Drive to next field. 4.) Repeat. The only thing missing is loading the machine (it was too cold to stand outside with the camera to video that part).

I'll try to get a better video once the snow is gone - if it EVER leaves - to get a better feel for actually moving across the field. I might even be able to put together a 'spraying' video this spring -- I know everyone is just full of anticipation.

The music was chosen for two reasons: 1.) It was the only thing I had that was close to the ~2mins of video that I had. 2.) I find myself humming the song during the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3IkXHo52Kk

Very cool video!
It's neat seeing the variety of things that people on here do.

Great choice... Tom T. Hall is one of the greatest story tellers in country music of all time. :)

Here is a clip from my 2006 TerraGator 6103 spreading fertilizer on snow covered fields a few weeks ago. Basically, it captures all aspects of what my day consists of - 1.) Drive to field. 2.) Spread fertilizer. 3.) Drive to next field. 4.) Repeat. The only thing missing is loading the machine (it was too cold to stand outside with the camera to video that part).

I like where you mount the light bar for the Satloc. Well, you ready to do it at 130kts? Probably more comfortable in the Terra Gator.

Interesting, Chris.

That thing is fast!

What's the little indicator thing outside (the hood ornament :rofl:)?

I like where you mount the light bar for the Satloc. Well, you ready to do it at 130kts? Probably more comfortable in the Terra Gator.

Actually, within the past couple of years, we've switched from Satloc to Raven light bars. More 'user friendly' b/c the industry has such a high turnover rate (which I am proof of :)). The Satloc's definitely have more overall ability, but with the Raven, you can go from "Duhhh" to plotting A-B lines by pressing 2 buttons.

I'd LOVE to do this at 130kts. There's a chance that this summer I'll go work ground crew for the cropduster I worked for a couple of years ago. I guess they're looking for an Ag Wagon, etc. so his son (my age) can get started in it. Maybe I can ease in on some stick time. ;)

Interesting, Chris.

That thing is fast!

What's the little indicator thing outside (the hood ornament :rofl:)?

Actually, top speed in that machine is a whopping 38mph. It does look faster in the video, though. Probably just perspective. Maybe I had it zoomed in too much. When we're spreading, we usually run ~20-22mph - slower in bumpy fields, of course).

The "hood ornament" is a Raven RGL-600 light bar. When I start a field - usually along a fence row or straight area - I set an 'A' and 'B' point at each end of the first pass. From that point on, the lightbar guides me so that I stay 70ft (or whatever size swath we're using) from my last pass. It's all via GPS guidance. It's like shooting a LOC approach at 20mph to 1' accuracy all day long. :D

We're getting a few new machines this spring that have "auto steer" which will - as the name implies - 'auto-steer' the machine via the lightbar. Not sure what I'll do then. Maybe I'll get a portable DVD player so I'll have something to do all day. ha

Nice video.
After working on open tractors in winters for years (is it wrong to hate something?) I thought we had it made with a new semi enclosed, semi-heated system on a Ford 5000.

That was fun to watch! Can you bring it to Gaston's and give rides! :goofy: :

Ut oh, now I can't get that song out of my head, either!

That was fun to watch! Can you bring it to Gaston's and give rides! :goofy: :

Ut oh, now I can't get that song out of my head, either!

You bet! It's just a 14 hr drive one way. ;) We could see how much stuff we can "big-foot" as we call it.

There's a long standing 'bet' at work that if someone gets fired for unreasonable circumstances, that person has to go to the main office and 'big foot' the boss' car. ha!

Back