My (former) Plane is Down

Welcome to POA. If it was a stall/spin accident in the pattern, the pilot got REAL lucky and the trees might have even cushioned his impact. Regardless, it will be interesting to see what FAA/NTSB determine. Regardless, what was reported in the news stories above doesn't jive with what happened.

Regarding the avionics; in theory the insurance company should either pay you the increased value for the avionics, or allow you to remove them. In reality, read your policy to see how this might be handled. You're talking tens of thousands of dollars of value potentially lost.

i just heard from the insurance company and everything that was in the plane stays as salvage. Our only option is to bid on the aircraft when it comes up on their auction site. It's a sealed bit auction so no one sees the others bids.

Isn't the insurance company going to write the check based on the new avionics? I'm sure they won't give retail value but then again you should get some of the install costs back.

The new panel sounds a lot more extensive than what I'd heard. Sorry to hear about the loss. I shrieked in horror when I saw the pic of the plane upside down. I sold my share in Aug 2015.

i just heard from the insurance company and everything that was in the plane stays as salvage. Our only option is to bid on the aircraft when it comes up on their auction site. It's a sealed bit auction so no one sees the others bids.

That is too bad.

On the other hand - how about flying an airplane that had previously been destroyed (Per NTSB)?
A student pilot panicked during the first solo and put it into a plowed field instead of trying to land on the runway.
Really.

I used to fly a 182 that a previous owner tried to land on a narrow road to visit a friend. Ripped the right wing off.

On the first annual the mechanic found two bucking bars in the right wing.

Isn't the insurance company going to write the check based on the new avionics? I'm sure they won't give retail value but then again you should get some of the install costs back.

The new panel sounds a lot more extensive than what I'd heard. Sorry to hear about the loss. I shrieked in horror when I saw the pic of the plane upside down. I sold my share in Aug 2015.

They will write the check based on your insured value.

I would send an A&P in there in the middle of the night with a screwdriver...

Last edited:

Bummer, sorry to hear that.

I had a conversation with the FAA investigator today. His ruling CFIT due to loss of situational awareness.
And that ends the story.
We are still aggressively looking for a replacement but finding it a sellers market. Nicely equipped planes with low to mid time engines are selling faster than we can contact the seller/broker. At the moment we are looking at 182s, Piper Dakotas and straight leg Cardinals.

They will write the check based on your insured value.

I would send an A&P in there in the middle of the night with a screwdriver...

Better hope they don’t check the logs or FAA documentation.

The story has come to and end as the club has purchased an aircraft to replace or lost 172.
We wanted to step up in performance and were looking for a well equipped Cessna 182 P or Q model with an updated panel to include ADDS-B.
Our president found that first generation Cirrus are selling at the same price break as said 182 and is 20 years younger.
What we found is a 2000 SR20 that has the ADS-B equipage done. 1230 TT, 720 SMOH, 2 blade prop replaced with three blade at 188hrs just under 3 years before chute repack.
We will be utilizing the Cirrus free training program for one of the instructors at the airport will be our check pilot. Our members will have to pass the Cirrus syllabus before checking the plane out.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 42
  • N115KD 016.JPG
    N115KD 016.JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 41
  • N117KD_08.jpg
    N117KD_08.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 41
  • N117KD_16.jpg
    N117KD_16.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 41
Glad to hear your club was able to replace the destroyed plane with something as high-quality as a Cirrus. Nice looking bird! A local acquaintance at my airport also bought an early model Cirrus recently. Apparently they are now within reach of ordinary mortals.

As to having flown planes that later augured in, I can think of 3 such planes off the top of my head that I have flown. The first was a 152 that was one of the very first planes I trained in, that crashed short of the runway at KPTK due to (apparently) carb ice. One fatality, one serious injury. Then there was the Cherokee that hit the T-hangars at KDET, G_d knows why. I had about 3 hours early on in that little bird. And the 172 that I did my PPL checkride in, N739RX, the venerable trainer at Marine City, MI that everyone loved, was totaled about 5 years ago when someone lost control of it in a strong crosswind. They had another, earlier model 172 that they scrapped for parts a few years before after an accident. I've flown other planes that have gotten into accidents or been geared up, but those are the only ones that come to mind that ended their days in a crash. It does really hit you when that happens.

I didn’t read this thread until now, but as I did, at first I thought nah, no way planes I’ve flown had been damaged. Then I thought about it some more.

A 172 was taxied behind a Dash 8 doing post maintenance run up testing and got blown over onto its side, bending a wing. Another 172 got caught parked outside in wind, and as the fueler rushed to tug it into a hangar the plane blew sideways and bent a wing. I’ve flown both of those since.

The FBO had a nice 172R. Only a couple of years old. Autopilot, moving map GPS, leather, clean, everything worked. This was the airplane you wanted to rent when taking up someone new to GA. A student rented it for a solo cross-country and tried to land in too strong of cross wind. He went off runway and ran over the segmented circle, which bent the prop and stripped the gear off, totaling the plane.

Another of the FBO’s 172’s was stalled by an instructor at maybe 80 feet above the runway. This was the event that gave me some real appreciation for Cessna’s design. There was damage almost everywhere: prop, engine case, both wings bent, rear fuselage bent, horizontal stab, etc. But the cabin and seats were relatively straight, and no fire. It was really impressive to look at it with all the damage it had and then notice how intact the cabin was. It was almost like someone had taken an almost straight cabin and hung a bunch of bent parts all around it.

Fortunately, no fatals. But, stuff happens.

Freeway is no place to be noodling around without lights in the dark. Not only are their trees but high tension lines and the trucks on Route 50 to contend with.

Because when they wrote you a check assuming they totaled it, the plane became their property, pretty sure they expect to recoup some of their costs via salvage. Usually they send someone to assess the damage, I would think a listing of non damaged avionics would be part of that assessment.
I would ask, just to avoid being charged with insurance fraud, pretty sure that will hurt your insurance rates

1975 172M that we bought brand new and owned for 35 years. Sold and second subsequent owner had to have it re-annualed & ferried by a flight instructor. IA said "its on the ramp ready to go". Only there was no oil in it and FI didn't catch it.:eek:

A new-to-me second instrument flight instructor seemed much more professional. Driving away though it bothered me that he didn't seem to look anywhere near as much as my previous instructor - who we earlier joked that he seemed almost paranoid. Next flight FI2 had a midair (two fatalities) at FCM practicing holding patterns.

All these stories have me wishing for a list of all the airplanes we've flown which are still flying!

It also makes me more determined never to end up the subject of a NTSB report for posthumous criticism.

I was in a 182 10 person partnership back in the early 90's. I flew from Phoenix Deer Valley down to Casa Grande for the Copperstate fly-in, very next flight one of the partners took off with teenage daughter and her two friends for Showlow to go skiing. Plane went missing for about a week, he ran into bad weather about midway and went straight in. Difficult to spot as the plane was green and white and crashed in woods covered with snow.

Back