My Hopeless attempt with the $113.50 receiver

Concering DroidEFB: Change the default SSID to stratux under Device Settings for either SkyRdar ADS-B SSID or iLevil ADS-B SSID. (Note: Don't have both with the same SSID.) Connect to the Stratux WiFi and restart DroidEFB. Upon restart select the layers tab. If DroidEFB is connected to Stratux, you should see options for "NEXRAD via ABS-B" and "ADSB Traffic". If you are configured for only the UAT SDR you will not see any information until you receive a signal from the UAT tower. When the tower signal is received, you will see both traffic and weather information. If you are configured to use both UAT and 1090ES SDR you will see 1090ES traffic but no weather until tower data is received.

Concerning Avare: It took a long time of the NexRad to appear on my device. I had to do the following: Insure the Avare Extenal I/O Plug In is running, Wifi is selected, 4000 is entered for the port, and the “Listening” box is checked. Under Preferences / Weather check the “Use ADS-B Weather check box. Under the “Options” button (left Side) select either METAR or NexRad from the No Layer / METAR / NEXRAD choices.

Yeah, no surprise - it took me that many tries to burn the image the first time around. About to do it again with the latest image. Using an old version of the image writer given the issues I had with the new version.

And this only took 3 tries. First two, the program was unable to get a lock on the memory card to write, and Windows eject device said device was busy. Shut down, reboot, disable a couple of programs in the reboot, and run the image writer as "administrator". That worked, and I'm up to the 9/4 version.

I'm going to give the newer version a few days to shake out before trying it.

Concering DroidEFB: Change the default SSID to stratux under Device Settings for either SkyRdar ADS-B SSID or iLevil ADS-B SSID. (Note: Don't have both with the same SSID.) Connect to the Stratux WiFi and restart DroidEFB. Upon restart select the layers tab. If DroidEFB is connected to Stratux, you should see options for "NEXRAD via ABS-B" and "ADSB Traffic". If you are configured for only the UAT SDR you will not see any information until you receive a signal from the UAT tower. When the tower signal is received, you will see both traffic and weather information. If you are configured to use both UAT and 1090ES SDR you will see 1090ES traffic but no weather until tower data is received.

Concerning Avare: It took a long time of the NexRad to appear on my device. I had to do the following: Insure the Avare Extenal I/O Plug In is running, Wifi is selected, 4000 is entered for the port, and the “Listening” box is checked. Under Preferences / Weather check the “Use ADS-B Weather check box. Under the “Options” button (left Side) select either METAR or NexRad from the No Layer / METAR / NEXRAD choices.
Thanks it may be that I only saw commercial traffic, no uats out triggering the towers. Why 4000, it came up with a number on its own. Was that the 1090 number? It showed 43211 as the port.

Guess I'm not near a tower or airplanes with ADS-B, 'cuz I can't see anything on FF.

Tomorrow. I'll be close to DIA, should see something then.

Took the advice of [someone] and picked up 2 x 1ft USB extenders. Much easier to work with and an extra foot of distance for the antenna. Now to figure out where to put it in the airplane.

So are you going to let us in on the secret? How did you "fix" it? My guess is you forgot to unzip the image :rofl:

So are you going to let us in on the secret? How did you "fix" it? My guess is you forgot to unzip the image :rofl:
You guess wrong, grasshopper.

5 attempts at the installation, every one of which was the unzipped .img image file. Two different install programs, neither of which worked on the Mac. Had to power up the Win7 box.

By the way, I've written detailed installation instructions for anyone not used to dealing with the command line or Linux.

You guess wrong, grasshopper.

5 attempts at the installation, every one of which was the unzipped .img image file. Two different install programs, neither of which worked on the Mac. Had to power up the Win7 box.

By the way, I've written detailed installation instructions for anyone not used to dealing with the command line or Linux.

So it's not that, but you won't tell us what was wrong?

So it's not that, but you won't tell us what was wrong?

Mom used to tell me that if I can't say anything nice, don't say anything.

I repeat, the problem was flashing the microSD. Even in the unlikely event that I forgot to unzip the file (which I didn't) I wouldn't make that mistake twice with the same file.

Mom used to tell me that if I can't say anything nice, don't say anything.

I repeat, the problem was flashing the microSD. Even in the unlikely event that I forgot to unzip the file (which I didn't) I wouldn't make that mistake twice with the same file.

Then don't say something that's not nice, say exactly what the rest of us can do to avoid your travails :) Or did you just get it working by luck and not really sure what you did to get it working?

You got a bee in your bonnet?
Let it go.

Just thought it would be nice if he gave back to the community instead of just whining and asking for help? When he got it, the best thing to do add to the collective knowledge which makes it easier for us all.

Just thought it would be nice if he gave back to the community instead of just whining and asking for help? When he got it, the best thing to do add to the collective knowledge which makes it easier for us all.

sheesh

And I just thought it would be nice if our community was a little nicer.

Murphey has contributed much to it.

If switching from Mac to Win fixed the imaging problem I have a gut feel automount wasn't disabled on the Mac. Pulling a drive that's formatted in a file system a Mac can't read while its trying to figure it out and eventually fail has a weird tendency to trash the directory structure.

I'll be able to do more testing tomorrow, weather permitting (seems funny to say that). I'm giving a lesson and, while I won't screw around with this on my student's dime, my home base is close enough to a station that I can typically get ADS-B weather there on the ground.

If you're talking about TTA, I believe the ADS-B tower is actually on the field.

Finally got all the pieces together and it works. I think? My iPad connects to the Startux wifi, but I am about 25 miles to the nearest tower with high terrain in between. I'm planning a night flight tomorrow so I will be able to see if it “sees” any ADS-B towers.

Hooked it up to the HDMI and it shows the Raspian OS as it loads the ADS-B image. The Raspian OS remains on the “Config” page even though the ADS-B is working.

Finally got all the pieces together and it works. I think? My iPad connects to the Startux wifi, but I am about 25 miles to the nearest tower with high terrain in between. I'm planning a night flight tomorrow so I will be able to see if it “sees” any ADS-B towers.

Hooked it up to the HDMI and it shows the Raspian OS as it loads the ADS-B image. The Raspian OS remains on the “Config” page even though the ADS-B is working.

Congrats, and, you should follow along and post your updates in the other thread that details the process.

This thread was started by someone who had some sort of unkown issue with writing the image on teh SD card, that he somehow solved via some unknown method.

Perhaps the OP or an administrator can close this thread as the name is deceptively similar to the thread that is tracking people's attempts and successes?

Back