My glider is finally a reality

saddletramp

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saddletramp
I'm starting a glider operation & finding a clean two-place trainer for under 80K was quite the challenge. After much searching, I finally found a Blanik L-23 in New York state in December. I flew out there & bought it.

It took me a few months to find a way to get it out here. I finally got a guy who pulls RV's all over the country to drag the glider/trailer out to WA state. 2700 miles.

It arrived two weeks ago. I had my mechanic who is 145 miles away to do an annual in it plus some other work. I finally pulled it home a week ago. My dream is becoming a reality.

I has some fresh red paint applied too. More visibility.

I finally located a tow hook kit my 182 & it arrived today also from New York. Once I get it installed I'll post some pictures of the two in-flight.

Soaring has also taken a dive in the number of pilots & sailplanes.

It's going to be a fun summer.

Attachments

• IMG_1085.JPG
    IMG_1085.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 34
Cool project. Do you have an airport friendly to gliders to operate out of ?

Yes. Private field. Both grass & asphalt to land on. Owner of the airport is stoked to have glider activity. S95 is the airport.

Good luck in the endeavor. A mechanic 145 miles away will get old quickly. Aren't there mechs on the field?

A few glider pilots in the area?

Sweet, what altitude do you release the glider at? How long is the average flight?

Good luck in the endeavor. A mechanic 145 miles away will get old quickly. Aren't there mechs on the field?

A few glider pilots in the area?

Thanks. Since it was a new to me ship I took it to a mechanic I've know for 25+ years that I trust. He also rebuilds taildraggers & gliders. There's A & I's locally I can use if an emergency pops up.

Sweet, what altitude do you release the glider at? How long is the average flight?

If we release the glider at 3,000AGL we'll stay up about 25 minutes. That is if there is no lift. If atmospheric conditions are right...you can stay up all day & travel hundreds of miles.

I'll be giving both rides & instruction.

Last edited:
Back