My iPad dilemma

iPad 3 64 Wifi iOS 8.1/FF/GPS/Stratux, what to do with it?

• Keep it as is. Everything works, why change?

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Update to latest iOS/FF and keep it. It will work just fine

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Buy new iPad Mini 4 64. $400 for this one use only

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Forget Apple/FF. Get something else. Cheaper and better

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

genna

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ТУ-104
So, I have a dilemma and could use some advice.

This is my EFB setup: iPad 3 Wifi 64GB, Jailbroken, iOS 8.1, Foreflight(last available for that iOS), Dual 160 GPS, Stratux ADSB weather.

It all works fine. Battery is still decent, performance is ok, mostly have been reliable, but occasionally BT gets disconnected and FF needs to be restarted. It's not a big deal.

The iPad mostly used for aviation. Besides aviation, my wife uses it to read books occasionally and even less often it's used to watch movies/browse internet on trips away from home. Otherwise it just sits at home and does pretty much nothing. I generally find iPads pretty useless for anything other than aviation and basic computer needs when you don't want laptop.

The planes I currently fly with have GTN 750 installed. I fly about 30-50h/year with probably around 20-30 on IFR XC trips

So my choices are:
1. Keep it all as is for now. Why change something that works and now with 750s, I use it somewhat less in flight anyway. Maybe even move away from FF/iPad in the future when it becomes unusable.
2. Upgrade to current iOS and FF. Free, but taking a risk of making that iPad a lot less usable from performance aspect
3. Get iPad Mini 4 64 Wifi with current FF and iOS and give the other one to my wife :). That's about $400. I'm trying to see value in spending this money.

Any thoughts?

Option #1 is definitely good. Option #2 is a good one to me as I also have an iPad 3 and it seems to be more stable with iOS 9.2 on it. Also, you would be able to run the latest FF with all the new whiz-bang features.

Option #3 I would not do as long as you are happy with the size of the iPad 3. I could not spend the money on a new one right now as the 3 does what I need it to do, albeit slightly slower than the new pads. But, if you want a new one, now is the time to buy at Best Buy while they are $100-$125 off.

Also with option #3, you run the risk that the new iPad will be repossessed by your wife thereby putting you back at the beginning.

Tough choices.

David

I just replaced the same unit with the Air 2 128GB. Could not be happier. It's MUCH faster.

Option #3 I would not do as long as you are happy with the size of the iPad 3. I could not spend the money on a new one right now as the 3 does what I need it to do, albeit slightly slower than the new pads. But, if you want a new one, now is the time to buy at Best Buy while they are $100-$125 off.

Also with option #3, you run the risk that the new iPad will be repossessed by your wife thereby putting you back at the beginning.

Tough choices.

David

Right. This is what got me looking. Mini 4 can be bought for about 400 with tax. Plus a knee board. I find full sized iPad to be just a little too big, but I can work with it in 172. Wife is not likely to steal it. She is very lukewarm to iPads anyway. Well, at least this is what she says now :)

I have the air two,does everything you need.

What scares me is that you said it's jailbroken. I'd get a 128GB Ipad Air with a leg strap and a power bank. Load it up with Fore-flight, download all the maps and aviation literature. Then, keep the Ipad 3 as a backup.

BTW if it's jailbroken there is a way to get the Fore-flight subscription for free. Won't go into it with detail here.

What scares me is that you said it's jailbroken. I'd get a 128GB Ipad Air with a leg strap and a power bank. Load it up with Fore-flight, download all the maps and aviation literature. Then, keep the Ipad 3 as a backup.

BTW if it's jailbroken there is a way to get the Fore-flight subscription for free. Won't go into it with detail here.

No, you can't get FF subscription for free.

There is nothing scary about being jailbroken. It's pretty useless on this iPad as it's not used for much, but it's very useful on my phone.

As far as Air 128. Way more than I need. Air 2 64 maybe, but it's about 100 more than mini and I think I'd rather get a more compact Mini if I went with new. Realistically, I only need 32, but that's not available. My current iPad is only 5GB of FF and total about 10GB used.

If I loaded all FF charts into ipad, it would only drive me nuts as every month I would have to spend an hour updating these maps. No sense in it if I only fly a few states.

For what it's worth, I have an old iPad2 which I was avoiding updating because I was under the belief that it would get crippled on the new iOS. After replacing the iPad with a new mini version for aviation use I figured I had nothing to lose with the old pad and updated it. Things work fine, and it is still a very usable tool. I even had Foreflight on it for a while after updating and it worked ok too.

One thing I noticed was that at some point the iPad downloaded the new iOS and it was sitting there waiting to be updated. It consumed a lot of precious storage space which you might have lost as well.

Why fix what isn't broken?

Software update:
Pro: Main reason is to move to new iOS as I'd like to update to current Foreflight, but my iOS is too old for it.
Con: performance hit

Upgrading the ipad:
Pro:
1. same as above and having performance to handle it well.
2. I think Mini may end up a bit less bulky in the plane(not 100 sure it is a big deal)
3. Use of the same charging cable(iPad 3 is 32 pin)
4. Battery in current one will probably start going off soon.
5. Backup/freed ipad for other-than-aviation use
Con:$$$

Software update:
Pro: Main reason is to move to new iOS as I'd like to update to current Foreflight, but my iOS is too old for it.

I really haven't felt that there was a detectable performance hit. Your experience may differ though.

Software update:

Upgrading the ipad:
Pro:
1. same as above and having performance to handle it well.
2. I think Mini may end up a bit less bulky in the plane(not 100 sure it is a big deal)
3. Use of the same charging cable(iPad 3 is 32 pin)
4. Battery in current one will probably start going off soon.
5. Backup/freed ipad for other-than-aviation use
Con:$$$

you mention performance hit. are you talking about speed? If you're using it primarily for aviation and your wife's books, is it going to be anything noticeable. Getting the latest ios to keep FF updated is what I'd do.

I really haven't felt that there was a detectable performance hit. Your experience may differ though.

Thanks! I think I will go your route in reverse: Update software first and if it's still good, keep the current iPad. If not.. well I can always get a new one. I'm guessing they will keep being discounted as sales are dropping fast on iPads... Maybe even keep it until I get enough cahones to move to non-Apple setup. :)

This seems to be the consensus of the poll so far.

You could always be the first to put an iPad Pro in the cockpit! Bypass the mini, regular pad and go PRO! LOL

David

Why mess with things that work? Keep it

Back