My IFR training journey

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
My Elite sim is being put to good use. One of my instructors came over yesterday and it was 2 hours ground and 2 hours sim work on holding patterns. I love this sim!

Taking ground school once a week. Working at self study as well. I want to nail this exam and learn to be a good IR pilot.

Just very excited with the process thus far....

Just out of curiosity what made you buy the Elite sim for your home use rather than just flying a plane?

Just out of curiosity what made you buy the Elite sim for your home use rather than just flying a plane?
I did 15 hours of my IR in a Redbird sim and although it did not feel like the real thing it was great for nailing procedures at a fraction of the cost of renting a plane. I had trouble conceptualizing and understanding holding patterns, so I decided to spend half as much on the sim as I would have doing it in the plane. And there is no pause button in the plane. In the sim, me and my instructor would go step by step and if he felt I wasn't doing it right, he would pause and explain, then reset me. If your flight school has an approved sim, definitely take advantage of it

Well, I can understand the reasons to use a sim at a school but it sounds like the OP bought his own sim? At $7,000+ it sounds like a steep option for the 10 or so hours this will save you.

Well, I can understand the reasons to use a sim at a school but it sounds like the OP bought his own sim? At $7,000+ it sounds like a steep option for the 10 or so hours this will save you.

I lucked out. My son built me a computer, and we had extra monitors around which are used for the instructors station. At xmas time, there was a 32 inch Sharp TV on sale for $200 so I bought that for the main monitor. Elite sold me some refurbished hardware. I have about $4,500 into the who system.

The Redbird I was renting was costing $85 per hour. The 10 hours of sim time would therefore cost $850 without the instructor. I could not use the Redbird by myself. Also, my son is learning to fly. His 10 hours sim time for his IR would be $850 as well. So that is $1,700. So what about the other $2,800? The ability to practice, practice, practice is priceless. It keeps me "flying" on crap weather days, and I can spend time by myself going through holds, approaches and other procedures. You can never practice enough, and this allows me to practice if I have 20 minutes here and there. I don't have to make a reservation. Who cares if I can't log the extra time. The knowledge and skill gained is worth it. Convenience is great.

I lucked out. My son built me a computer, and we had extra monitors around which are used for the instructors station. At xmas time, there was a 32 inch Sharp TV on sale for $200 so I bought that for the main monitor. Elite sold me some refurbished hardware. I have about $4,500 into the who system.

The Redbird I was renting was costing $85 per hour. The 10 hours of sim time would therefore cost $850 without the instructor. I could not use the Redbird by myself. Also, my son is learning to fly. His 10 hours sim time for his IR would be $850 as well. So that is $1,700. So what about the other $2,800? The ability to practice, practice, practice is priceless. It keeps me "flying" on crap weather days, and I can spend time by myself going through holds, approaches and other procedures. You can never practice enough, and this allows me to practice if I have 20 minutes here and there. I don't have to make a reservation. Who cares if I can't log the extra time. The knowledge and skill gained is worth it. Convenience is great.

I can tell I've been spending too much time on Facebook and not enough time here. I was just looking for the "Like" button on this post.

Sounds like you've got a great setup and one that will allow you and your son to continue learning/practicing beyond just earning the next rating. Keep it up!

I can tell I've been spending too much time on Facebook and not enough time here. I was just looking for the "Like" button on this post.

Sounds like you've got a great setup and one that will allow you and your son to continue learning/practicing beyond just earning the next rating. Keep it up!

Yeah for that price and with another pilot going to use it that makes sense. As you said, for the $2,800 that's not a terrible price to pay for the equipment of a certified flight simulator. Plus it definitely would have some resale value.

And I agree, simulator practice at home is priceless.

Yeah for that price and with another pilot going to use it that makes sense. As you said, for the $2,800 that's not a terrible price to pay for the equipment of a certified flight simulator. Plus it definitely would have some resale value.

And I agree, simulator practice at home is priceless.

Nothing like doing approaches in your sweat shorts, slippers, with a cup of tea next to you in the evening......and one other perk....ya don;t have to go out in the crap Chicago weather.

Nothing like doing approaches in your sweat shorts, slippers, with a cup of tea next to you in the evening......and one other perk....ya don;t have to go out in the crap Chicago weather.

Sorry to get off the topic but why do you have Canada in your signature below your comments?

And you can hit pause! I know you shouldn't, but this is a nice feature for when one of the younger kids wanders over.
Sorry to get off the topic but why do you have Canada in your signature below your comments?

Hey buddy, Canada is part of America.

And you can hit pause! I know you shouldn't, but this is a nice feature for when one of the younger kids wanders over.

Flying in ridiculous weather and doing crazy approaches from around the world is also a plus.

now you can rent it to other pilots,, im sure that is giong to stir up some part 135 part 500 rules and regulations but whawtever..

Because I received my TC PPL on my 17th birthday. I just got back into aviation after a 30 yr absence and received my FAA certificate last July. Don't know how to combine both maps....I'm technologically challenged.

now you can rent it to other pilots,, im sure that is giong to stir up some part 135 part 500 rules and regulations but whawtever..

It's in the hurricane disaster zone known as my sons room. Ain't going to happen. Lol.

Back