My Home Airport to be on TV

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
My little home airport, 10C, Galt is going to be on TV. The new owners have sunk a lot of money into upgrading facilities. Stuff like this will help keep our rents down, community awareness up, and hopefully let us stay open for a long time.

Galt catches another 'break'

[published on Thu, Mar 16, 2006]
GREENWOOD – Less than a year ago, Galt Airport was home to a Foreigner concert.
clear.gif
This week, it is home to a prison break.
Cast and crew for the Fox hit series "Prison Break" started shooting at Galt Airport on Tuesday night for an episode that director and co-executive producer Kevin Hooks said would be the season finale, slated to air sometime this spring. The series, which premiered in August, centers on engineer Michael Scofield (Wentworth Miller) who is sure that his brother, Lincoln Burrows (Dominic Purcell), has been wrongly accused of an assassination. To help his brother escape before he is executed, Scofield joins him in prison by committing an armed robbery.
Although Hooks would not say what the last episode of the season would entail, part of the show's plot has involved Scofield and Miller persuading another inmate, former Chicago mob boss John Abruzzi (Peter Stormare), to let them use his plane to help them escape.
"All I can tell you about it is, it's a crisis situation," Hooks said of the scene at Galt.
Fake police lights, or "whirly gags" as they're sometimes called in the TV and film industry, spun behind the actors as they said their lines.
"We'll try one more," Hooks shouted to a group of cast members Tuesday as they finished shooting a scene that involved crouching down in a wooded area. "That was nice."
Shooting at Galt resumed Wednesday night and is scheduled to finish tonight. This isn't the first time "Prison Break" has visited McHenry County. A brief scene was shot in October on the Woodstock Square. Galt Airport owner Michael Stanard said he helped the show out by arranging to have a Citation I jet specially flown into the airport for the filming.
"I think they wanted a rural setting away from an industrial area," Stanard said. "It's good for the little village of Greenwood. It makes life more interesting."
"Prison Break" crew members approached Stanard about a month ago and wanted to start shooting at Galt last week, but had to delay the work because of the snow, he said
To prepare for the shooting, Stanard said, crew members replaced doors on his barn and added stairs to the structure. Lights also were augmented on the runway so they would shine more dramatically on the jet.
Keeping people warm with plenty of coffee and hot cocoa, "Prison Break" craft service foreman Darryl Johnson of Chicago was one of about 100 cast and crew at the airport Tuesday night. Johnson said the group could go through between 10 and 15 gallons of coffee a night while shooting a scene.
"Wherever the shot is, that's where we go," Johnson said.
And unlike the 1993 filming of "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray or even the last "Prison Break" appearance in the fall, hardly anyone showed up Tuesday to watch what was taking place at Galt. In fact, Keith Jauch, who lives across the street from the airport on Greenwood Road, was the lone onlooker.
"I saw these cars pulling in," he said. "I didn't know what was happening."

By GENEVA WHITE
gwhite@nwherald.com

Back