My flight video with a GoPro camera on my headset

maduro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Maduro
Hi all,

I am new and this is my first post. I thought I'd share my DIY project to mount a GoPro video camera on aviation headset. It is an ASA brand.... i think pretty common. I looked all over the net to buy a mounting hardware and couldn't so I made it one. Cost less than $10 worth of hardware.

HINT: when you go to align the video camera, do it infront of a mirror with the headset on your head. If you do it not on your head it will not be aligned when you put your headset on.

Here is the flight youtube video: http://youtu.be/mGwNM_-V_9o

gopro.on.headset.small.jpg

Very nice. It's a personal opinion, but I like a dash-mounted camera, or (and I haven't done this yet) a headrest mount. For one thing, I'm 6'4" so any kind of headset mount will probably scrape the headliner. For another, I would like a better way to video the panel. I need to get a little more creative, but here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHWD3GxNGfI

Keep sharing. Flying videos are fun!!

Nice, I might try that, the standard head bands they provide can be a little tight after a while.

Nifty mod. Now you need to add intercom audio into your video.

Last edited:
Your video looks good, but i agree, it is just a bit too high.

I did a lot of experimentation with mine - I took one of the sticky footpads and attached it to one of the earcups of my headset and tried using that for a while for my GoPro Hero2. The videos weren't bad, but you'll find that even these ultra-lite cameras have enough weight to pull the headset down on the side it's mounted on. I found that the seal around the ear wasnt as tight, and my right ear would have a lot more hearing fatigue as compared with the left. Also, you'll feel that extra weight when turning your head.

In the end I found that to me, the headstrap gives the best POV shots. Though I try to mount it on the glareshield or on a tripod in the back with the legs stuck in the pockets of the front seat now.

Darren -
Nice videos. What cable are you using for audio? I bought a cable from Radio Shack but the audio is not as clear as yours. Very high pitch in the audio and engine noise.

Thanks

It's tricky to get full outside view and have panel instruments easily readable:

Took some of the flat, 3 strand 110v electrical cable and doubled it back on itself about five times, then loosely wrapped it with duct tape for total length of about one meter. One end gets taped to header tubing and the other end gets video cam taped in, forming a semi-flexible, heavy duty gooseneck so that the cam can just be grabbed and either pointed and left on panel instruments during flight testing or pushed to get peripheral scenery outside.

Only takes a second to adjust, experimenting with a single side strand to minimize cam vibration, particularly on the step.

Back