My Friend's New Plane - Lengthy

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
I first became aware of him when I was just starting flight lessons. Sitting at the round table in the club house with the usual group at Merrymeeting Airport 08B, Bowdoinham, ME, all paid attention to the buzz of a plane landing on #14. I knew nothing about a three-point landing but, apparently, there was one. The airport owner, a commercial pilot, commented, "That kid will go far."
He was flying the same N4065V C-150 that had trained many pilots over the years. The teenager on that day had plans. I came to know the kid who was and remains 39 years younger than I. Another plane he had been flying solo, not training in 65Victor, was sold. He was so highly recommended, I allowed him to use my Skyhawk. Often, he would "right seat" for me and I received a lot of left seat piloting, though I couldn't Log it because the teen-aged Private Pilot wasn't an instructor. This arrangement went on for a couple years. See Image #1.

When he graduated from high school he received an ROTC Full Scholarship to Embry Riddle/Daytona. Every time he was home on a break, chances are he'd take his parents for a flight in my plane. In Image #2 he's shown preparing to ferry the plane from Bowdoinham and after landing Wiscasset KIWI. At some point I had a second plane - C150 -and there we are in Image #3.

After he graduated from Embry Riddle he "owed" the USAF something like 9 or was it 11 years of "payback." Image #4 was his "new" plane when the Air Force sent him to somewhere in the south(Mississippi? Alabama? I don't remember).

The last time I saw him he was back here while being transferred to Washington State. At that time he had around 2500 hours in - I can't remember - either C-17 or KC-135. Then he took his lady friend flying in my plane.

Fast forward to June 14, 2014. I was picked out of a crowd at a church-sponsored carnival midway. In front of a very noisy(shall we say LOUD) band the lady said, "I'm Joel's mother." I hadn't seen her or Joel's Dad for that five year period, and Natalie could have passed for Joel's sister.

"So what's he at, now? Lieutenant? Captain?"
""Well, he has a new gig. He's now in California - Beal(sp?) Air Force Base.""
At that, his Dad brought out his iPhone and searched for a picture. Oh, there it was; but Joel's AF uniform was different from any I'd seen close-up. Then Richard ran the video which he's going to send me on a thumb drive. They had gone to California some time ago to witness(and video) Joel's "new" plane
coming in for a landing at 150mph. Beautiful! That different uniform was a space suit and Joel was flying the U-2, which he does once or twice a week.
Two fingers displayed by his Dad indicated how much is still "owed" to the USAF. Joel is already type-certificated for Boeing 737, so he's not too worried about his future, should he choose to leave the Air Force.
Yup; Wayne DeLong was right when he said, "That kid will go far."

Incidentally, the interview to get to the California gig was two weeks long; but that's another story, if anyone's interested.

HR
[EDIT] I forgot to include: when he's not flying the U-2, the other duty is T-38(if I remember correctly) fighter jet.

Attachments

• Joel.jpg
    Joel.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
  • Joel, at 08B and IWI.JPG
    Joel, at 08B and IWI.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 100
  • N66148#3May31.jpg
    N66148#3May31.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 117
  • Joel's New Toy.JPG
    Joel's New Toy.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Note: If anyone were to see N66148 in North Carolina(or is it South Carolina?), that would be my old plane in Image #3.

HR

It is not so surprising that our top military pilots come from small country airfields.

Hey that t-1 is a columbus Air Force base jet. Mississippi.. Yeah that's where I'm at. Cool! The T-38 is also at columbus. It's a trainer used in UPT and IFF for those in the fighter track.

I have to ask. The 3 point landing? What was the deal with it??

Thanks

It is not so surprising that our top military pilots come from small country airfields.
Bill: He graduated from Mt. Ararat High School, Topsham. When he was working at Taste of Maine Restaurant(Woolwich - which you, of course, know) on Sundays when I wasn't working at my store I'd pick him up after his morning shift. We'd go the several miles to Wiscasset Airport, then airport-hop: Augusta, Rockland, Waterville, Bar Harbor, Auburn-Lewiston etc. One time we went to Beverly, MA Airport(see photo #1), stopped at Sanford on the return trip(Photo #2). The Mooney at Beverly Airport belonged to one of the Babes and Airplanes early members and her husband.

HR

Attachments

• N7872G at BVY.JPG
    N7872G at BVY.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Sanford (SFM) Visitors.JPG
    Sanford (SFM) Visitors.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 40
  • Scott Davis' Mooney @ BVY.JPG
    Scott Davis' Mooney @ BVY.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 37
Hey that t-1 is a columbus Air Force base jet. Mississippi.. Yeah that's where I'm at. Cool! The T-38 is also at columbus. It's a trainer used in UPT and IFF for those in the fighter track.
Simtech: Yeah; ignore my earlier reference to Alabama. It WAS Mississippi when Joel went for his initial training in that category plane.
It was one of my CFIs whose National Guard(Bangor up here) unit sent him to Alabama for Helo training(and Officer Candidate School), the result of which was several tours in Iraq flying Blackhawks, to fly in and retrieve/rescue the wounded.

HR

I "knew" nothing at the time, I was so new. But the landing everyone was watching, he just gracefully set the 150 down on all three. Then he did it on several more landings.
Below are several of my pictures of the 1948' 08B where we both started training.

HR

Attachments

• N66148#18 08B#32 at LeftCenter.jpg
    N66148#18 08B#32 at LeftCenter.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 26
  • N66148#19 08B #32 LeftCenter.jpg
    N66148#19 08B #32 LeftCenter.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 27
  • N66148#20 Bowdoinham & 08B.jpg
    N66148#20 Bowdoinham & 08B.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 26
  • N66148#21 Low pass at 08B.jpg
    N66148#21 Low pass at 08B.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 26
I "knew" nothing at the time, I was so new. But the landing everyone was watching, he just gracefully set the 150 down on all three. Then he did it on several more landings.
Below are several of my pictures of the 1948' 08B where we both started training.

HR

Is that airport still open? I never landed there when flyng the "Sport Musketeers" out of MIFS back in the 70s.

Roger on Mt Ararat HS and Taste of Maine.

Looks like we'll be having a family picnic for my Mom's birthday at my brothers place on Cobbessecontee Lake, Winthrop. No time to fly.

Merrymeeting Airport is still open: Private ownership, public airport, but there are nowhere near the number of planes based there as used to be. Photos I had posted go back about nine years.

Regrets that it's unlikely we'll connect while you're in the area.

HR

I first became aware of him when I was just starting flight lessons. Sitting at the round table in the club house with the usual group at Merrymeeting Airport 08B, Bowdoinham, ME, all paid attention to the buzz of a plane landing on #14. I knew nothing about a three-point landing but, apparently, there was one. The airport owner, a commercial pilot, commented, "That kid will go far."
He was flying the same N4065V C-150 that had trained many pilots over the years. The teenager on that day had plans. I came to know the kid who was and remains 39 years younger than I. Another plane he had been flying solo, not training in 65Victor, was sold. He was so highly recommended, I allowed him to use my Skyhawk. Often, he would "right seat" for me and I received a lot of left seat piloting, though I couldn't Log it because the teen-aged Private Pilot wasn't an instructor. This arrangement went on for a couple years. See Image #1.

When he graduated from high school he received an ROTC Full Scholarship to Embry Riddle/Daytona. Every time he was home on a break, chances are he'd take his parents for a flight in my plane. In Image #2 he's shown preparing to ferry the plane from Bowdoinham and after landing Wiscasset KIWI. At some point I had a second plane - C150 -and there we are in Image #3.

After he graduated from Embry Riddle he "owed" the USAF something like 9 or was it 11 years of "payback." Image #4 was his "new" plane when the Air Force sent him to somewhere in the south(Mississippi? Alabama? I don't remember).

The last time I saw him he was back here while being transferred to Washington State. At that time he had around 2500 hours in - I can't remember - either C-17 or KC-135. Then he took his lady friend flying in my plane.

Fast forward to June 14, 2014. I was picked out of a crowd at a church-sponsored carnival midway. In front of a very noisy(shall we say LOUD) band the lady said, "I'm Joel's mother." I hadn't seen her or Joel's Dad for that five year period, and Natalie could have passed for Joel's sister.

"So what's he at, now? Lieutenant? Captain?"
""Well, he has a new gig. He's now in California - Beal(sp?) Air Force Base.""
At that, his Dad brought out his iPhone and searched for a picture. Oh, there it was; but Joel's AF uniform was different from any I'd seen close-up. Then Richard ran the video which he's going to send me on a thumb drive. They had gone to California some time ago to witness(and video) Joel's "new" plane
coming in for a landing at 150mph. Beautiful! That different uniform was a space suit and Joel was flying the U-2, which he does once or twice a week.
Two fingers displayed by his Dad indicated how much is still "owed" to the USAF. Joel is already type-certificated for Boeing 737, so he's not too worried about his future, should he choose to leave the Air Force.
Yup; Wayne DeLong was right when he said, "That kid will go far."

Incidentally, the interview to get to the California gig was two weeks long; but that's another story, if anyone's interested.

HR
[EDIT] I forgot to include: when he's not flying the U-2, the other duty is T-38(if I remember correctly) fighter jet.
How about Cholene Espanoza? Grad. USAF academy, fighter instructor, U2 pilot, then flew for United. Now a recent grad as a medical doctor. Not bad.

Back